Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana--Germany Connection

Louisiana--Germany Connection

_DD_ suggested to meet in the Lounge rather than chat in the Discussion section. So this is a start.

My Louisiana connection to Germany starts back in the early 1700's when many of my German ancestors were brought to the Louisiana territory by the French government to settle the territory on the Mississippi River north of New Orleans. That area became known as the "Cote Des Allemands," or the German Coast.

More later . . .

Vincent
    One-Eye 57 town name: Tundra Prime
    started Township: Feb. 16, 2016 Platform: IOS (on iPad)
    Town Level: 177; Zoo: 188/188.
    Co-Op: Cajun Country 2 (w/ green shield & butterfly) #CJEG7J

hey, wow, THAT is a promising start! very good title, thrilling topic!
    no rush, I am sitting here and waiting - and bet, more audience will be here soon

====
    Little quote, so we don't forget what the origin was (of this thread <g> ) -- once we arrive in the current century:

Quote Originally Posted by One-Eye 57 View Post
    Been nearly 40 years since I've spent any time in Deutschland; my command of the German language has disappeared from lack of use. Thanks for using English!

Not to worry, DD; I will not be doing a detailed history of the last 300 years! Wanted to give a starting point for my interest in Germany and the language.

While the Germans were settled in Louisiana in the 1720's, they eventually lost their language and culture and were absorbed by the French. The Wolf family became Loup; Rommel became Rome; Himel became Hymel; etc.

My French ancestors were not the original French settlers of Louisiana, but came down the Ohio and Misssissippi Rivers from Canada in the 1750's. The original French made them settle in the German Coast west of New Orleans because they were considered "late-comers." All the same, they quickly dominated the Germans through intermarriage and greater affinity to the local government.

So even though by Blood origins, I'm more than 50% German, I grew up with French-Louisiana as my culture, and English as my first language, with French as a smaller second language. I remained curious about my origins and German culture and language. In college I finally had the chance to learn the language.

I was sent to Italy for graduate studies in the 1970's/80's, so took the opportunity to visit as much of Germany as possible. I was contracted by the US Military to be a civilian chaplain to an Army base in Hannau, near Frankfurt. It was a brief 2 months, but a great experience. I have great memories oh Munich and Bavaria, as well as other places. Sadly, since 1982, I have not been back.

All the same, I value my German Blood and heritage and wish there was more of the culture that was preserved in our area of Louisiana. Great food and all sorts of skills and talents.

That's much of my story. So, DD, care to share your area of your homeland to enlighten a would-be sharer of your land's beauty?

I did NOT worry, Vincent, I said "promising"! LOL - and it is absolutely fascinating, many thanks, danke schön!!

what an all-around-interested person you must be! Going from Italy to Germany to visit... and from Frankfurt to Munich! (It's considered "far" here - but I once had an Australian teacher, who told me about their ways/distances just to go shopping... since then: yes, everything here is around the corner. *g*)
    The only other person I know who looked into their heritage is also American. I wonder what that knowledge influences us. Can you tell me how/why you feel your German part/blood? (when it doesn't show up anywhere else in your environment, so to speak)?

And I had to google then Louisiana, of course, and then New Orleans, and French Quarters and... hey, they have an Aquarium of the Americas! and lots of zoo stuff, and a garden district - lots of Township, in other words! - AND! a Bourbon Street! LOL
    And it mentions Cajun! So much interesting "stuff"

I'm afraid I can't do anything similar (the less in English, but) also cos I didn't look in my ancestry. I had heard from my parents where their parents came from, but didn't remember enough to ever try and find out more. I guess I am just ... German.

I can only tell that I was born in Northern Germany, cos my mother was (from) there, moved to the middle of Germany at age 6 months with my parents, where I live ever since.
    That was the area around Heidelberg/Mannheim at first, and then, since my University times, Frankfurt/Main (Main being the river nearby, as differentiation from Frankfurt/Oder in the more eastern region). Your mentioning of Hanau shows me that you were here, close-by.
    Now I live in a ...Vorort of Frankfurt (on site??), cos I don't want the big city, except for visits. And as almost usual, I went far-elsewhere on holiday trips, lol.

DD, being American to me means being a NON-native. The original Americans, whom we call "Indians," allowed us in (then we took over), so my "native" lands of European origin have always called to my spirit of curiosity. I toured France more than Germany because I was more fluent, but I did my best to capture that German spirit.

From Oktoberfest in Munich, to visiting the Dom of Koeln (cannot get an umlaut on my keyboard), from the Lorelei on the Rhine, to a volksmarsch through the Black Forest, Oberammergau and Neuschwanstein, and the wonder of old Michelstadt, there is so much of Germany to see and enjoy and love!

I can understand wanting to live in a Vorort of Frankfurt (we call it a suburb) rather than in the city itself. New Orleans is really a collection of such small units, and locals rather claim living in a particular district rather than in the city of New Orleans. I'm happy to be 40 miles (64 km, I think) away, so I can visit when I need, but have the open space of country life as normal for me.

I can share more of my "slice" of Louisiana later.

Would like to add you as a game friend, but I'm not on Facebook. I could drop an inactive "friend" to make room for you so we could visit each other's game towns.

DD, being American to me means being a NON-native. The original Americans, whom we call "Indians," allowed us in (then we took over), so my "native" lands of European origin have always called to my spirit of curiosity.
    That is a convincing explanation (in the meaning, that I can follow/understand; I wasn't contradicting you anyway); thank you very much!

I toured France more than Germany because I was more fluent, but I did my best to capture that German spirit.

From Oktoberfest in Munich, to visiting the Dom of Koeln (cannot get an umlaut on my keyboard), from the Lorelei on the Rhine, to a volksmarsch through the Black Forest, Oberammergau and Neuschwanstein, and the wonder of old Michelstadt, there is so much of Germany to see and enjoy and love!
    France, too - was that all in the 2 months you mentioned above??
    I haven't been to all these places, but I think that's pretty normal for many to go "elsewhere". You've covered a good amount of famous/well-known places there! am amazed, though, that Michelstadt is among them; it's not so easy to find, I thought, but has indeed a beautiful town hall (! TS! lol) and Altstadt (old town??).
    I lived close by there for a few years also *g*.

btw and JIC, for umlauts on a PC or laptop keyboard, you can look here, and use the numpad:

http://techfrage.de/question/2614/um...tion-alt-code/

It is German, but has a picture (besides, you can start to refresh your German *g*) On a mobile device, one has to load a keyboard, it seems, which isn't worth it, if not used permanently.
    I was right away and am very impressed anyway that you know and remember how to replace them!

Thanks for the "suburb"! Distance-wise, yours sound similar, but I guess, "open space of country life" is a bit more rural than here (in general, would you call it rural?). They have been building like mad here the last year, and these mini gardens (mostly grass only) in front of some houses simply don't cut it. It's become more stone-grey than I like.

I can share more of my "slice" of Louisiana later.
    Yes, please! Ja, bitte!

Would like to add you as a game friend, but I'm not on Facebook. I could drop an inactive "friend" to make room for you so we could visit each other's game towns.
    That would be great! I don't do FB either, have reached my friends limit at the moment, but would love to keep you on pending, if you manage to send a request. Have a few there, so I keep checking for inactivity, too. The only draw-back is that you won't get a balloon from me.
    (sending data by PM in a minute)
    Last edited by _DD_; 05-08-2019 at 01:08 PM.

DD, as mentioned in the PM, my European travels and visits to Germany happened while I lived in Italy, so over 5 years, and not just during the 2 months I lived in Hanau.

Back to my slice of Louisiana, the German Coast on the Mississippi River, 40 miles north of New Orleans. We are more to the west of New Orleans rather than north, because the Mississippi where I live runs west to east more than north to south. As I mentioned earlier, the French government in the 1720's sent German debtors to Louisiana (their debts were paid off if they agreed to go to the "New World") to colonize the territory up river from New Orleans to create a buffer between the city and the native Americans. My French-Canadian ancestors came down the Mississippi in the 1750's and were likewise forced to settle in the area with the Germans. This was the French plan to absorb the Germans into the French culture, which is what happened. Many German names (or derivatives) remain, even if the culture disappeared. St. Charles was originally Karlstein. There was Augsburg and Hoffen (both of these disappeared) and Hahnville (which is still there).

My French are not exactly "Cajuns" because that name truly belongs to the Acadians/French deported by the British from Canada beginning in 1755. My family -- Dufresne -- left before the War and "La Grand Derangement." Cajuns settled even farther west of New Orleans, and arrived into the 1770's and later. But all of us who have French heritage get combined under the title: Cajun.

I belong to the "German-Acadian Coast Historical & Genealogical Society." We celebrate Oktoberfest and Bastille Day! We continue to identify and blend our ancestors' cultures, and we have fun researching how they arrived in Louisiana and from where in Europe they originated.

One of the fun things I did in Germany was teaching Cajun cooking while learning some German cooking! Something as simple as Red beans and rice with smoked sausage got rave reviews. Plus, we do a lot of seafood, which they enjoyed for new flavors. And I learned some Jaegar style dishes which fits our appetite for rabbit, goat, wild hogs, and such.

My home town, if you care to look it up, is Vacherie, Louisiana. I have a small home (1,200 square feet~112 m2) on a small piece of property (23m x 46m) on the Mississippi. I also still own about 10 acres (~4.05 hectares) of ancestral land, half farmland (sugar cane), and half swamp, good for alligators, turtles, and snakes! We have lived within a few kilometers of the land my French ancestors claimed in the 1750's. So this is definitely rural as you guessed!

The best-known Antebellum (pre Civil War) Plantation less than 10 kilometers from my home is Oak Alley Plantation, also in Vacherie. You can have some fun looking up some of these things!

I don't mind putting this info out here because I don't think any of this can be used to do harm. But if a Moderator needs to tell me to stop, please tell me, and/or delete whatever violates Forum protocol. Thanks!
    Last edited by One-Eye 57; 05-09-2019 at 12:07 AM.

I belong to the "German-Acadian Coast Historical & Genealogical Society." We celebrate Oktoberfest and Bastille Day! We continue to identify and blend our ancestors' cultures, and we have fun researching how they arrived in Louisiana and from where in Europe they originated.

One of the fun things I did in Germany was teaching Cajun cooking while learning some German cooking! Something as simple as Red beans and rice with smoked sausage got rave reviews. Plus, we do a lot of seafood, which they enjoyed for new flavors. And I learned some Jaegar style dishes which fits our appetite for rabbit, goat, wild hogs, and such.

My home town, if you care to look it up, is Vacherie, Louisiana. I have a small home (1,200 square feet~112 m2) on a small piece of property (23m x 46m) on the Mississippi. I also still own about 10 acres (~4.05 hectares) of ancestral land, half farmland (sugar cane), and half swamp, good for alligators, turtles, and snakes! We have lived within a few kilometers of the land my French ancestors claimed in the 1750's. So this is definitely rural as you guessed!

The best-known Antebellum (pre Civil War) Plantation less than 10 kilometers from my home is Oak Alley Plantation, also in Vacherie. You can have some fun looking up some of these things!
    wowzers, Vincent - many thanks! I sure have looked up a lot of what you talked about -- it's ONE of the reasons I am late in replying, so to speak, lol - and it is a really fascinating area with a history. I haven't been told such an overview before, although it might exist here also, for some area.

First I got lost in the "German-Acadian Coast Historical & Genealogical Society", their homepage, that is. I did NOT read all, lol, but criss-cross (? kreuz und quer). Woah, what folks can have time consuming interests - alone that website (with f.e. the queries!) is a miracle.
    BTW, found Oktoberfest, but not Bastille Day - any idea? just curious now, since you mentioned it.

Cooking is not my hobby, but I am amazed that no-one else jumped in on this already
    I remember, when I looked up Cajun at Wikipedia, the Cajun-Küche came up right away with it, lol - (Küche means rather culinary skill or "cuisine" in this context, not just the kitchen as room) - special enough to have its own entry!

I looked up Oak Alley Plantation also, what an impressive monument and idea! There's a wonderful pic of trees on <= that page! the Oak Alley, I guess - almost could be from Township

And I found Vacherie on the maps... Google maps, I guess (not sure, as I rarely use those), and suddenly it showed pictures of houses from there! I believe they look as you described yours - I am sooo envious now! Although... snakes and alligators?! ui, what do you do about them? hoping you don't meet them -?
    Last edited by _DD_; 05-11-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: forgot a question mark <g>

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    First I got lost in the "German-Acadian Coast Historical & Genealogical Society", their homepage, that is. I did NOT read all, lol, but criss-cross (? kreuz und quer). Woah, what folks can have time consuming interests - alone that website (with f.e. the queries!) is a miracle.
    BTW, found Oktoberfest, but not Bastille Day - any idea? just curious now, since you mentioned it.

Cooking is not my hobby, but I am amazed that no-one else jumped in on this already
    I remember, when I looked up Cajun at Wikipedia, the Cajun-Küche came up right away with it, lol - (Küche means rather culinary skill or "cuisine" in this context, not just the kitchen as room) - special enough to have its own entry!

I looked up Oak Alley Plantation also, what an impressive monument and idea! There's a wonderful pic of trees on <= that page! the Oak Alley, I guess - almost could be from Township

And I found Vacherie on the maps... Google maps, I guess (not sure, as I rarely use those), and suddenly it showed pictures of houses from there! I believe they look as you described yours - I am sooo envious now! Although... snakes and alligators?! ui, what do you do about them? hoping you don't meet them -?
    Overdue in reply because of other obligations; I knew that would happen. Glad you enjoyed a bit of web browsing about Louisiana! Bastille Day is observed by some in New Orleans, and not an event like Oktoberfest with the Historical Society.

I enjoyed the German "Cajun Cuisine" site. They did a great job summarizing our cooking. And it was fun re-working with the German language, even if my command of the vocabulary is poor; I could follow it well enough.

The wild life on my property and I never meet each other! I let them have the reign of the swamp, and the farmers take care of planting and harvesting the sugar cane. My little home is enough for me. I grew up there with parents and sister. Now Dad and Mom are deceased, and my sister lives in Texas, so I have it to myself. Good enough for me.

This little bit of conversing with you makes me dream of a return to Germany, maybe in a few years as I save resources. Any recommendations on "out of the way" places tourists rarely see, but which would be great for true German culture?

Will wait until you have time to respond!

Vincent

Overdue in reply because of other obligations ...
    it shouldn't become an obligation anyway and thanks for your reply again!

When looking again at your explanations re. the festivities coming from France and Germany, it's really a unique history, and esp. as it's still "live" today It must be great to live there.
    Even with snakes "somewhere out there" *g*. BTW, you have farmers on "your" land? Then "little" can only refer to your house, I guess.

LOL, happy to hear you could use the Wikipedia-entry about the Cajun-Küche as language-exercise! great idea It's no wonder you don't remember the whole vocab, apart from that one being special (as all special topics - I've been trying to explain some health things ingame in English lately, and it was impossible, as it's certainly not something you learn at (our) schools. Thanks heaven my current Coop-partner is an all-rounder in understanding, and we also resorted to Latin, although it's something I try exactly to forbid my Docs! lol) - after all this time and using English in gaming and fora only, my vocab wouldn't be up to a conversation about f.e. meals either!

This little bit of conversing with you makes me dream of a return to Germany, maybe in a few years as I save resources. Any recommendations on "out of the way" places tourists rarely see, but which would be great for true German culture?
    Good idea! and I hope you will start here! as mentioned before, I haven't been travelling in Germany much - my plans were also that later, I'd rather visit the friends in foreign countries that I made over the years online (and still hope for that, somewhen) - so don't know much about nice attractions here, but as you want non-tourist-places anyway, let me know your interests, and I can start looking! :-D

Besides, we have more German folks here - Leute, wo seid Ihr?? silently reading, eh?! lol - irgendwelche Vorschläge?
    or other visitors to Germany with suggestions?
    (that's still in the topic! just the other way round *g*)