Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumping

Dumping

As the leader of my co op I wish there was a way that I could limit how many dumps a member can make during a regatta.

Yeah, there's a lot of tools like that and seeing task progress that would be infinetly helpful to leaders and co-leaders.

Maybe outline in a message what you feel is an appropriate number of task dumps and the actions that will be taken if this is ignored. If memory serves me correctly, there's also an option to restrict who can reserve and dump tasks, so if it's just one person causing headaches you could always change their permission level. However, i don't think the permissions options includes dumping tasks they've undertaken, so for that you might need the threat of restricting them if they don't modify their behaviour. We do that in my co-op, on a kind of 3 strikes then you're out policy. Admittedly, the only ones we've kicked so far have been players who never completed a single task, so it will be a different case if your high volume dumper is also someone getting a good amount of tasks done. I guess in that case, you'd have to way up what's best for the co-op. If they're the only one getting tasks done, and the dumping is affecting everyone else, that's not a good thing.

Seriously I don't see how this is possible. Surely the number of tasks that need to be dumped by each person varies with the board and how active each of your members are?

If you are not a GLB team the amount of tasks a player dumps, straight from the board without starting them, has no effect on your race.

If a player is dumping the wrong sort of tasks you may need to restate your dumping strategy and limit the number of co-leaders and elders you have until you find who is dumping the wrong tasks. Otherwise really it is just about talking to your team, making sure everyone understands your strategy.

Not too sure about restricting people from the regatta for this...first you don't know who it is...second in my experience restricting people from the regatta as a punishment is the quickest way to get them to leave your co-op anyway.

People staying in your co-op for the sake of having numbers isn't the best strategy. My co-op, the players we restricted, then eventually kicked, were ones that never finished a task, yet would always dump them. Of course we didn't hit them with restriction or threat of booting straight away, even though they never helped either. We did try reaching out to them, offering advice and help, but they just didn't bother replying. So regardless of who they are, does that sound like someone you want in the co-op just for the sake of numbers? But, like I said in my earlier post, the first step is raising the issue in communication.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I would never advocate keeping players who don't follow rules for the sake of numbers. What I meant was I believe using restrict from regatta as a punishment feels wrong to me...this isn't why leaders asked for this feature and I am pretty sure it isn't why Playrix implemented it.

My theory, if people are continually breaking rules, not hitting targets, whatever, warn them, if it doesn't stop kick them out. Chances are if you restrict them they are going to leave anyway so why not just kick them.

This is a personal view though, I'm not a fan of restrict from regatta overall, so my opinion is just that...an opinion.

It doesn't alter the essence of what we are both saying... the key to managing dumping, as it is with any aspect of leading a co-op, is communication.

Ah, now I get you. As for punishment, I can't really think of a way restrict could be used for punishment, unless the Co-op has some pretty bad rules to begin with or they dont bother communicating with each other. Used properly, it's really a tool of last resort, but a kinder one than booting players or downgrading priveleges (eg. demoting co-leaders and elders or locking down access to reserving tasks). But differences of perspective aside, we both seem to agree making an effort to communicate and clarify is the first step anyone should take before looking at what tools are available. After all, things happen in the real world that are outside our control sometimes, so it's good to get the full story first

Quote Originally Posted by Ashdust View Post
    Seriously I don't see how this is possible. Surely the number of tasks that need to be dumped by each person varies with the board and how active each of your members are?

If you are not a GLB team the amount of tasks a player dumps, straight from the board without starting them, has no effect on your race.

If a player is dumping the wrong sort of tasks you may need to restate your dumping strategy and limit the number of co-leaders and elders you have until you find who is dumping the wrong tasks. Otherwise really it is just about talking to your team, making sure everyone understands your strategy.

Not too sure about restricting people from the regatta for this...first you don't know who it is...second in my experience restricting people from the regatta as a punishment is the quickest way to get them to leave your co-op anyway.
    Completely agree Ashdust, limiting how many tasks a player can dump just wouldn't work. If a co-op is having trouble with members dumping tasks they shouldn't, then as you suggest the leader needs to limit who can dump NOT how many they can dump.

Also I'm not a fan of restricting and as you mention in your other post I don't think it was created to be used as a punishment either. If talking to a member in my co-op doesn't work I would remove them from the co-op, I can't see the benefit of restricting under those circumstances .

There's always the possibility that being restricted makes them realise they're not playing a single player game and they finally open up the game chat to find out why they've been restricted. For our leadership group, it's being as fair as we can posibly be, before letting them go. Being restricted still lets them have access to requests and to help out if they choose to. If they choose to see it as punishment and continue to ignore our help, then leaving or waiting to get booted makes no difference, obviously they and our co-op weren't a good fit.

But as for what restriction is supposed to be used for, it seems 'the intended purpose' is very poorly defined if players think it was created with the intent of addressing particularly niche situations that prohibit its use in any other situation. If the forum is to go by, its 'intended purpose' is to provide a button that is easily hit by accident in order to encourage people to use the game chat. Maybe there's more to it than just a tool to enable players to race before going on vacation prior to season end, but without messing up Gold League stats.

Anyway, OP will figure out what's best for their co-op. Hopefully it all works out and happy players is the outcome

I'm certainly not saying it's use is prohibited for reasons other than being able to restrict a racer if they are inactive or unable to log in and race, but overwhelmingly this is the reason most players requested it in the first place.

Each co-op will have their own set of rules on its use. As Ashdust said and I echoed the sentiment, we are not a great fan of the restrict function anyway. I personally feel if it takes restricting a player to make them come to chat and discuss the issue, I already know they are not right for my Co-op.

Obviously different leaders will have different approaches as to how they handle things in their co-op, which is great, it means their will always be the right co-op out there for a player to find. Certainly no rights and wrongs, just different points of view.

Thanks for sharing your perspective on the issue Redwing, it's always nice to hear both sides .

First I apologise to Jeffrey (and the mods) for this going so far off topic...I was merely responding to Redwing's suggestion that it may be a good idea to threaten to restrict people to get them to comply with the co-ops dumping policy.

About intended use though...i was on the forum when co-op leaders kept asking for a way to change a member's racing status, the reasons given were all good ones, players have internet issues, game isn't working, players are ill etc. At the time a lot of people expressed concern that this feature would be an invasion of privacy and it could be misused, alternatives were suggested...making default status opted out etc. But Playrix bought this in anyway.

And yes Redwing, you are right, there is nothing to stop people from using this feature as they wish, I was just saying I don't believe if leaders had asked to be able to restrict players from racing, because those players were not following co-op rules that this feature would ever have been implemented.

Thing is, we do have it and like Downton points out different co-ops will use it differently, one of the best parts of the game, so many different styles of play and everyone can find a co-op that suits their style.