Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do I want experience again?

Why do I want experience again?

I'm level 22 after playing for 2-3 days, and I'm wondering if maybe experience is a bad thing.

I'm behind on buildings and every time I level up, I get more buildings I'm not ready for yet, but the game also gets harder. Customers request goods in factories I don't have, and it takes longer to cancel those requests.

I finally figured out that I don't have to build all the community buildings right away and reduced the number of open buildings from 4 down to 2. (And now I read that the distribution isn't random? I had figured that 2 would give me some flexibility, but that only applies if the building materials are random.)

And then the city market shelves sell goods for more than I can sell them for, so I can lose money? And gain experience (which is bad) for doing so? Why do I want to buy goods here? Maybe to start up a factory that isn't producing?

There's been much debate on this. I have heard that you should focus on ONLY one building at a time...BUT if you ever deviate from this, the whole thing gets thrown into chaos. From experience with my baby town, even working on one at a time doesn't make it a perfect process.

Early in the game, I used the market when I truly needed an item(s) to keep from sending a plane out half-full. Otherwise, every coin was pinched with great vigour.

Quick hint: Once you buy a factory, GAME ON! Supposedly your township believes that they should be the very first one(s) to get NEW product. Imagine it like new clothes on a fashion runway or a new model of Porsche. Someone will always be striving to be the first to have it! The only suggestion is dump township requests when they come and hope that it doesn't affect your next plane. Now the hint: I always send a plane off before buying a new factory. I know I have at least 5 hours that way.

Last hint: Don't rush. Or what you are experiencing may be ongoing for another 70+ levels.
    Town: Is it supposed to stay the same?
    Co-op: Global Ninja Farmers (Tag: #GRRK3R)
    Level: 115 . . . .
    Friend Code: A8QUW3

Active Since: September 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Will9455Nikki View Post
    There's been much debate on this. I have heard that you should focus on ONLY one building at a time...BUT if you ever deviate from this, the whole thing gets thrown into chaos. From experience with my baby town, even working on one at a time doesn't make it a perfect process.

Early in the game, I used the market when I truly needed an item(s) to keep from sending a plane out half-full. Otherwise, every coin was pinched with great vigour.

Quick hint: Once you buy a factory, GAME ON! Supposedly your township believes that they should be the very first one(s) to get NEW product. Imagine it like new clothes on a fashion runway or a new model of Porsche. Someone will always be striving to be the first to have it! The only suggestion is dump township requests when they come and hope that it doesn't affect your next plane. Now the hint: I always send a plane off before buying a new factory. I know I have at least 5 hours that way.

Last hint: Don't rush. Or what you are experiencing may be ongoing for another 70+ levels.
    What's the algorithm? I'd like to know the algorithm and make up my own mind.

Also, they will ask for products when I haven't started building the factory yet. Therein lies the problem when I'm several factories behind. I repeat, I didn't even begin the building process and they asked for products from it.

Here's a strategy I found -- don't fill orders, but sell them off from your storage directly. You get about 90% of value, but you don't get that dreaded experience. It allows you a chance to catch up.

I believe the theory is that as soon as you are able to build a factory by reaching the correct level you will start receiving orders for items from that factory through the helicopters. This is easy to cancel and the maximum wait time for a new order is 30 minutes.

The airport should only start asking for items from a factory if you not only have the level but you have enough coins to buy it too. Meaning it is best to buy a factory as soon as you have the cash for it. Again if you wish you can cancel aeroplane orders.

Trains should only ask for items from a factory once you start building it, because they can't be deleted.

For all these orders the market can be a useful tool, but you don't have to use it and yes, you will normally be charged more than you can sell the item for...but if it is the last thing you need for a train or a plane it can be helpful.

No idea exactly what the algorithm is and pretty sure the developers will not be sharing it with us, but from experience and the experience of the very helpful members on here, one community building at a time is the best way to go. Totally your choice though, we all play our own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin R Karat View Post
    What's the algorithm? I'd like to know the algorithm and make up my own mind.
    No one is sure of an "algorithm". There are a number of "Best Practice" recommendations floating around that seem to work for most people. One is certainly the "build only 1 Community Building at a time". Another is to "sell of all but 1 of any excess building materials you have to encourage the trains to bring more". Since no one here has access to the game's code, we have no idea if there is an "algorithm" that takes your current requirements and inventory into account and then either biases the train materials in your favor (or as some other's claim, biases it against you). Take all such recommendations with the proverbial grain of salt.

Also, they will ask for products when I haven't started building the factory yet. Therein lies the problem when I'm several factories behind. I repeat, I didn't even begin the building process and they asked for products from it.
    What we do know is true is that the game will produce Helicopter orders and Plane requests for products from Factories you are at *able* to built because of your town level, independently of whether you've started building them yet or if they are under construction. The fact that you *could* build the factory is enough to trigger the request for those products. Helicopter orders can be cancelled, planes can be sent empty / incomplete so those requests cannot "hang up" your game. Trains cannot be sent partially full so the game will never request products unless you actually have the factory built / completed. And, of course, you have other ways of obtaining those products, market boxes, co-op requests, general requests for crate help, and/or hiring Raja, the Market Guy.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    What we do know is true is that the game will produce Helicopter orders and Plane requests for products from Factories you are at *able* to built because of your town level, independently of whether you've started building them yet or if they are under construction. The fact that you *could* build the factory is enough to trigger the request for those products.
    Not to disagree Yoda but in my experience, I do not ever recall having been asked for an item on my plane if I had not at the very least purchased the factory. Helicopter orders? Sure. But never a plane crate. I specifically held off on building factories if I had other items needing coin.

Granted, things change, and this is only from my experience and to the absolute best of my on again / off again memory.

Are you and Ashdust certain of the plane part?

Quote Originally Posted by Will9455Nikki View Post
    Not to disagree Yoda but in my experience, I do not ever recall having been asked for an item on my plane if I had not at the very least purchased the factory. Helicopter orders? Sure. But never a plane crate. I specifically held off on building factories if I had other items needing coin.

Granted, things change, and this is only from my experience and to the absolute best of my on again / off again memory.

Are you and Ashdust certain of the plane part?

Sorry, I didn't notice the note collision with Ash, she types way faster than I do She may be right about the "have enough coins to purchase". I never looked that closely at the timing I've never really been short of coins by the time I reached the higher levels for factories so I would have always had enough. I know I avoided starting the last 3 (Bouquet, Italian Restaurant, and Festive) until recently and bought all I needed for planes and helicopter from Raja. Finally I dumped 2.5Million coins into building all 3 at once. Now the trains are asking for those but I didn't pay attention to when they exactly started asking, while they were building or when they were finished.

I'm trying to come up with some Yoda-like wisdom here...I got nothing

1) So, what I'm hearing is confirming the idea that experience is bad. You want money, not experience.

2) Do people give reasons for 1 community building at a time? Do we have any reason to believe the buildings you have influence the materials you get, or is it just randomness and superstition?

1) So, what I'm hearing is confirming the idea that experience is bad. You want money, not experience.
    I would say that you want to find a balance. But early in the game, I believe that creating a coin base is more pressing. (Upgrade factories for time/coin, not experience early on; adjust later in life.)

2) Do people give reasons for 1 community building at a time? Do we have any reason to believe the buildings you have influence the materials you get, or is it just randomness and superstition?
    The reason that I recall was that Playrix algorithms (if there is indeed such a thing) work toward you being able to complete a single building prior to levelling up to the point of the next building. With multiple buildings in play, the algorithm is thrown out and results become purely random. And as cdosr said, whether "algorithm" is nothing more than "best practice" based upon experience, nobody that knows will say. If it is superstition, I recommend throwing salt over your shoulder. (Is it the left shoulder or the right?) You never know.

One of the beauties of this game is that it allows for many playing styles so "good / bad" are relative. One person's advice may not suit another player. There are some things that are worth a "rush to level", repairing the Airport or the Mine or the Co-op Building being three things that help in the long term development of the town. Getting a 2nd and then 3rd train too. Once you reach a comfortable playing level, experience can become less important and many folks do experience the "glut of CBs" due to leveling up too quickly and then trying to build them all. Things get more expensive too. At some point I did regret that my first few factory upgrades focused on Experience rather than Coins.

Secondly, I'm not going to label things as pure superstition but sometimes people assume "correlation equals causation". Some things appear to work. The "why" is a mystery and urban legends are born. Ancient peoples avoided volcanic cave systems because people died in them. Not knowing about the dangers of breathing hydrogen sulfide gas, dragons seemed a reasonable explanation at the time. But regardless of the explanation, avoiding the cave systems was good advice.

My personal superstition is that two things are true. One is that materials are provided using a uniform randomness, the simplest way to do things. Uniform does not mean a totally even distribution, just that over time, thousands upon thousands of samples, things come out "even". Flip a coin 100 times and you will hardly ever get 50 heads and 50 tails. Flip a coin 1 Million times and it will be very close to 50/50. However, you are not retaining every delivered piece of building material, you have a limited space barn plus you have other priorities and any excess materials is useless. Selling the excess in light of limited barn space is a good strategy hence the recommendation. This is even more true if you try to build more than 1 CB at a time, every piece of material that does not advance the building of one of them is excess. If you have the space, it will help with the 2nd building, if not, sell the excess.

The other thing that is true is that like a watched pot, it seems like forever before it will come to a boil. If you are watching for that last brick, every train that does not bring a brick is something you notice, often with irritation. I tend to check on my building supplies infrequently, sometimes only after getting the dreaded "barn is full" message. Then I go through my progressions of what I can trim / use / sell.

While it's not exactly "building supplies", for over 18 months I've been keeping track of my "barn expansion tools". Steadfastly refusing to sell any, allowing excesses to build up and shrink, sometimes hammers, sometimes nails. Over 7200+ tools, Red Paint is +12, Nails +9. That's the extent of the differences, almost a perfect 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 distribution. So I'm not convinced there's a biased algorithm lurking in the game.

However, the "build 1 at a time" is a sound strategy if you are trying to manage limited barn space. Selling the excess will help with that but will discard some material you will eventually need. You are trading off barn space now for waiting longer later. This is a game of tradeoffs.
    Last edited by cdosr; 03-28-2019 at 07:37 PM.