Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    aww, Ruud, can't see the pics in post #9, your last one!

Those in your post before are fine - wow, so many different apes! and what colo(u)rs!
    in your zoo: where is the little extra gorilla eating bananas?? (hope you got him!?)

amazing... first you brought us hordes of thick skins, then the sheep, so many sheeps, lol, now these... Thanks!

​wondering where Cody is, our former zoo keeper...guess he'd like this..? (I do NOT mean the zoo changes!)
    Yes I noticed the problem with the last post. I'll try to repair them soon.

20190317_184512.jpg
    Just take a good look. The fifth Gorilla is right there (or in this case on the left behind the enclose )
    With 38 species to choose from new Monkey families are very welcome in my town in near future.
    Then this area could be much wider and like in real Apenheul the Zoo restaurant and the Petting Zoo will be added there.
    In the real Zoo Parc there are areas with free Monkeys where you have to keep your food products, keys and other small stuff in a special bag.
    In the Monkey-free zones you can take a rest and eat and drink without the risc of robbery

Really hope to read some of Cody's Zoo keepers stories.
    It was one of my reasons to start this thread.
    And of course as Zoo visitors everyone else is invited to share your stories.
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 03-17-2019 at 07:59 PM.

yay, now the pics are there! cuties there, too!

and the little gorilla, too - I must have looked more at the lower enclosure

lol @ the special bags! very wise (btw, in your other sentence you mean "without the risk of robbery", right? they do not come out?)

BTW, does Apenheul mean something in your language (apen...? Affen?); Google translate doesn't find anything.

.. lol @ the special bags! very wise (btw, in your other sentence you mean "without the risk of robbery", right? they do not come out?)...

BTW, does Apenheul mean something in your language (apen...? Affen?); Google translate doesn't find anything.
    I added the 'out'

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Ruud View Post
    .... 'apen' means 'apes' or 'monkeys' and 'heul' is an archaic Dutch word for 'refuge' or 'safe place'. People have more fun with animals when the animals are having a good time and can do their own thing. So no cages but large green natural habitats in a wooded area. That is the Apenheul concept.....
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 03-17-2019 at 09:10 PM.

By the way Apenheul is not the only Zoo with Gorilla's living on an island.
    In Blijdorp Zoo it was the same situation for years.
    Next to the Thick skins a group of Gorilla's were situated. Leader of this group was a young Silver back named... Bokito!
    20190318_000336.jpg
    In May 2007 he jumped over the canal of his enclosure to attack a woman that visited him about four times every week.
    She was convinced he liked her when she made eye contact with him through the window of his inner residence and played with him.
    With a big jump over the water he made himself world-famous.
    After that incident the Gorilla enclosure has been thoroughly renovated in a way that this male monkey raised by humans cannot escape anymore.
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 03-17-2019 at 11:04 PM.

...'apen' means 'apes' or 'monkeys' and 'heul' is an archaic Dutch word for 'refuge' or 'safe place'. People have more fun with animals when the animals are having a good time and can do their own thing. So no cages but large green natural habitats in a wooded area. That is the Apenheul concept.
    LOL! good grief, I READ it, I swear! I remember I liked the no cages concept
    ok, we won't discuss my memory ability now - thanks for... reminding me! ;-D

the attachment in your post about the other zoo doesn't show again.
    When you say "attack", did Bokito reach the woman?

. .... When you say "attack", did Bokito reach the woman?...
    Strange, when I change the format of the pic and attach it again it works better then downloading it and attach it directly after that.

Yes, the woman was bitten several times and Bokito has dragged her over the ground for meters.
    Between all the panicking visitors he ran into a Zoo restaurant nearby and on this run two people were lightly wounded.
    In a short time the whole Zoo was evacuated.
    In the restaurant a zoo keeper succeeded in anesthetize the big Ape and after that the Ape was taken back to his enclosure.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RICvxpWSrAw
    Sorry it is a Dutch video: you see the woman 'playing' with Bokito and his response to her behavior.
    Comments by the Zoo director and a story of people in the restaurant where the monkey is too.

Why he might did it is told in next link:
    https://invisiblecollege.weblog.leid...rilla-that-es/

This event will always be on my mind. It happened on the day after Ascension Day.
    I had planned to go to Blijdorp Zoo that day but my youngest son was too ill to enjoy this visit.
    Sometimes things happen for a reason...
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 03-17-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Strange, when I change the format of the pic and attach it again it works better then downloading it and attach it directly after that.
    The format change alone might do it, and/or it might also make the pic smaller for uploading.

Sorry it is a Dutch video: you see the woman 'playing' with Bokito and his response to her behavior.
    Comments by the Zoo director and a story of people in the restaurant where the monkey is too.
    yes, would have been probably interesting to understand them, but I take it from the explanation article, it's just a collection of assumptions anyway, and I don't want to keep myself busy with it any longer now, as I find both the ape scaring, even when sitting behind glas, and the woman's behavio(u)r, as shown at the beginning, strange (exaggerated might be the word).
    In any case I'm glad you and your family weren't there! And don't misunderstand me, pls: thanks for providing the story and materials! just, now lets go back to the cute animals and/or cute things about them, pls

Yes, that is a good idea _DD_
    Beside the visits to several zoos there is another thing that basically formed my interest in designing Zoo, Town and Window sill.
    20190318_110337.jpg
    And the secret for that was hidden in a dark blue gift box in my child hood...

Beside the visits to several zoos there is another thing that basically formed my interest in designing Zoo, Town and Window sill.
    20190318_110337.jpg
    And the secret for that was hidden in a dark blue gift box in my child hood...

wow - building up anticipation again, huh?!

wow - building up anticipation again, huh?!

Well I don't what that box was used for before but I used it as a kid for collecting my... Toy animals!
    Through the years I got a lot of animal sets and what a great time it was emptying the box and building up a zoo from scratch.

Of course there were a lot of double animals. Lions, Tigers, Elephants and Icebears were in every set so I had a lot of them.
    And that brings me to the next Animal family: the Tigers!
    tigervalley.jpg
    Today the Tigers in Rotterdam Zoo live in a Tiger Creek but in my childhood Blijdorp Zoo (together with the Zoo in Leipzig) was called the Tiger Factory. In 1960s and 1970s many Tiger babies were born there; sometimes 18 a week.
    So breeding this animal was very successful these days but to safe space a lot of the Tigers were kept in cages.
    As a kid I was not so much aware of animal welfare jet so in my little zoo I did the same with my Toy tigers.

Playing Zoo was a way to create my own dream world so that box was very precious to me.
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 03-18-2019 at 02:07 PM.