Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    hm, where did the 5th page go?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Lyons View Post
    Thanks Rocky and DD. I have a gazillion stories so when I start boring you please tell me to shut up.
    promised but so far, far from it! I see questions coming, lol. So far, the first: a run in is something like a quarrel? and was the reason for your "punishment"?
    and that were stressed rats eating their babies, right? do more (not wanting to say "all") animals do that, when stressed like that, i.e. from the babies?

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    ... and that were stressed rats eating their babies, right? do more (not wanting to say "all") animals do that, when stressed like that, i.e. from the babies?
    About that last question: I know that Red Panda's need several Nest boxes in their enclosures to keep them from eating their babies. It got something to do with opportunities to switch nest in case of emergency.

And getting bored of stories, no never!

Good morning!. Catch up post. I read this thread from the beginning and visited everyone's zoo (except DD's. Could see how to get there).

Rocky I love how you have incorporated so many regatta decos into you zoo design. Very clever!

Piper I like zoos with lots of water and lots of areas to sit and rest you feet. You have great little park areas and picnic spots. Love your topiary garden!

Janice your zoo is so bright and colorful. What a happy place. Beautiful waters filled with swan boats.

Katville I love your back corner -- Egyptian desert area, cool patterned sidewalk, and that wonderful block of rainbow trees!

Page 5 is "missing" because I had a big double post and Bess kindly removed it for me.

In zoo terms all the thick skinned animals are called pachyderms. Which is Greek for "thick" and "skin". Being a biologist I love looking at scientific names (Greek or Latin based)

Raptors comes from the same word root as rapacious, meaning seizing or grasping. It is used for birds of prey because of their grasping feet/talons. But crocodiles certainly rapacious too!

Not that it matters, and game name aside, I am actually a 62 year old female. When I was working at the Florida teaching zoo I was in my early 20s. So zoos have changed a lot in 40 years!

Town: Lyons Station
    Friend code: 4B8TTC
    Co-op name: Freedom of the Seas
    #FREK7G
    I started playing Township in order to build my own zoo (I am a former zookeeper)

And now to your questions. Yes a "run-in" is a quarrel or disagreement. I am a 6' tall strong smart independent female. And at 22 I was not always tempered by wisdom. Lol I don't even remember why I was being punished but putting me in the rat range was the worst thing he could think of doing to me. But it was a great experience. Rats are extremely clever and given the chance extremely clean. They make excellent pets. We raised them to feed the snakes and raptors so good production was important. Happy clean rats make lots of babies.

A very elegant experiment was done by a man named Calhoun in the 60s and 70s. He put populations of Norway rats in a "utopian" set up ... perfect housing, lots of food and water, etc... And watched what happened. Huge population growth then lots of problems like violence, cannbalism, poor parenting, incest, etc. Now rats are not humans but parallels were drawn to problems with overpopulation, social interactions (too much interaction or even isolation due to shallow interactions). Interesting experiment.

So yes stress can cause abnormal behavior in animals. Cannibalism of young is common. And some mammals (rabbits, rodents, some marsupials) actually reabsorb their embryos if environmental conditions are bad.

Interesting point about red pandas Rocky. That makes lots of sense!

#FREK7G
    I started playing Township in order to build my own zoo (I am a former zookeeper)

Hi Cody,

ooh, first of all, sorry! I don't remember whether it was something in one of your posts or what, that made me think you are male; I usually take care NOT to assume this, although - or because - we tend to call everything and everyone "he" in German (as we don't use the equivalent of the English "they" in case of not knowing).

Many thanks for your answers! and next questions right away: was your job choice unusual for a woman these 40 years ago?

What is special about Norway rats; just their origin..? why do we notice that, are Dutch rats so different?

The experiment by Calhoun... is something that would not be done anymore these days, is that correct? for animal protection, I'd guess, here the rats? as in, why do it, if the parallels to humans can only be vague assumptions? would they have been better, btw, with different animals, or are rats indeed similar to humans?
    (really just asking, pls, no reproach to anyone)

I am not sure I (want to) understand re-absorbing embryos... despite being impressed about nature, can we also have a story about ...well, let's say a birthday party or some other delightful happenings, pls?

And don't forget, pls, to tell us about your decisions for zoo design here, too! even if closed now (will you get the new animals?), it could be great advice for others (if we ignore HOW to get animals now), and I'd simply be curious.

BTW, I can PM you my Coop name/tag, to visit my zoo, but as I described earlier, my zoo is not worth a visit anymore (IMO). It was just Ruud's creativity that still finds inspiration everywhere

DD no worries. Cody is a male name. You can call me anything you want just not "late to dinner"! Lol and, yes, zoo keeping was a bit unusual for women in the 70s. But women are (usually) caretaking/nurturing by nature so it is a good fit.

I would love to see your zoo. We are all works in progress.

How about a happy baby fact about our new armadillos? They always have identical quadruplets. Their eggs divide into four identical embryos. Pretty cool. We had lots of armadillos in Florida so the addition of that animal made me smile. Another weird fact ... for many decades Amarillo were used in leprosy research.

Rats and mice are used in animal research because they are easy to house and feed and they reproduce rapidly. And, realistically, many people still consider them vermin. They are still used in research today and accredited labs are highly regulated for the ethical treatment of animals. Obviously results from rodent research cannot be directly correlated to humans but we are both mammals so some parallels can be drawn. I understand that many people are totally against using any live animals for research. But I feel utilizing rodents respectfully is a far lesser evil than using primates which have been used in our unenlightened past.

I need to get started on some yardwork. Springtime in Ohio is dicey so I need to make the sunshine count. I will share my design decision making soon. Promise. Everyone have a lovely Saturday.
    Last edited by Cody Lyons; 03-23-2019 at 02:43 PM.

#FREK7G

DD no worries. Cody is a male name. You can call me anything you want just not "late to dinner"! Lol and, yes, zoo keeping was a bit unusual for women in the 70s. But women are (usually) caretaking/nurturing by nature so it is a good fit...
    Well, my apologies too for thinking you are male, Cody.
    It reminds me of a story told by one of the Volunteers who gave a tour during a 'Blijdorp by night'.
    This is an event organized in Rotterdam Zoo including dinner and a walk through the park in twilight.
    She told us a remarkable fact: the Zoo decided to replace all male Zoo keepers involved in the care for the Asian Elephant herd.
    A culture had emerged among this group of colleagues in which 'rooster behavior' prevailed.
    And this Male energy effected the group of female animals. The guys got another job in other parts of the Zoo.
    The care for the Elephant matriachate since then is in hands of a group of female Zoo keeper's.
    And that switch brought rest back in the group.

Hopefully you enjoyed your gardening work
    Have a nice Saturday

DD no worries. Cody is a male name. You can call me anything you want just not "late to dinner"!
    no worries, I won't as I won't make dinner. *G*

Lol and, yes, zoo keeping was a bit unusual for women in the 70s. But women are (usually) caretaking/nurturing by nature so it is a good fit.
    oh we are good in a lot of things was just curious whether you met some "resistance", f.e. also at school (called school where you learned?) or in tests/exams?

I would love to see your zoo. We are all works in progress.
    It's exactly doubtful whether my zoo IS still progressing; it has changed a lot, and not for the better IMO. But maybe yes, as I just made room for the two new enclosures. Not that I will be able to "open" these last 6 or 8 in the foreseeable future, but well... I'll PM you my codes

How about a happy baby fact about our new armadillos? They always have identical quadruplets. Their eggs divide into four identical embryos. Pretty cool. We had lots of armadillos in Florida so the addition of that animal made me smile.
    that's funny-strange indeed Did you see that this is (partly) said in the game in their description?

Re rats and mice... I would beg to differ indeed. But think it's not a discussion for now and here. But what about the country name in their name (Norway rats); what would it tell you in comparison with other names like that, if there are more?

Hey, you could post some pics of your garden in the Lounge, when something can be seen of your work there (i.e. results)! ;-D
    Last edited by _DD_; 03-24-2019 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added another question ;-)

Morning! It's rainy here today so I can rest my body. Lol Cleaned up 5 wheelbarrow of tree deadfall and got it burned plus planted my peas!! So I am off to a good start. I don't know how to post pics but my avatar is a pic of my garden's black-eyed susans. (Oops, guess you can't see it in the forums. Will try to figure out how to post it here).

Quick topic clean-up: I never bothered with anyone telling me I couldn't do something as a female. I sometimes did notice when I was the only woman trying it though.

Lots of animals are named after the person who "discovered" them or the area in which they were found. As far as a know rats are basically all rats. Animals do evolve to fit their environments. Big cats all have similar characteristics but lions differ from tigers differ from jaguars due to their environments.

Guess I need to read the animal book on our two new critters. Excellent choices! I love red pandas. Playrix does do a good job on animal selection. All the basics plus some wonderful surprises. Still am amazed with the snow monkeys!

Someone asked earlier what I liked about new vs old zoos. The animal care in new zoos is exponentially better over the last 40 years. And I believe will keep improving with technology and our expanding knowledge of genetics. Now if we can just improve our conservation efforts to enable release back in to natural habitats. To me that is the ultimate goal of zoos - education and conservation.

What I love about old zoos is their architecture. When I visit zoos about 30% of my pictures are of the zoo itself. I love the old building with carved stone facades. I love animal statuary, esp. if it is interactive and kids can hug it or climb on it. I love mature trees, gardens, and plantings. And big duck ponds filled with fountains. New zoos are sometimes lacking in those features.

I kept those preferences I mind when I designed my township zoo. I somewhat grouped my animals via regions/biomes/countries of origin. This was challenging because I didn't know what animal would be added next. I definitely bought all the statues. Playrix did a fabulous job with them. And I tried to scatter little gardens or playgrounds throughout the zoo where one could sit and rest a bit. I also scattered my buildings and restaurants throughout the zoo. Nothing like walking to the farthest end of the zoo and nary a restroom (or coca-cola) in sight!
    Last edited by Cody Lyons; 03-25-2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Dang kindle typos drive me crazy!!!

#FREK7G

Cody thank you for all the zoo information. When I was growing up at about them same time as you were I thought zoos could be terrible places for animals. Even though I loved going to the zoo I always wished the animals could have a happier life.
    The Denver zoo has come a long way from what it used to be in the design of habitat for the animals.
    While I would rather have animals spend their lives in the wild it is necessary to have zoos for study and for people who will never be able to see them in the wild be able to know about them. That is the only way we will be able to preserve the many wonderful animals of our planet.
    Town: Katucket
    Co-op: Flying Cloud #FYWW7J
    Playing on Kindle since August 2017