Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    so you inherited this love for animals, and keeping oneself busy with them (as a hobby, but more than just visiting them, dunno the right words)
    Even if you don't know the right words I understand what you mean
    And there was more in childhood that was connect to zoo life.
    In the 1960s there was a Dutch Children's book about a young girl named Lotje and her adventures in and around.. a Zoo!
    Lotje lives on the edge of the zoo where her father is a vet. This allows her to visit the animals every day.
    And of course there is always something going on in a zoo with a thousand animals.
    Lotje helps uncle Nijltje, the keeper, with feeding the hippos and the camels, she is allowed to go with her father to pick up seals and a baby elephant and together with her brother Joost she catches the naughty monkeys who already have three set the zoo on stilts for weeks.
    There is a series of twelve books full of stories about her adventures.
    The stories of Lotje could also be heard on the radio and there was a long play album with songs from the radio stories.
    So the new CB could be inspirational... Too bad it cannot be placed in the Zoo.

me? no connection to any experiences. I saw a wonderful zoo on the plane Leaderboard, which vanished meanwhile, alas, and got the idea there NOT to build just squares for the enclosures.
    I just built what was or became available, until zoo lvl 16 or somesuch. I had more expansions cleared than enclosures, or somehow moremspace, so I decorated there quite a bit, the little yellow car with flowers with one of the children's playground thingies and such. I just loved playing with what was there, both animals- and children-(play-)wise. It was a "game" in its best meaning.

With the zoo change, I lost interest in decorating there, esp. because of the ugly bubbles floating everywhere. Sooo unrealistic (even) in my fantasy world.
    But also cos of the chaos with getting animals now, they are sitting in my book and there's no structure to getting them. So I put most stuff in storage, put the animals "in a row", so to speak, and am waiting for the thing to finish itself somehow.
    And yes, just tested it with one request and have again 8 of 8 asking for nine items at least once.

so, will rather keep reading here about the experience of others
    I feel the same about nowadays Zoo orders and what a great solution a 'delete'-button will be for a lot of us.
    Hope the Devs will understand that that could fix a lot of frustration about New Zoo

It is great to see that I am not the only one that has some inspiration used in building the Zoo.
    Still looking forward to some of Cody's experiences in his working live as Zoo keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Ruud View Post

I feel the same about nowadays Zoo orders and what a great solution a 'delete'-button will be for a lot of us.
    Hope the Devs will understand that that could fix a lot of frustration about New Zoo
    That would indeed be great... but as you might have seen in the thread where a LOT of forumers asked for a Delete-button, Anna didn't answer anymore, when I asked about an ETA (estimated time of arrival here ).

Maybe send Cody a PM?

Did you tell your children about Lotje?

and I forgot to ask earlier: the Tiger pic that your Dad made got lost?

I have added a pic of the TS zoo that inspired me to my post on the page before. It was f.e. the little streak of water next to the enclosures that I liked (and not ALL water) and also how she used these one-pieces-of-road as little bridges towards the enclosure interior/the animals. My thing is fantasy, and so I didn't need / want fences and such, not much anyway, but liked the idea of being able to go everywhere.
    Last edited by _DD_; 03-19-2019 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added links

That would indeed be great... but as you might have seen in the thread where a LOT of forumers asked for a Delete-button, Anna didn't answer anymore, when I asked about an ETA (estimated time of arrival here ).

Maybe send Cody a PM?

Did you tell your children about Lotje?

and I forgot to ask earlier: the Tiger pic that your Dad made got lost?
    I'll take the time to PM Cody. Thanks for the advice.

Many things from the past went to my brothers and sister after the death of my parents. The series about Lotje will have ended up with my sister.
    So I guess there was no opportunity to tell my kids about Lotje. But they loved it when I read them books.
    And my grandchildren Jim(4) and Tess(2) love to sit on my lap while we are 'reading' Picture books.

My father's paintings are with my youngest brother. He lived opposite my parents and really has the space to hang them up. I believe the Tigers are now hanging in the back garden and surrounded by ivy. Not my choice but I simply had no room for it.
    A painting with rival wild horses hangs above his stairwell and my dad once painted a portrait of him so that must have found a place there.

I also inherited my Dad's creativity. As a kid I was often on the Petting Zoo with pencil and paper to draw the animals over there.

I have added a pic of the TS zoo that inspired me to my post on the page before. It was f.e. the little streak of water next to the enclosures that I liked (and not ALL water) and also how she used these one-pieces-of-road as little bridges towards the enclosure interior/the animals. My thing is fantasy, and so I didn't need / want fences and such, not much anyway, but liked the idea of being able to go everywhere.
    Zanzia Zoo has really some magic in it so I can understand that it is inspiring for you.

...My father's paintings are with my youngest brother. He lived opposite my parents and really has the space to hang them up. I believe the Tigers are now hanging in the back garden and surrounded by ivy. Not my choice but I simply had no room for it.
    A painting with rival wild horses hangs above his stairwell and my dad once painted a portrait of him so that must have found a place there.
    Make photos of these two and put them on the window sill? (maybe with frame)

I also inherited my Dad's creativity. As a kid I was often on the Petting Zoo with pencil and paper to draw the animals over there.
    and here it shows, too

Thank you _DD_.
    Next update with the cute Red Panda's will course another change in my Zoo.
    And although it seems that we got a lot to do in a short time I will take it step by step.
    To be continued so to say

Hi all. Sorry for the delay in finding this thread. And I am also not in the habit of checking my emails. Thanks for the invite.

I will try to post some of my thought and adventures as a biologist and zookeeper, but I am peck typing on a kindle (which is a major pita) so I will have to be in a patient mood. Lol

Just a short note on apes and monkeys. Islands are popular because apes and monkeys can't swim well. They basically have zero body fat and are therefore non-bouyant. They are exceedingly clever though so low hanging branches, floating things they can ride across the water, etc. will be utilized for escape. That is why big deep moats are now most commonly used (or in really modern zoos big glass enclosed areas).

Monkeys and apes communication through eye contact, facial movements, and vocalizations. Eye contact shows dominance. So staring directly at a primate is taken as aggression. Smiling at a primate shows your teeth. Also a sign of aggression. So visitors that try to engage a primate in a "human" fashion might be communicating messages they don't intend to. Primates, even small ones, can be very dangerous an should be treated with reservation and great respect.

Town: Lyons Station
    Friend code: 4B8TTC
    Co-op name: Freedom of the Seas
    #FREK7G
    I started playing Township in order to build my own zoo (I am a former zookeeper)

Just a tiny bit of my history while I am here. Grew up in Indiana USA. At 16 we moved to North Florida (Gainesville). There was a junior college there with a teaching zoo (1975, there were only 2 such places in the US.) The teaching zoo in California was to train people to be animal handlers for the movies. My zoo in Florida taught people how to be working zookeepers. I was finishing up my two year degrees in biology and anthropology and dropped by the zoo to see if I could take a couple of classes that interested me (animal breeding, nutrition, etc). I was told I had to complete the whole program or nothing at all. So I stayed for another 2 years and completed the program.

I'm so glad I did. I learned so much about the philosophy and ethics and history of zoos. How they have gone from "post stamp" collections of exotics to centers of education and conservation. There are certainly still bad zoos out there but most are dedicated to saving animals and many species of animal have been saved through zoo conservation. I love zoo design. People's experiences as they walk through the zoos impacts their enjoyment. I am also a graphic artist so zoo signage fascinates me. They should be educational but also visually pleasing and easy to read (most people have short attention spans lol).

I decided to do the zoo program to work with the wolves, but quickly would up working mostly with the raptors (birds of prey). So most of my stories will be about them.

#FREK7G
    I started playing Township in order to build my own zoo (I am a former zookeeper)

Dear Cody, thank you for your first post overhere.
    We appreciate every little thing you are able/willing to share with us.

After the outbreak of gorilla Bokito all the glass of the inner enclosure was covered with special foil. Through this foil visitors could look see the apes but the apes had no straight view to the visitors. Nowadays rest has returned to the group and the foil is removed from most of the windows except on one window where the gorillas can be 'invisible' if they want to.

Modern Zoo keeping is a lot different then how a zoo was managed a few decades ago. Are there things you liked more in early days?
    And did you have a favorite group of animals where you did take care of?
    Questions enough but like you explained we take is slow

ETA aha Raptors it will be. Looking forward to those stories.
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 03-22-2019 at 01:34 PM.

hi Cody,

and thanks! VERY interesting, both on the apes and your "history" esp. as I have no idea of real animals and zoos (I'd have expected raptors to be something like crocodiles, but might be a translation thin<g>).

Your zoo looks beautiful, and I don't say "of course" - very lovely made, in many details. Is there anything also you would want to tell us, what you could or could not realise, so to speak?

but hey, your town isn't bad either! *g*

Thanks Rocky and DD. I have a gazillion stories so when I start boring you please tell me to shut up.

I agree that zoo keeping has changed tremendously since the 70s and 80s. There is much more oversight, accreditations to maintain, knowledge about animal husbandry, the ability to quickly share information via the internet, massive global breeding networks based on what we know about DNA and genetics, conservation efforts to return animals to their natural environments. Very exciting stuff. I am old enough to remember animals in cages, which, thankfully, is now almost totally a thing of the past. And I was in Florida when pretty abysmal roadside zoos were common tourist attractions. They are now a rarity. Education is the way to go. The more people learn about animals the more they will fight to protect them.

The zoo I worked in was on campus in 8 acres of North Florida woods. We had only New World animals (so no thick skins -- I adore that group, esp tapirs). The program was started by a hippie herpatologist from New Jersey who came to Florida to hunt snakes. He built the zoo with sweat and blood, hired another biologist to help him teach the courses, then had about 30-35 students in the program at a time to run the place. I started out feeding the pelicans and wetland birds, then wound up in the snake house. After some time there (and a run in with the assistant director) I was sent to run the rat range as "punishment". Once I started cleaning all the cages everyday and putting the females on a breeding schedule that gave them some time off between litters the production went up about 500% (former stressed out females quit eating their babies). So then I was able to move on to the birds of prey. All the students had to work with all of the animals -- monkeys, parrots, small cats, reptiles, rheas, guanacos, etc. -- but once I started working with the birds I started specializing in them.

Thanks again for inviting me to this thread. I love hearing about other zoos. Esp. those in other countries. I always visit zoos when I travel. That is my favorite tourist attraction. ������
    Last edited by Cody Lyons; 03-22-2019 at 08:04 PM.

#FREK7G