Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Inspiration for your Zoo?

Hey, folks!

Have you met Martha yet? She's one of the new zookeepers passionate about each and every animal! 🦒
    She's wondering what inspires you to create your own Zoo in the game, guys.

Is it the Zoo you visited as a child? Or any other real-life Zoos?

Show off your best Zoo design decisions and share the story behind them 🦓👇

And thank you Rocky_Ruud for coming up with such a lovely idea for a discussion 🧡

Last edited by Anna Petrova; 05-05-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks, Anna, for starting this thread!
    Although we started the conversation together about the wish for this thread in October of last year I feel this is the right time to ask our forummers for their experiences in real life and other sources of inspiration.
    Of course I have zoo inspiration stories of my own and I like to share them. But because they are quite versatile, I choose to tell them in parts.

And as we say in Dutch: if there is a sheep across the dam, more will follow
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 03-13-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typos
    Change what you can't accept. Accept what you can't change
    Way2FindMe: #MJZH6C (Mijn boerderij)/Ruud's city of Rock 'nd LOL/level 104/Android

Let's get it on...
    The first part of my Zoo I like to tell about is the Thick Skin island of my Zoo. I have shaped this area together with one of my precious friends on the forum, _DD_.
    The inspiration for creating this island was the purchase of the bathing Elephants.
    This was available as event decoration on the occasion of World Animal Day 2018.
    DD, thanks again for that nice piece of working together. I moved the island more to the left but it still has its original forms
    Thick skins.jpg
    The therm 'Thick skin' has its origins in visiting the zoo in my childhood.
    My parents had an annual visitor's subscription on Blijdorp Zoo. So as a family we spent many Saturdays in this Rotterdam animal park.
    On this forum I mentioned the Riviera Hall as centrally placed building in the old zoo.
    The Zoo is renovated and expanded through the years and since the entrance is move to another side of the Parc the Riviera hall lost the important role it had in early days. From the opening in 1940 one of the wings of this gave house to Elephants, Rhynos and Hypos and this group of animals are called... Thick Skins!
    thick-skin-wing2.png

The huge Hypos were hard to keep in the small area in and outside the building so in the 80's they were replaced for their smaller cousins the Pygmy Hippos.
    With Zoo management policies changing through the years the group of Elephants moved to a new more natural shaped enclosure in the Asian zone of the Parc.
    The function of the Riviera Hall and its wings changed and a big renovation of the Thick Skin wing is finished. During the years Giraffes, Camels and other animals lived there but now the Pygmy hippos and the Rhynos are back to stay over there.

Talking about the Island: opposite of the huge Elephants residence live Rhynos Hypos and Tapirs.
    'Do Tapirs have thick skin too?': I hear you think. No but their noses, well do I need to say more?
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 03-13-2019 at 02:03 PM.

ah, those were the times...
    Thanks for mentioning my input, Ruud, very kind of you. It was a pleasure working with you!
    A guy with so many ideas... :sunny:

And thanks for another interesting story!

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    ah, those were the times...
    Thanks for mentioning my input, Ruud, very kind of you. It was a pleasure working with you!
    A guy with so many ideas... :sunny:

And thanks for another interesting story!
    Thank you DD and that pleasure is reciprocally!
    And about inspiring, your chessboard in the Zoo: good idea!
    Give it a go, lady

it's a sort of map, where the animals are (if we have a statue for them), i.e. a tile for an enclosure - I lost the overview a bit when throwing it all together.

Back to the stories of where my inspiration for Zoo designing came from.
    Forummers that read my posts on a regular basis know that Elephants are favorite in my home.
    That is why I started to talk about the Thick Skin Area.
    For those who are curious about this 'addiction' please read here.

Next area I would like to tell something about is the group of Monkey Islands.
    Monkey Island.jpg
    To bad we don't have a family of Squirrel Monkeys or other Brazilian Primates available.
    Then it is really possible to create a part of a Dutch Zoo that has it origin in my street when I was about 9 years old.
    “A Zoo in your street, really???“

Well, the founder of the 'Apenheul' in Apeldoorn , Mr. Mager, started to keep Woolly monkeys in his converted Garage in Spijkenisse
    And in his garden he had build a large cage for sunny days.
    When we as kids played outside we sometimes watched the Monkeys when they got some food.
    Years later he bought a Forest plot near Apeldoorn and build Islands and other enclosures with as less bars and netting as possible.
    The only real high netting is of course around this Parc for obvious reasons.
    apenheul-700x460.jpg
    As a visitor you can walk free around Squirrel Monkeys
    c970b36ced239841196ddfa9037d55b5c40e8289.jpg
    Lion Tamarins
    Red.ruffed.lemur.jpg wolaap-apenheul.jpg
    Lemurs and Wool Monkeys.
    13BONOBOS1-articleLarge.jpg
    There is a group of Gorilla's, Urang Utans and Bonobo's but they are strictly separated from the public by water and level differences.
    This Zoo Parc is closed during winter but definitely worth a visit if you are in the area

I will put a pic here*. Just home from nightshift so I am gonna get some sleep first

*done
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 03-17-2019 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Added picture

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Ruud View Post
    “A Zoo in your street, really???“
    LOL, you guessed my question!?!

Thanks, Ruud! I've never heard of so many monkey groups (hm, right word?) before!

Pics of your 'monkey arrangement' would be appreciated! (maybe via new post, so we notice?), and JIC: also a link to the monkeys site, if it exists. (wasn't there a film "Monkey Business"?! lol)
    Hope you slept well Thanks for sharing despite being tired!
    Last edited by _DD_; 03-17-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: an addition ;)

Sleepy head forgot the 'r'
    I edited the last post to add some pics

20190317_183649.jpg
    So you want hear (and see!) more about this Zoo parc?
    'apen' means 'apes' or 'monkeys' and 'heul' is an archaic Dutch word for 'refuge' or 'safe place'. People have more fun with animals when the animals are having a good time and can do their own thing. So no cages but large green natural habitats in a wooded area. That is the Apenheul concept.
    20190317_183235.jpg
    In the 1960s Mr. Mager(photographer) bought two Marmosets in a Pet shop just to keep home what was very usual in those years.
    Keeping them was successful because several monkey babies were born(source: www.apenheul.nl)
    wolaapje.jpeg.jpg
    These Woolly Monkeys were more visible for us. Next to the woolly fur the curl in the tail is characteristic of this type of gripping tail monkeys.
    In July 1971 the Apenheul opened as a small but revolutionary animal park.
    20190317_183159.jpg
    Today the parc has about 300 animals including 38 species of Monkeys.
    In France there is a parc named 'La Vallee des Singes' built by Mr. Mager in 1997 with the same concept.
    On 23 March 2008 Wim Mager died at the age of 67.
    Last edited by Rocky_Ruud; 03-17-2019 at 05:44 PM.

aww, Ruud, can't see the pics in post #9, your last one!

Those in your post before are fine - wow, so many different apes! and what colo(u)rs!
    in your zoo: where is the little extra gorilla eating bananas?? (hope you got him!?)

amazing... first you brought us hordes of thick skins, then the sheep, so many sheeps, lol, now these... Thanks!

​wondering where Cody is, our former zoo keeper...guess he'd like this..? (I do NOT mean the zoo changes!)
    Last edited by _DD_; 03-17-2019 at 05:15 PM.