Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: All about “Hopping”

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    I have a question about the inviting - as someone who has only the 50 ingame friends. No Facebook, no other outside prog.

I have read what you wrote, Nevada, about the Host or friends being made Elders inviting ppl - but everyone who invites must be friends with the invited ppl. So - no worries, I wouldn't start with it like that, but for understanding and future ideas - if I were to host a Hoppers coop, what would be a suggested way to start, i.e. to invite hoppers without giving up all or most of my friends (who mostly aren't hoppers)?

Also as invited hopper myself, I'd need hoppers on my friends list to GET invites.
    Any idea?

Also, isn't it easier when I just wait for invites? You said somewhere (I believe), one should take on both roles. But no-one can or will control it, right? (that's also just a question for understanding it, both "rules"/agreements and the reality of doing it)
    It would be harder, with only a limited hopper friends list. It would then be your choice as to how many friends you switched out for hopper friends.

You should definitely host, as many as you are capable of hosting, but most people will remember who invited them, not who hosted them.

Basically DD, in your example: You would be best off hosting a hop, inviting the hopper friends you do have, and promoting those to elder to help invite to fill the co-op. This is why it’s important to name your co-op with your town name, so people can see you’re hosting. Those hopper friends would then invite you to other hops.

You would probably find you get in-game requests from people to be friends. Again, it would be up to you to decide who you keep/delete/switch.

Facebook is definitely preferable, because it allows for many more invites, but, it really isn’t an absolute. That’s why I wanted to post here, to show non-facebookers they still have the option of joining in.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”I can hear you; but I won't.
    Some look for trouble while others don't.
    There's a thousand reasons I should go about my day,
    And ignore your whispers which I wish would go away, oh”

I have a question about the inviting - as someone who has only the 50 ingame friends. No Facebook, no other outside prog.

I have read what you wrote, Nevada, about the Host or friends being made Elders inviting ppl - but everyone who invites must be friends with the invited ppl. So - no worries, I wouldn't start with it like that, but for understanding and future ideas - if I were to host a Hoppers coop, what would be a suggested way to start, i.e. to invite hoppers without giving up all or most of my friends (who mostly aren't hoppers)?

Also as invited hopper myself, I'd need hoppers on my friends list to GET invites.
    Any idea?

Also, isn't it easier when I just wait for invites? You said somewhere (I believe), one should take on both roles. But no-one can or will control it, right? (that's also just a question for understanding it, both "rules"/agreements and the reality of doing it)
    I started hopping a few months ago during the second interseasonal regatta. I wasn't a member of any groups or anything like that, but I had "chatted" a couple of times to one friend via the co-op invite button, and later on Messenger, which I'm guessing you don't have (though you can have Messenger without Facebook), and I knew she hopped.

I started by hosting a hop and invited just this one friend. She invited everyone else and the co-op filled within a couple of minutes! (I should say though that she is a member of a glb co-op, so the has a good network of friends). You really don't need a lot of hopping friends to host - it can work very well just through friends of friends of friends....!

Getting invitations is more difficult if you're not on Facebook or in a group, because, as you say you have to be friends with someone to get an invite. But it's still possible on a smaller scale. I think the best way would be to host a couple of hops and invite anyone on your friends list who is an obvious hopper (many change their name to include hopper or hopping during interseasonal, or add a hopping frame to their profile picture, or a $ sign to their name), and hopefully they will start to invite you back when they host.

Taking on both roles, hopper and host, is a way to establish yourself in a group and secure more invitations, but it isn't necessary. I have one friend who never hosts but ALWAYS takes a task in any hop she's invited to (if you host a lot you will notice that some players never take tasks ) On the other hand, one week I was quite busy and couldn't play very much, so only hopped a couple of times, but made a host co-op every day and still managed to get about 10-12 sets of co-op goals, which are far better than the individual chests.

So I would suggest a way to start could be to temporarily change your name to something like "$_DD_Hopper", create a host co-op and invite any of your friends who you know hop, cross your fingers and see what happens

ETA Lol Nevada has faster fingers than I do!
    Last edited by JJay; 02-23-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Any idea?

You could get along to a limited (but still worthwhile) extent by having just a few hoppers on your friend list, especially if they know in advance that you'd like invitations. Many hops fill up too fast for guest promotions to happen, but it is possible to get somewhat involved that way, especially if you're prepared to put in the 'work' of waiting for and then pouncing quickly on the invites you do get. The more active hoppers you have on your friends list, though, the better - obviously.

As for you hosting, if you invite your few friends in and promote any who arrive, they will happily invite all their friends in on your behalf, so long as you're quick about it. Hoppers hate to wait around while a host procrastinates, as they're usually missing other invitations by being there.

Many groups prefer that newbie hoppers don't host at first, while they learn how it's done, so to have your first experiences be as a guest is normal and accepted. But it would probably be seen as bad manners by your few 'sponsoring' friends if you weren't seen to offer something in return for their invitations after a while. Being seen to host well is a good way both to keep them happy and to keep you on their mind.
    Last edited by Bessville; 02-23-2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Oops, guess I got distracted and was slowest ;)

Many thanks for your answers, Nevada and JJ and Bess! (in order of appearance *g*)

It sounds feasible, and/but a lot of planning, and work. And my 3 or 4 hopping friends would have to be very alert, lol.

I have watched it lately and was very impressed. I think one day I will try it again (when I have more time and energy), to have that amazing experience again. Oh and the rewards, for sure but I might try it first by tying myself to someone's apron strings in order not to get lost.

Last edited by _DD_; 02-23-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Does anyone know if it's possible to hop whilst beta testing?

Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    Does anyone know if it's possible to hop whilst beta testing?
    Depends on the contents of the Beta test, JJay. If visiting and being visited by other towns (necessary for inviting) isn't an issue then I'd think it would be ok. Why not test it out today? If you can get an invitation to another coop, go there, and return home again successfully, then I see no reason it shouldn't be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bessville View Post
    Depends on the contents of the Beta test, JJay. If visiting and being visited by other towns (necessary for inviting) isn't an issue then I'd think it would be ok. Why not test it out today? If you can get an invitation to another coop, go there, and return home again successfully, then I see no reason it shouldn't be fine.
    Thanks Bess. But asking for a friend, not for me. He's not actually beta testing at the moment, but considering doing it in the future, and was wondering if it would affect his hopping.
    Last edited by JJay; 02-25-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    Thanks Bess. But asking for a friend, not for me. He's not actually beta testing at the moment, but considering doing it in the future, and was wondering if it would affect his hopping.
    Ah, I see. Kinda impossible to tell in advance, I'm afraid. I'd hope it would be ok, but wouldn't like to promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bessville View Post

I'm the only one opted into racing in my coop this week. I wonder if our coop goals will be 17 next week? I feel like they ought to be, but I can't quite believe it, lol
    Bess, any chance you could update us on this? It would be a great help, thanks.

Just gonna leave this here cause it's relevent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    Well, it seems that many things are factored in to how many tasks are required for goals, most of which are unknown by anyone but the devs.

One of the factors is how many racing players have been in the co-op over the last several weeks, so, it is not just the last week that is taken into account.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”I can hear you; but I won't.
    Some look for trouble while others don't.
    There's a thousand reasons I should go about my day,
    And ignore your whispers which I wish would go away, oh”