Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange game adverts

Advertising

I recently was playing another game and saw an ad for Township ... showing that you fix a farm by using certain tools, etc. Nothing like the actual game. I have noticed lots of similar ads lately for many games. Is this false advertising? Why would an ad look like this? I clicked through and it led me to the game I already had installed. I did take a screenshot but not sure how to add it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    This weirdo ads have become common recently.

I’ve seen similar for HS and GS, and other similar style games.

They present a busted up scene (in the GS one, there’s a hose with a hole, rats and debris all over the floor, a busted up fountain leaking water, and a lamp post flickering with electricity. You then get a selection of tools along the bottom to fix up the garden).

I don’t really understand these ads. They seem very... baity. Like, I don’t like match 3, but I’d play that advert...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I have also seen these ads for various games, and I thought it was the game itself, until I saw one advertising Township! LOL It is confusing because many games are using the same basic ad (which has nothing to do with their game and doesn't show their game so ... it's a bit weird). There are some complaints in the iOS App Store from people who downloaded Township thinking it was going to be the game they saw in the ad.
    Last edited by missy.; 08-02-2019 at 02:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Am I the only one bothered by this?

Recently saw an ad for Township a couple of times that depicts gameplay that literally does not happen in the game.

What I’m talking about is an ad that shows some catastrophe occurring in a town in Township. Then there are boxes at the bottom of the screen showing tools to mitigate or fix the various catastrophes on screen. It shows a player selecting these tools to fix a malfunctioning electrical item, or plumbing item or to put out a fire, etc. if the player selects the wrong tools they get a big "FAIL" announcement on-screen.

This does not happen in the game - at all. Isn’t that misleading? I actually downloaded Gardenscapes (another Playrix game) because of an ad for it just like I described above. It looked like fun, but none of that was in the game.

Maybe they should create a game that actually, you know, has these things.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoEggs View Post
    Recently saw an ad for Township a couple of times that depicts gameplay that literally does not happen in the game.
    ah that reminds me: Meanwhile I saw a different false ad for TS these days, twice already.
    It shows a lot of (mostly crying) smileys and Ernie and some other characters, heads only and rather old style-grafix - who say "We need your help!"
    Then a finger appears and harvests some crops, and with that, the smileys start to smile and cheer.

Then it finally dawned on me that this ad claims the game has some kind of happiness meter / collector by doing certain things in the game - something a lot of building and battle games have.
    But not Township.

It is still beyond me why they (whether the game companies or the advertising companies) get away with it. OTOH, I wouldn't know to whom to complain either, when the game company itself ignores both the ads and the complaints, as it happens obviously with Playrix games.

And yes, I do not understand either, why not someone creates that other game, with the repair choices, LOL.
    Last edited by _DD_; 04-11-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: grammar...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoEggs View Post
    Maybe they should create a game that actually, you know, has these things.
    😂👏🏻 totally agree!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    just curious: has anyone reported these false ads to the company, Playrix in this case, so there would be an official answer whether they're by/from them?
    MissWilliamston is probably right and there’s no point to complaining but I’m just bored evenought to do it anyway will let you no what they say

I like missy mentioned we can always warn people on the App Store

Quote Originally Posted by Minnisqueak View Post
    MissWilliamston is probably right and there’s no point to complaining but I’m just bored evenought to do it anyway will let you no what they say
    That was a while ago, when I asked this, when the ad appearance was new and there was still the possibility that Playrix would react (and maybe even answer here). Now...
    well... thanks

Nice idea. I have my doubts that it works, but wouldn't want to discourage you

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post

Nice idea. I have my doubts that it works, but wouldn't want to discourage you
    Yeah, not sure that it works, but it does bring down the game's overall rating, and maybe if that happens, Playrix will reconsider this ad approach. I kind of think they may know about these ads, only because the ads use the game's characters, and it seems like whoever created these games would have to get Playrix's permission to use them in that way.
    Last edited by missy.; 08-02-2019 at 02:25 AM. Reason: spelling

May they are changing the game with future updates? Lol
    Game Name: This Is It
    Town Name: Hank
    Town Level: 173
    Castaway Co op
    Platform: Kindle Fire
    I'm Loving Memory of My Dear Friend and a founding Member of The Bonkers and Sucker's Spending Club: Love You, Kim

[QUOTE=TwoEggs;1438463]Recently saw an ad for Township a couple of times that depicts gameplay that literally does not happen in the game.

I actually downloaded another game with this same type of ad only to find the action is nothing like the ad. Since then I’ve seen this ad with all of Playrix’s games among others. It s just a teaser to get you to play. I was disappointed that it didn’t happen in the game I downloaded, so I deleted it.
    Tricia J
    iPad Air 2
    Town: Moo Baa Bay
    Co-op: Sunnyvale
    Level: 88
    Zoo schmoo.

Has anyone else noticed fake ads?

When playing other games, I frequently encounter ads for Playrix titles. The thing is... they don’t actually advertise Playrix titles as we know them.

Township is shown as the player attempting to fix a run-down town by selecting from tools that could assist the problem: hooks to pick up a fallen tree, a hose to put out a burning barn, etc. None of this happens in the game. In reality you’re building a city.

Housescapes shows a run-down mansion with the player being given an option of tools to combat the many problems: don’t use a mallet to treat the fish tank or it will explode, make sure the electric tape is paired with the light fixture, vacuum the floor. Sound unfamiliar? Because that’s not the game. You solve puzzles and the strange butler fixes every problem without your input. Why not just advertise the game?

Fishdom is depicted as a clownfish being chased by a shark, offered a series of defensive tools to select from in an effort to kill your pursuer. In reality, you populate a fish tank.

I’m not trying to attack them for fraud or anything, it just makes no sense to me. I downloaded Housescapes thinking I would be fixing a mansion. In reality, I’m solving puzzles candy crush-style.

Why take the time to make up a game that doesn’t exist and advertise it? What’s wrong with the games they actually have? Am I missing something?? I would like to play the games depicted in the ads, but they don’t exist.

I took screenshots but the server won’t let me upload them - see here:
    https://twitter.com/onmatchpoint/sta...733665792?s=21
    Sail with Township Troopers!
    #WX7E7N / Axes on a blue background