Thread: Town redesign

Town redesign

I'm thinking of doing a complete town redesign. Would like some suggestions as to best way to approach this.
    Clear everything into storage and edit mode?
    Do one section at a time?
    Pre-design on paper?
    Do you have to do it all at once? Or can you do it over several days if everything is in edit mode?

If you leave it in edit mode, and come back to it later, it’s pure pot luck. If the game opens straight back up, you’re okay. If it reloads, everything will return back to how it was.

Personally, I permanent-Store all decorations, then temporary store everything else.
    I then drag all my houses into one corner, fields all in one block, community buildings spread in different groups (so, all “shops” together, all “fairground” stuff together, etc).
    Then I work on one area at a time. If I know I have a particular decoration I MUST HAVE right “here”, I get it out.
    Once I have each section rearranged, then I pull out additional decor.

Probably not the quickest way to do it, but, works for me.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”I can hear you; but I won't.
    Some look for trouble while others don't.
    There's a thousand reasons I should go about my day,
    And ignore your whispers which I wish would go away, oh”

Do you want to plan for a realistic township or create a fanciful one? How much design sensibility do you want? How do you want to handle the waterfall runoff? Do you want to assign zones for commercial, residential, industrial, agricultural, recreational, and cultural centers (called "nodes" in urban design/planning)? Do you want one light source (top left) or will your town be on a planet with two opposing suns and stubborn shadows? Do you want the full benefit of animations? Are you serious enough to realize this is just the beginning of design questions that will generate the constant and variable parameters to approach the township design that you desire?

Answer what you want and the how-tos will become clear. Have fun and good luck!
    Last edited by Míc Miller; 01-02-2019 at 03:24 PM.

It is what Mic Miller mentioned.
    To get a helpful answer please ask yourself why you want to change, what you prefer to be changed and what you do like about (parts of) your current town.
    Step by step worked always for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Míc Miller View Post
    Do you want one light source (top left) or will your town be on a planet with two opposing suns and stubborn shadows?
    I never thought about that! Great... now I want to redesign! (which always starts with good intentions, hrs of placing and pondering - only to refer back to orig layout screen-shots to put it all back!)
    Last edited by happymonkie; 01-02-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Míc Miller View Post
    Do you want to plan for a realistic township or create a fanciful one? How much design sensibility do you want? How do you want to handle the waterfall runoff? Do you want to assign zones for commercial, residential, industrial, agricultural, recreational, and cultural centers (called "nodes" in urban design/planning)? Do you want one light source (top left) or will your town be on a planet with two opposing suns and stubborn shadows? Do you want the full benefit of animations? Are you serious enough to realize this is just the beginning of design questions that will generate the constant and variable parameters to approach the township design that you desire?

Answer what you want and the how-tos will become clear. Have fun and good luck!
    Wow Mic that’s so much more in depth than I’ve ever thought to look at it.

Edit Note: I added you as a friend mic so I could take a gander around your town, and it’s quite nice all together I’m super jealous of all the past decor you have!

Lolz personally I usually take it one section at a time using the temporary storage to place all the desired pieces in storage and clear the land back to all one ground type before proceeding to layout my buildings, decorations, etc. Ultimately it’s up to you with what you feel comfortable with. I will say this though, be prepared because if your anything like me it could take a couple hours! Lolz
    Last edited by Virginia_Gardens; 01-02-2019 at 03:59 PM.

I marvel at these large towns who seem to redesign their towns every couple of months. I have been in the thinking about it stage for longer than that,lol. If I ever do move to the next stage & actually do it, I like Nevada's suggestion & will approach it that way.Makes it seem more manageable. Mics questions are a great check list to have as well, so you have at least a basic idea of the layout you're going for. For me that is as complicated as I would want it to get

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    If you leave it in edit mode, and come back to it later, it’s pure pot luck. If the game opens straight back up, you’re okay. If it reloads, everything will return back to how it was.

Personally, I permanent-Store all decorations, then temporary store everything else.
    I then drag all my houses into one corner, fields all in one block, community buildings spread in different groups (so, all “shops” together, all “fairground” stuff together, etc).
    Then I work on one area at a time. If I know I have a particular decoration I MUST HAVE right “here”, I get it out.
    Once I have each section rearranged, then I pull out additional decor.

Probably not the quickest way to do it, but, works for me.
    Yep, that's how I'd go about it too, in terms of the mechanics of 'how-to'. Function is first and foremost, for me personally, because if that's not right it'll irritate me daily. I need my working parts where I can see and access them with minimum hassle so I organise those, and some 'air gaps' around them, before anything else. The rest gets grouped into 'blocks' of what I want to use together (which can be juggled until I'm happy with each mix) and then each block gets placed in whatever part of the left over space makes sense to me. That's the fun part - I'm sure you've got bundles of inspiration for that already

Thanks everyone for your great insights! I think Nevada's plan makes a lot of sense to me. And I will definitely consider the questions posed my Mic.
    There are some areas of my current design that I like and will probably keep but over all I feel a need to rearrange.

You need SPACE. You can'y put buildings into storage, only decorations.