Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purpose of delayed start

Purpose of delayed start

I've seen co-ops looking for people to join their co-op stating they have a 15 minute delayed start. There requirements are 16/135 no reservations with a 15 minute delay at start of regatta. Please explain the purpose of the delay as I understand the other requirements.

THEORETICALLY:

The idea is, that the “super serious regatta teams”, will all be jumping on tasks and being placed in race groups the second the regatta starts. Therefore, by making sure no one starts a task until the delay time, you get put in group with other teams who don’t care so much about racing, and make it easier to win.

In theory.

This process has had near-as-proven results in the past, but it seems rules or groups or something were changed somewhere over summer and it brought on a huge debate about whether delay starts were still worth doing. It also used to be that it meant you could dump all the tasks on the board until you had all 135s, but that's now changed, too, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My team are trying a four hour delay this week, just to see if it makes a difference. We're token racers stuck in silver, and we all want the gold yacht club dec, so trying to just push back into gold for one week at least. Our races lately have been brutal, so, we're seeing if this helps.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”I can hear you; but I won't.
    Some look for trouble while others don't.
    There's a thousand reasons I should go about my day,
    And ignore your whispers which I wish would go away, oh”

Nevada...Please let us know how that goes!

We have been toying with the idea to see if it would work as well, seeing how we have been pitted against teams whose player levels far exceeded our own. That gave a clear advantage over us & other teams as well: barn space, trains & island times.

Also reading thru here & fb...looks like (if not a glitch) Playrix might be working on regatta stuff behind the scenes. (teams racing up against 15 then all of sudden 7 & even diff teams...CrAzy!)
    "If I am found vague, listless or agitated, Administer Chocolate Immediately." Sandra Boynton

From my personal experience with delayed start. We do random delays anywhere from 3 to 5.5 hours delay. Sometimes it works and we get matched with less competitive teams and sometimes it doesn't. So I think it is luck of the draw mostly. We have the best luck with about 4 hour delays.
    Town: Katucket
    Co-op: Flying Cloud #FYWW7J
    Playing on Kindle since August 2017

If you are a serious racing team it can actually work against you we found, as when we started six hours late we had teams in our race already completing half their tasks.

Not sure about this, but I have seen it suggested that you are entered into your race group once a task is reserved rather than once it has been started. Has anyone noticed this?

I heard that too Ashdust. And I believe it is true as we were reserving tasks and then when we actually started teams would be way ahead of us. We have since stopped reserving ahead of actually taking the first task.
    Town: Katucket
    Co-op: Flying Cloud #FYWW7J
    Playing on Kindle since August 2017

In case of a tie score, the tie-breaker is the shortest amount of time from the start of the first task to the completion of the last task. Two weeks ago our group finished all tasks two days before anyone else and it ended with a five teams tied. We never moved out of first though. By clearing the first board of non 135 tasks it can let more start with tasks that are maxed. The board needs to be cleared on "bad" tasks as often as possible. It is usual lately for not more than four 135 tasks to appear on the board at one time, but we had one incident where there were six.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    In case of a tie score, the tie-breaker is the shortest amount of time from the start of the first task to the completion of the last task.
    I thought this had changed recently? I thought it was now everyone's start time was the start of the regatta.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashdust View Post
    I thought this had changed recently? I thought it was now everyone's start time was the start of the regatta.
    You're right Ashdust everyone's start time is now from when regatta starts.

Anna confirms it in this post

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Petrova View Post
    Hey, everyone,

Thanks a lot for bringing this up. Let me clarify some details on how the racing groups are formed in Seasonal Regattas:

• global start time for Regatta is Tuesday, 8 am UTC and the timer for the final task completion counts from the same time;
    • the system starts looking for a competing group for your Co-op as soon as you have taken your first task;
    • groups are formed in respect to the number of Co-op members with their Participate in Regatta status on at the global start time of the race;
    • if the player has changed the racing status after 8 am UTC on Tuesday it won't be considered and the group placing will not be adjusted.

Kindly note that the in the event of a tied score, the first team to complete the highest score will finish in first place.

I sincerely hope that information helped.

Have a great day, guys

Regards,
    Anna
    There was an entire thread on the subject here.

Thanks Downton, thought I had seen confirmation somewhere, but couldn't think where it was.