Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Donuts

  1. #11
    Thanks for all the explanations, Charlie; very sweet of you!

    Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    We do not generally distinguish the different types, they're all "donuts" ... The best is a "Boston Crème", it's a donut, it's got chocolate frosting, and it's filled with vanilla cream. It's 3 food groups in each bite. A well rounded breakfast
    THAT is a donut, exactly lemon? no way!

    Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    We do get a little crazy with the icing and sprinkles. Often holiday themed. Pink icing with sugar hearts for Valentine's Day, Chocolate with Orange sprinkles for Halloween, White frosting with Red and Blue sprinkles for the 4th of July. We even have "Sports themed" ones with icing and sprinkles colored to match the team's uniform colors.
    ROFL! esp. @ the last one. But OK, better won't discuss sports and its 'surroundings' here

    so, same BTW-question for you: how do they make these different colors? do they all taste just sweet, so it doesn't matter what they are made of, or are they made of fruit (like oranges, f.e.)?

    Safe and fast journeys! I wish you could pass by here ;-D

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    Zuckerguss sure is right (thanks again! ) I just expect it would taste different(ly) than chocolate (which is the one and only icing/frosting for a donut for me), and was asking what it would taste like, which "fruit" is it, or what

    any idea? or is it really just colo(u)red sugar? but if so, how / colo(u)red with what; does it taste like something except sweet? (i think I must ask Charlie the same, lol)
    With artificial flavors and artificial colors for just about anything, I'm assuming you can make up any flavor you want. However, Strawberry is the most popular "pink" flavor for frosting. Of course there's always Blueberry and Maple too. Most are too sweet for me. You are right however, chocolate is the only civilized frosting for donuts.

    ETA: Oh, forgot to mention that they are all probably sugar based and artificially flavored, no real fruit involved.
    Last edited by cdosr; 11-27-2018 at 09:13 PM.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    With artificial flavors and artificial colors for just about anything, I'm assuming you can make up any flavor you want. However, Strawberry is the most popular "pink" flavor for frosting. Of course there's always Blueberry and Maple too. Most are too sweet for me. You are right however, chocolate is the only civilized frosting for donuts.

    ETA: Oh, forgot to mention that they are all probably sugar based and artificially flavored, no real fruit involved.
    looks like you answered already, while I was still typing the reply to you

    Thanks again for the explanations! Of course, I would need to test it ALL by myself ... awww, dreaming! ... but with the lack of these shops here, tz, OK, I'll just believe you. And envy you.

    Everything except chocolate might be too sweet after a while, yes, lol. Thanks for that confirmation also!

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    Zuckerguss sure is right (thanks again! ) I just expect it would taste different(ly) than chocolate (which is the one and only icing/frosting for a donut for me), and was asking what it would taste like, which "fruit" is it, or what

    any idea? or is it really just colo(u)red sugar? but if so, how / colo(u)red with what; does it taste like something except sweet? (i think I must ask Charlie the same, lol)
    Lol _DD_ I'm not an expert in icing (or doughnuts - I eat them occasionally, but my favourite is a custard doughnut - I guess it's similar to your "Berliner", but instead of jam it's filled with custard -Vanillepudding!). But pink icing is usually just white icing with a food colouring (either synthetic, or often beetroot) and doesn't taste of anything but sugar really. I suppose you could use a concentrated fruit essence to flavour it, but I don't think that happens with everyday pink icing. Chocolate icing usually has cocoa powder in it (I think), so it does have a chocolatey flavour.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    Lol _DD_ I'm not an expert in icing (or doughnuts - I eat them occasionally, but my favourite is a custard doughnut - I guess it's similar to your "Berliner", but instead of jam it's filled with custard -Vanillepudding!). But pink icing is usually just white icing with a food colouring (either synthetic, or often beetroot) and doesn't taste of anything but sugar really. I suppose you could use a concentrated fruit essence to flavour it, but I don't think that happens with everyday pink icing. Chocolate icing usually has cocoa powder in it (I think), so it does have a chocolatey flavour.
    ah JJ, sorry, didn't mean to ask you things you don't know, but that custard filling makes you an expert (on a side line maybe), and your explanation is very convincing, too! (and fits with Charlie's, the other expert *g*)

    so, thank you!

    (beetroot, really? and lol @ "everyday pink icing"!)

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    (beetroot, really? and lol @ "everyday pink icing"!)
    Beetroot is actually one of the nicer pink colourings Try googling cochineal (Koschenille)

    My apologies to Steve, the original poster, for hijacking this thread. Maybe we should move doughnut discussions to the lounge??!!

  7. #17

    Donuts

    Here we all are, talking about do(ugh)nuts...

  8. #18
    hm. I had added a reply to the OP as well... ah well.


    OK, JJ, am curious enough to look up cochineal, although I am not sure I will want to know..! :-D

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    hm. I had added a reply to the OP as well... ah well.

    OK, JJ, am curious enough to look up cochineal, although I am not sure I will want to know..! :-D
    Well, luckily there's nothing stopping you going back and saying "huh?" to him again if you feel it's important he not miss it.

  10. #20
    Moderator Nevada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Southeast England, UK
    Posts
    2,149
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

    ”Met a man wearin' a t-shirt, says "Virginia is for lovers"
    Had a Bible in his left hand and a bottle in the other
    He said "all you're really given is the sunshine and your name"
    We both started laughin' when the sky started to rain”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •