Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Donuts

Donuts

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    I happen to like Dunkin Donuts but their mention is not an endorsement of them nor a criticism of their competitors.
    Now that's an interesting disclaimer, Charlie.
    Don't you think you should add something about the differences between Europe and the US or all continents?
    I f.e. don't know Boston Donuts. Who knows what I miss!

It's not a fever, btw, but a necessity.

ETA after posts have been moved: original post (to which the reply below was addressed) was here.

Steve, if you come back here: I don't understand your problem either. The text doesn't fit with the title ("making twice"??) either, explanation-wise, sorry.
    Last edited by _DD_; 11-27-2018 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    Now that's an interesting disclaimer, Charlie.
    Don't you think you should add something about the differences between Europe and the US or all continents?
    I f.e. don't know Boston Donuts. Who knows what I miss!

It's not a fever, btw, but a necessity.

Steve, if you come back here: I don't understand your problem either. The text doesn't fit with the title ("making twice"??) either, explanation-wise, sorry.
    I've never even seen a doughnut shop in the U.K. Never realised I needed one until now.

Tesco - 5 sugar covered jam filled donuts for 65p.

You’re welcome.

Or, if you’re feeling posh, they have a Krispy Kreme stand, too, 3 for £5.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”Met a man wearin' a t-shirt, says "Virginia is for lovers"
    Had a Bible in his left hand and a bottle in the other
    He said "all you're really given is the sunshine and your name"
    We both started laughin' when the sky started to rain”

Lol, your Tesco must be fancier than mine, N - I can just about get an suspiciously pallid ring doughnut from the bakery in ours. If I get there early.

Quote Originally Posted by Bessville View Post
    I've never even seen a doughnut shop in the U.K. Never realised I needed one until now.
    argh! you just made me aware we don't have such shops either! I can get them at several shops, but one with nothing but donuts? just several different preparations? wow.
    I know 3: pure, filled with vanilla cream or frosting (splinters? sorry, not what you learn at school) outside.
    Are there more?

eta: just saw Nevada's post - nope, never seen jam filled with chocolate outside, and w/o it would be called a "Berliner", I guess. Otherwise, more unknown words.
    Last edited by _DD_; 11-27-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bessville View Post
    There used to be a doughnut shop in Leeds called Dunkin Donuts, no idea if it's still there.

_DD_ if you're talking about these:

Screenshot_2018-11-27-16-25-40.jpg

in English they're called sprinkles (or rainbow sprinkles for the multi-coloured ones)

Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    _DD_ if you're talking about these:

Screenshot_2018-11-27-16-25-40.jpg

in English they're called sprinkles (or rainbow sprinkles for the multi-coloured ones)
    ha! Thanks, JJ!
    just that the donut was chocolate-covered, and the sprinkles white, probably something with sugar.
    don't think I have seen such a pink one... what is it??

ha! Thanks, JJ!
    just that the donut was chocolate-covered, and the sprinkles white, probably something with sugar.
    don't think I have seen such a pink one... what is it??
    I think it's just a normal ring doughnut with pink icing (think Americans call it frosting. Zuckerguss??)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    Or, if you’re feeling posh, they have a Krispy Kreme stand, too, 3 for £5.
    Now you've done it, you've reminded me about Krispy Kreme. I live in a part of the US where there's a Dunkin Donuts every couple of miles, there's 3 in my little town alone. But the closest Krispy Kreme is over 80 miles away. Store-bought Krispy Kremes just don't cut it, you have to go to one of their outlets where they fry them behind glass in full view of their drooling patrons. Then they box them for you as the donuts emerge from the "glaze curtain". All hot and gooey, they never make it all the way home. I feel a quest to Connecticut coming.

I know 3: pure, filled with vanilla cream or frosting (splinters? sorry, not what you learn at school) outside.
    Are there more?

eta: just saw Nevada's post - nope, never seen jam filled with chocolate outside, and w/o it would be called a "Berliner", I guess.
    We do not generally distinguish the different types, they're all "donuts" (the older "doughnuts" has fallen out of style). Hole, No Hole, Yeast Batter, Cake Batter, yup, Donuts. Yes, I would call the filled ones "Berliners", filled with Raspberry, Grape, or Blueberry Jelly. Non-traditional fillings include "Cookie Dough" and "Brownie Batter" (yum). Also can be filled with a cream or pudding (lemon is my favorite). The best is a "Boston Crème", it's a donut, it's got chocolate frosting, and it's filled with vanilla cream. It's 3 food groups in each bite. A well rounded breakfast

I don't think I have seen such a pink one
    We do get a little crazy with the icing and sprinkles. Often holiday themed. Pink icing with sugar hearts for Valentine's Day, Chocolate with Orange sprinkles for Halloween, White frosting with Red and Blue sprinkles for the 4th of July. We even have "Sports themed" ones with icing and sprinkles colored to match the team's uniform colors.

Time to gas up the truck and head to the coast....

Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    I think it's just a normal ring doughnut with pink icing (think Americans call it frosting. Zuckerguss??)
    Zuckerguss sure is right (thanks again! ) I just expect it would taste different(ly) than chocolate (which is the one and only icing/frosting for a donut for me), and was asking what it would taste like, which "fruit" is it, or what

any idea? or is it really just colo(u)red sugar? but if so, how / colo(u)red with what; does it taste like something except sweet? (i think I must ask Charlie the same, lol)