Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Create a Winter (Township) Village in your living room

Create a Winter (Township) Village in your living room

With the upcoming update the autumn look of our towns will disappear and lots of snow will be changing them in a Winter wonderland.
    Christmas atmosphere will also be created in many living rooms.

Are there among us, in this enthusiastic group of city builders, people who build a Christmas village at home (or should I call it a winter village)?
    That village could be small or very big; on the windowsill or sideboard, on a decorative plate, a tray, under a bell jar or in an old aquarium?
    Enough opportunities!

The challenge? Share your winter village here and maybe there is some Township recognizable in your creation!

Create a Winter (Township) Village in your living room

During the prehistoric season I mentioned that there was a herd of elephants on my window sill.

Now winter is on it's way its time for a big stampede to make place for my winter village at that spot.
    Just before the herd goes to the winter stable they enjoyed a bath together.
    Ah well, together... Our bathroom is not big enough so they have to share this exciting water ballet

After the group of Thick skins and their company disappeared behind the decorative partitions under the windowsill the room looks a little bit empty.

Time to start with the base of the winter village!

Curious how it will look after it is finished?
    I keep you informed
    Last edited by dreadnought; 11-14-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Looks great! I’ll be on the look out for more photos.
    When I was growing up we would set a Christmas village every year, but the pieces went with my older sister.... Your post reminds me of the magic and seasonal cheer it brought to me every year so who knows maybe I’ll start my own this year... Either way though I don’t start decorating for Christmas until after our Thanksgiving Holiday here in the states so I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks Virginia,
    Nice to know the memories this tread brings you. And you make me curious too, Thanksgiving is on 22 November isn't it?

I also do remember the little houses my parents had to build a little town in their windowsill; ceramic cottages with tealights in it.
    When I met my current wife she also built a village with the same kind of ceramic houses, a few shelves for the height difference and a molton blanket as snow landscape.
    She built it on her sideboard. I liked it but I was also a little bit afraid of a fire hazzard.
    Through the years we visited a lot of Christmas fairs and garden centers and we fell in love with electrical lighted houses and more realistic village stuff.
    The molton blanket was replaced with styrofoam plates. For safety I bought fire-retardant spray to reduce the risc of fire hazard.
    The use of special tools made working with polystyrene foam increasingly easier.
    The wish for a train track in the village made it necessary to create two extra closets behind the sideboard to double the surface.
    Every year we bought more for our village; stuff be able to make a fun fair, a market place, a city park, a farm, snow fun with skaters skiers and a snowball fight.
    And then there was the point even the 'doubled' sideboard became too small. So moving to the windowsill was the next step (and even that spot needed to be doubled in no time)

It may looks like I am an early bird with the start of my village, but it always takes a while before my winter village looks the way I want it.
    The base I use I created four years ago otherwise I had to start in October to get everything ready before half December.
    Next year I like to place a cable car and therefor a whole new design will be necessary. But that is next year...

Oh wow! That sounds astounding you should do set up and design for big places like the mall or the zoo. Here in Houston our Zoo does an event called zoo lights and they have a portion for the children to look at with a Christmas village that has several trains, different levels of landscape, and lots of lighted houses/cottages.

Growing up we had the electric villages that were made from ceramic. We would put them on white table runner clothe and every year would buy this fake snow fluff that we would sprinkle around. Now not to date myself but it’s been almost a decade since I lived at home but I vaguely remember some of the shops and homes we had a Santa’s work shop with small elf like figures a, shoe repair shop, a toy store, a cafe, and several snowy topped cottages. My favorite figures were the sled with all right reindeer and these two figurines of girls ice skating which I used to pretend was my sister and I.

Writing all this really brings it all back I’ll definitly have to go out and get at least one piece this year! ☺️

Oh but yea Thanksgiving is always the 4th Thursday in November so this year it is the 22nd.

I am new to this version of Township, used to plays years ago, but cant seem to get any friends, help and friend me please so I can get some help.

Hi Maryann, if you follow this link you'll find information on what to post, and where, to find friends.

We also have a village of ceramic houses, churches etc. That we set up for the holidays. Because it was added to over the years, everything is not on the same scale so it is very much like Township!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnolia Township View Post
    We also have a village of ceramic houses, churches etc. That we set up for the holidays. Because it was added to over the years, everything is not on the same scale so it is very much like Township!
    *cackle Have you got gigantic random cows everywhere though?

Quote Originally Posted by Bessville View Post
    *cackle Have you got gigantic random cows everywhere though?
    Not yet but now you’ve inspired me!