Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please give us a fair start time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Donaldson View Post
    Unfortunately this is not the case. The last race we delayed our start we were dropped into a race where one team already had nearly 29,000 points!
    But, I believe that your competitors start (take first task) in SAME time as you, only different is time in their zones, but time- moment when you both take a first task is same.

Here's my take:
    * Playrix say it has always been true that the team that reaches the highest score soonest after the global race start wins in a tie.
    * If teams were being matched into groups based on the time they took their first task, then nobody within any group had a noticeable time advantage over anybody else. Which would totally make it seem like the 'clock' started when you took your first task, and explains our misapprehension.
    * If the matching method has suddenly changed, that would explain why we're having this issue now, and not before. So that's the part I'm still hoping for some clarification on.

ETA: I know I've said all this before elsewhere, but it's obviously a pressing enough issue that I feel it bears repeating, for the sake of clarity and for those who missed earlier threads on the subject. Of course, I might be totally wrong. Again.
    Last edited by Bessville; 08-21-2018 at 09:04 PM.

I am in small co-op and really never noticed that one team already done many tasks in start. Top three however are all fast, they finished half regatta till now. We stuck in long tasks mostly and really don't want spend tcash for speeding tasks.

Previously Playrix filled races as teams started (ie when they took their first tasks). Once this became apparent the top teams (ourselves included) delayed our starts so that it was less likely that any of us would have to race against each other. Then Playrix changed things, at least with respect to the top glb teams and they started grouping us together in the same race regardless of start times, so that now it is not uncommon to have 12 to 15 of the top 200 glb teams racing in the same race. They did this, regardless of when the teams took their first tasks, so that one team in the race may have been racing many hours and be half done before the last teams even started! We were in such a race and our competition which started hours before us also finished hours before us, but we were of the mistaken understanding that the team which finished its race in the least amount of time won, rather than the team which finished first, and so we went all out, finishing after the first team but in less time, and thus thinking that we had won! That is when we found out that it was not the team which takes the least amount of time which wins, but the team that finishes first.

So now it has become apparent that any delay start (again with respect to the top glb teams at least) puts us at a great disadvantage as we will be racing against teams that have a head start, thus forcing us to begin when the race begins (3 am for me) in order to compete. The problem with that is half our team (and I would guess that goes for most other teams in the Western Hemisphere as well) does not want to get up (or stay up) until 3am to start the race. A number of solutions have been offered up here and elsewhere which would make this fair again. But so far when it comes to Playrix listening, it seems to have fallen in deaf ears. And as a result it is becoming difficult for us to find 30 people still willing to fill our team. In fact the first race this season we only came up with 18 (first time in over a year we raced with less than 30) and after this week I doubt we will find 30 next week either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Donaldson View Post
    Previously Playrix filled races as teams started (ie when they took their first tasks). Once this became apparent the top teams (ourselves included) delayed our starts so that it was less likely that any of us would have to race against each other. Then Playrix changed things, at least with respect to the top glb teams and they started grouping us together in the same race regardless of start times, so that now it is not uncommon to have 12 to 15 of the top 200 glb teams racing in the same race. They did this, regardless of when the teams took their first tasks, so that one team in the race may have been racing many hours and be half done before the last teams even started! We were in such a race and our competition which started hours before us also finished hours before us, but we were of the mistaken understanding that the team which finished its race in the least amount of time won, rather than the team which finished first, and so we went all out, finishing after the first team but in less time, and thus thinking that we had won! That is when we found out that it was not the team which takes the least amount of time which wins, but the team that finishes first.

So now it has become apparent that any delay start (again with respect to the top glb teams at least) puts us at a great disadvantage as we will be racing against teams that have a head start, thus forcing us to begin when the race begins (3 am for me) in order to compete. The problem with that is half our team (and I would guess that goes for most other teams in the Western Hemisphere as well) does not want to get up (or stay up) until 3am to start the race. A number of solutions have been offered up here and elsewhere which would make this fair again. But so far when it comes to Playrix listening, it seems to have fallen in deaf ears. And as a result it is becoming difficult for us to find 30 people still willing to fill our team. In fact the first race this season we only came up with 18 (first time in over a year we raced with less than 30) and after this week I doubt we will find 30 next week either.
    Very well put, Dan.

Just wanted to add that this affects us non-GLB minded folks as well. Over the past 6-8 weeks specifically, we have been in many races where we started (picked up first task, score=0) and were placed in a half-full race where the Top 3 already had thousands of points. Then, it takes several more hours (sometime a full 24 hours) for the rest of our race to fill out (and I see these teams enter with a score of either 0 or 135, so I know they just started working on tasks and weren't transferred from some other race that had long been in progress). We are not getting put into races with other teams that all start around the same time that we do. It seems very obvious to me that Playrix is "cherry-picking" the teams we are paired with based on very strict criteria so that we only get placed with other 16x135 teams. We've had at least 2 races recently with only 14 teams in it total. This race, we only have 10 teams right now, all very competitive teams doing 16x135 (1st place is currently ranked #295 in Global position).

EDIT: As I was typing an 11th team was added to our race (Score = 0). It has been 8 hours since we picked up our first task (Our team is mostly American, so official regatta start time is 1am-4am depending on time zone ranging from west to east coast. This race, we delayed 6 hours from the official regatta start time - I know people are usually cagey about revealing how long they delay, but I just don't care anymore. With only a 6 hour delay, there should still be a plethora of non-perfect teams to pair us with, but we never see them anymore. We also tried starting right away, and delaying longer than 6 hours, but still get pretty much the same result).

EDIT #2: I continue to check the race board frequently watching for new teams to be added. A 12th team entered our race sometime within the past hour (they currently have a score of 270). It has been 14 hours since we picked up our first task (20 hours since the regatta officially started), so they are at a significant disadvantage. The current score range for 1st thru 11th place is 7,290 to 2,430 points (out of max 15,120, we are 7 racers this week).

EDIT #3: Another hour later, we have a 13th team that just started a task and joined our race (score=135). Per their description, they do 16x135 and they are currently globally ranked #405 with 45 Gold First Place Trophies.

EDIT #4: The regatta has currently been in progress for 3 and a half days. Last night, we still only had 13 teams in our race. This morning, I noticed a 14th team. They had about 6,000 points racked up when I saw them. I do not know if they were moved from a different race, or if they just picked up their first task and started in our race at 0 and are racing quickly (which is possible because they have gained at least an additional 1,000 points already since I first noticed them).
    Last edited by kitty4715; 08-24-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Yeah, the new matching criteria (if our theories on that are right) put a lot of good teams in a no-win situation. You get hit the first time, because every other team you're matched with does perfect or very near perfect scores, so you're forced to do the same just to avoid demotion. But then if you're not in Europe you end up getting hit a second time, when you lose anyway because of 'first past the post'. Come the next race, your draw is even worse, presumably because of your previous high score. It can really only end one way for these teams - in demotion.

I think the situation snowballs....the more co-ops find themselves in these hyper competitive races, the more they push themselves to do 16x135...and on and on and on...
    ~Magnolia~
    🇨🇦Canada🇨🇦

I have only competed with international teams, so I am online at 6pm when the regatta starts. I have seen the darling 75 point tasks on the task board, by the time the American members are online and ready to go, the board is displaying more 130 tasks, so they get a good start throughout the first session.
    It is a rare regatta when I manage to complete 2 135 tasks in the 6 hours before bed.
    I know they say it's not so, but how much do these superfast teams pay to play?

Snow, I know of one team that advises potential new co-op members that they need to be able to spend between 100 to 300 Tcash per week. I don't know if this is a super team or what their standing is, but I imagine they would be in the top 25.
    Sandy aka truck taz
    Level 185
    Co-op: Merry Musketeers
    At max of in-game friends but pending works well ;-)

Ok, this will baffle some and lead to the thought I am a conspiracy nut( which may be true) but here goes.

I often wonder no matter the amount of prep , being organized, and all that, there is some chance the game is set to always rotate winners. Thus regardless of time started or work put in eventually you will be demoted and face losses. This is because to rotate the winnings you will eventually be placed int his pool of all hard working or spenders. This allows teams who do not compete great to be able to win. Basically no matter start time strategy etc you will not always win . There will be periods when you can not escape the high pool of players until the rotation is complete. Doe this make sense ? I think everyone will eventually after winning be placed in a winners circle so to speak and eventually you will make your way out but how long this takes I am not sure. I think someone already pointed out that Russia was where the game originated so there is many players who are high level that are in a Russian time zone, so they will always be over represented in the winning line up. I think while you may have stayed gold for awhile you will eventually drop, and when you do it is frustrating , but I am not sure starting time in correlation with time zone will really change that.

Anna said delayed start may have an advantage I am going to assume this is because delaying your start may affect the server or in my theory the pool of players you get placed in ... Again it is a business and if only the elite win regattas that is less people willing to play or spend, so I assume the winning has to be distributed some way....

Example: another game I played the developers admitted to players being stuck on a level for so many attempts before getting lucky and passing . Thus not winning would be a level you are stuck on ...

ok that is my random thought of the day thanks for listening
    Last edited by Deadend; 08-22-2018 at 12:11 AM.
    Mary
    Co-op Peoples Choice #PE4MV6
    Town deadend
    Level 89