Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Criteria for making Elders? Dumping/reserving issues?

  1. #1

    Criteria for making Elders? Dumping/reserving issues?

    Hi all....I am new here and new to being a leader, as well. Many members of the co-op want to become Elders, and I was curious if anyone has criteria that they use to promote. Does anyone have rules to promote? What if Elders stop participating? Does anyone ever demote players?

    I know some co-ops have all Elders and Co-leaders, very few members. Does this pose a problem with dumping and reserving? Do co-ops make rules for dumping? Is it a problem if everyone can reserve tasks?

    I've searched the forum, but I just can't seem to find any really good advice.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Hi, in the settings, you can choose who can reserve tasks, whereas only elders and above can dump. As long as everyone is aware of your co-op's rules, as to what to keep, and for how long, what to dump, which tasks can and can't be reserved and for how long, then it's up to you to decide how best to manage this.

    In our co-op, we normally have a settling in period of a week before promoting members to elders and we allow all members to reserve as soon as they join. As long as non-racers opt out, they remain in the co-op as is. Anyone remaining opted in but not active is removed from the co-op.

    It's not a problem if everyone can reserve tasks, depending on the size of your co-op. Whether there needs to be a rule of certain tasks, such as the easy, popular ones, being exempt from reserves again depends on the size of your co-op. We have a 2 hour time limit on reserves, whereas others have an issue with the current 12 hour time limit, not being long enough.

    Co-leaders also have the ability to send out messages, which can be beneficial as there is a 12 hour limit on this. Again a lot depends on how large and active a group you are, and how much communication you would like outside of chat.

  3. #3
    Moderator Nevada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Southeast England, UK
    Posts
    2,179
    Hi and welcome

    Who/how you promote is up to you. It's your co-op, your rules.

    In my co-op, I promoted anyone who is active roughly daily to elder. People who just call in and out and don't do regattas are just members.

    After a period of time loosely defined as "long enough", I promote anyone to co-leader who is active/helpful, since elders/co-leader are pretty much the same in all but title.

    You as leader can change who to let reserve, members, elders, whatever.

    We've all been together a few months now. We all have a rough idea of what tasks are popular, and what aren't, and dump accordingly, including anything under 117 or anything that's been on the board "all day" (another one of those well-defined periods of time).

    There's about six of us that play regularly. I imagine rules are very different in bigger co-ops.

    It's basically about finding out what works for you, then finding a group of people whose idea of "working" alines with yours.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

    ”I can hear you; but I won't.
    Some look for trouble while others don't.
    There's a thousand reasons I should go about my day,
    And ignore your whispers which I wish would go away, oh”

  4. #4
    I agree with the others, it is about finding what works for you and your co-op.

    I've been in a variety of co-ops, one had a leader, 2 co-leaders who were his best friend's and everyone else was just members, we never really felt like part of the team so a lot of the members didn't try too hard. I've also been in a co-op where everyone is at least elders, mainly for dumping tasks, this takes a bit of looking after, making sure everyone is working to the same guidelines etc.

    I would say though as a leader, don't be afraid to demote people or kick people out who don't follow the rules or who cause problems or drama. You see a lot of people on here unhappy because their co-op leader does nothing about inactive players or troublemakers.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Hi, in the settings, you can choose who can reserve tasks, whereas only elders and above can dump. As long as everyone is aware of your co-op's rules, as to what to keep, and for how long, what to dump, which tasks can and can't be reserved and for how long, then it's up to you to decide how best to manage this.

    In our co-op, we normally have a settling in period of a week before promoting members to elders and we allow all members to reserve as soon as they join. As long as non-racers opt out, they remain in the co-op as is. Anyone remaining opted in but not active is removed from the co-op.

    It's not a problem if everyone can reserve tasks, depending on the size of your co-op. Whether there needs to be a rule of certain tasks, such as the easy, popular ones, being exempt from reserves again depends on the size of your co-op. We have a 2 hour time limit on reserves, whereas others have an issue with the current 12 hour time limit, not being long enough.

    Co-leaders also have the ability to send out messages, which can be beneficial as there is a 12 hour limit on this. Again a lot depends on how large and active a group you are, and how much communication you would like outside of chat.
    Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate the feedback as I want to make rules that are fair. I know I can do what I want, but I also want to make sure people are enjoying the game. With that being said, we have 28 people in our co-op. Our only rule right now is you must do at least 5 tasks per regatta or opt out. Those who do not do either one of those for 2 weeks get kicked. I think that's a pretty fair rule.

    I'm just wondering if having 28 members all being able to reserve would cause problems.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    Hi and welcome

    Who/how you promote is up to you. It's your co-op, your rules.

    In my co-op, I promoted anyone who is active roughly daily to elder. People who just call in and out and don't do regattas are just members.

    After a period of time loosely defined as "long enough", I promote anyone to co-leader who is active/helpful, since elders/co-leader are pretty much the same in all but title.

    You as leader can change who to let reserve, members, elders, whatever.

    We've all been together a few months now. We all have a rough idea of what tasks are popular, and what aren't, and dump accordingly, including anything under 117 or anything that's been on the board "all day" (another one of those well-defined periods of time).

    There's about six of us that play regularly. I imagine rules are very different in bigger co-ops.

    It's basically about finding out what works for you, then finding a group of people whose idea of "working" alines with yours.
    Thank you so much. I like the idea of having guidelines for dumping. We had one Elder who just kept dumping the entire board until they got a task they wanted. They were obviously looking for certain tasks. But they were dumping tasks that others would have done. I corrected them, so that has stopped. I like consistency, so dumping tasks under a certain number appeals to me.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4
    I have a big concern about the unlimited dumping.
    In my race now I've just noticed after being on here about an hour a co-op jump from no where to 1st with 1755 points that is 13 tasks (we are allowed 11 + one) so he completed all plus 2 in 30 hours. Before he came along out of no where...places one and two had completed 11 in 29 hours.
    I was tied for 5th now I'm 8th and I've completed 6 135 pointers.
    How is this fair and doesn't anyone else notice this?

  8. #8
    Junior Member Alienmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Nebraska, USA
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTeacher View Post
    Thank you so much. I like the idea of having guidelines for dumping. We had one Elder who just kept dumping the entire board until they got a task they wanted. They were obviously looking for certain tasks. But they were dumping tasks that others would have done. I corrected them, so that has stopped. I like consistency, so dumping tasks under a certain number appeals to me.
    If I had a Elder that kept dumping like that, he/she would've been demoted back to member. I run a Windows platform Township. I am the leader of Happy World 3.0 and we have a some rules also. It sits in a blog, I get tired of telling new members all the time, over and over about our rules. So, I created the blog for that purpose. We have a 3 strikes and your out system for (helps, tasks and such) all explained in our coop blog's page.
    Last edited by Alienmenace; 07-26-2018 at 03:38 AM.

  9. #9
    Hi
    I’m trying to find out as the leader of a co op how do I stop people from reserving tasks or change the amount of time tasks can be reserved?
    Thank u

  10. #10
    Member Katville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Gillette, Wyoming
    Posts
    442
    Hi Kathryn, you need to set rules for your group as to how you want reserves to work. You can have no reserving if you want or have only certain tasks reserved. In my co-op we only reserve island, crop growing, and factory tasks. These tasks require prep work and so we allow reserves. As for the time you are allowed 12 hours, you can ask your people to reserve for less time if you want but that seems like it would be hard to keep track of and enforce. We usually only have 2-3 tasks reserved at any time on the board with 10 racers so we don't find reserving to be an issue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •