Thread: 17.08 The Making of: Events

17.08 The Making of: Events

The Flower Festival just came to a close, and it was a blast! All those pretty decorations, charming fish, and blossoming flowers! Ever wondered what it takes to create all that beauty? We asked our development team some of the questions you sent in about events, and here are the answers we got!

How many people work on event concepts? How does the team come up with ideas?

Usually a team of few game designers and a producer work on a concept. They discuss the central idea and try to take into account our players’ preferences to create something they’ll be able to relate to.

Our main source of inspiration is holidays, of course. We choose ones we think will appeal to the majority of our players and brainstorm from there. Sometimes it’s really obvious what holidays to pick, like in the case of Halloween or Christmas. Other times we make a holiday up — just like we did with the Flower Festival (and with something else that is coming your way soon)!

What things need to be created for events?

There are three core elements that make up an event: interfaces, decorations, and fish. Each of these elements goes through several stages of development before getting added to the game.

How do you design the decoration sets for events?

The process is similar to the creation of decoration sets for aquariums. A single game designer creates a story that can be explored through several objects and characters. While creating the Flower Festival, for example, we were inspired by the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. We took the basic idea of a princess and her gardens and gave it a Fishdom twist: the Beefish garden, underwater flowers and plants, and other marine decorations.

How are the fish for themed events created? Who works on their characters? Have any of them got real-world prototypes?

When we create an event fish, we always think of it as the main character. Take the Flower Festival — our blooming garden certainly needed a radiant princess. And who loves flowers more than bees and butterflies! So, the choice was really simple

The fish’s character and behaviour is usually created by our game designers. Our finned friend doesn’t necessarily need a real-world counterpart, some of its features might be entirely made up.

What does it take to draw a fish and then animate it? How do you work on different fish emotions and moods?

Creating a fish is a complex task. First, our concept artists make a sketch of the new fish. It can either be the stylization of an existing real-world fish or something unique. This stage usually takes a few days.

When the sketch is ready, a 3D artist uses it to create a 3D model and textures for the new fish. The artist then builds a skeleton associated with the model.

In the last stage, different animations are created. This stage defines the way the fish will swim, eat, show emotions, and so on. The face of a fish usually resembles that of a human, so the animator refers to human emotions, like joy or amusement.

How is event currency created? Who develops it?

The key element here is the imagination of our game designers. They analyze the main concept of the event and come up with ideas for the currency. It’s usually a long list! It gets passed onto the artists, who pick the most appealing ideas and develop them further. After that, we choose a final concept and wait for the green light from the producer.

How is music for an event written?

The first step is playing the game. The sound designer studies the event and creates a concept for the piece they’re going to create. They then prepare a draft version of the new track, which is usually about 30 seconds long.

If the draft is approved, a full-length version of the track is created. Our programmers then put it into the game, and with that, the track finally makes it into the event.

How exactly do you add an event into the game? What are the steps in that process? How much time does it take to review and test an event?

First, our programmers create a kind of base structure for the event. Everything that forms the event – the interface, event currency, special effects, sounds, decorations, and fish – is then added to this structure. Our art department then gradually produces the graphics for the event to create an almost finished product.

Then we pass the complete event on to our game designers, producers, and testers. Together they review the event over the next two weeks. Small improvements and bug fixes are made during this stage.

After that, we have a complete and colorful event!

The process is captivating, isn’t it? Would you like to hear more behind-the-scenes stories? Let us know what secrets we should reveal next!
    Last edited by Lyuba Mashkarina; 08-17-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Need to come up with flag day and 4th of July event

😢Diamond and event uses

Guys, I really cannot appreciate events anymore. I bought a few of the new fish and was almost there to get the gasha fish. I think you use to give warning that I was about to loose all 400? of flowers 🌸 I collected. Anyway, i would have chose something else. Couldn't you leave the bank of flowers for a day so that I could use them? And I really don’t understand why my diamonds end up “accidently” being used on a loosing board. It makes me walk away more time than not. Frustrating and more than leery to purchase any diamonds. I perfer using them for the support equipment, not to add 30 seconds or 5 moves to a loosing board! Seriously. You can check and see that has happened a lot over the years. I understand if its working for you, but I rally don’t see how that’s adding quality to this wonderful game. Sincerely,

None responses

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Hudson Straw View Post
    Guys, I really cannot appreciate events anymore. I bought a few of the new fish and was almost there to get the gasha fish. I think you use to give warning that I was about to loose all 400? of flowers 🌸 I collected. Anyway, i would have chose something else. Couldn't you leave the bank of flowers for a day so that I could use them? And I really don’t understand why my diamonds end up “accidently” being used on a loosing board. It makes me walk away more time than not. Frustrating and more than leery to purchase any diamonds. I perfer using them for the support equipment, not to add 30 seconds or 5 moves to a loosing board! Seriously. You can check and see that has happened a lot over the years. I understand if its working for you, but I rally don’t see how that’s adding quality to this wonderful game. Sincerely,
    I also believe if you regularly responded to problems sent that your clients would multiply. I fully agree with Ann. When I have, either purchased or won, explosives you dump all in one spot not even remotely giving us a chance to use them in a positive manner, and when we have nothing left, you only allow extra help in the game to arrive on bv the 2 or last turn. Very discouraging. You need to reevaluate. Sincerely jc

Love Fishdom its awesome 😎 to play and have fun

I'm all for July 4th and October 12th 1492 event, labor day too if there is any time!

Quote Originally Posted by cjc92955@gmail.com View Post
    I also believe if you regularly responded to problems sent that your clients would multiply. I fully agree with Ann. When I have, either purchased or won, explosives you dump all in one spot not even remotely giving us a chance to use them in a positive manner, and when we have nothing left, you only allow extra help in the game to arrive on bv the 2 or last turn. Very discouraging. You need to reevaluate. Sincerely jc
    I find it more challenging that way if I have two bombs together I figure how to make only one drop to bottom then I set the one on top off first then the bottom one it works really good that way or I don't see them off right away. I love that about it because it makes it more challenging. I found your opinion to be thoughtful as well thank you. My opinion was just a people advice to help you out a little maybe. :-) take it with a grain of salt ;-)

How in the world can I get these cute fish if I cant get silver tickets but every blue moon, x2 thumb's down on that creation. Love ur game Fishdom but a couple things. I think you should be able to use your cheats i.e.hammer at the end if you have them instead of zero moves and over. Also you should get to place your cheats where you want them instead of auto placing by game. Overall, great game!! House scapes harder and you win very little coins when you win!! Getting ready to through in towel there! Already did on Garden scapes!!

I’m with you Heather many has complained about boosters going in one spot or somewhere useless.I also think that they should be another way for ppl on higher levels to earn the vouchers and right now acorns,I’m on level 1495 a super hard level with 30 second bombs (so they say) but I’ve been on it for days/nights on end way to many to count one thing you can’t move ASAP on the ones with bombs you have to wait on everything to get still, I could’ve beat it many times many days ago if I could move ASAP but anyway we can (mod edit - bad language) they don’t care.Oh and they say the games not fixed (mod- again) also