Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Small Town look" Community Building Suggestions and Nautical Building Suggestions

"Small Town look" Community Building Suggestions and Nautical Building Suggestions

Being originally from a small town, I would love to see more options for smaller, quaint community buildings that would fit in with a small-town vibe.

I would also love to see more nautical themed buildings.

So please, feel free to add your own suggestions and I will post a few of mine as well.

For a small-town vibe:

* Soda Fountain/Pharmacy (from the Soda Fountain days; that is what it used to be called. A pharmacy was a place with a counter and you could get a cream soda or an ice cream float or a cherry or vanilla coke mixed for you. Anyone remember that? ) Google "pharmacy with soda fountain" or "drug store with soda fountain" for more info and images.

* Barber shop -- The kind you see on the Andy Griffith Show. With the red and white flag pole out front.

* Corner store/ Bodega -- That place you run to when you have run out of something. A small shop with many treasures and staples.

* Green grocer -- A small store that is filled to the brim with fresh fruits and vegetables.

* Bakery -- Not a factory (we have that), but a community building that is a bakery.

* Fish market or Seafood market -- Not quite a small town staple but a neighborhood staple in boroughs like Queens back in the day.

* Butcher -- A place that sells nothing but cuts of meat, freshly cut to your liking.

* Ice Cream Parlor -- Not a factory but a CB.

* Antique store

* Book store -- It would be awesome to have a book store.

* Coffee shop - It would be awesome to

* Hardware store -- Not a big box store; you know the ones -- but an independently owned small town hardware store.

* Department store -- A small town department store.

* Five and Dime store -- Those were the days!

* Pub -- Local pub/brewery

* Diner -- Nothing beats breakfast or a burger in your local diner. Shaped like a 1950s diner -- almost like a trailer with an art deco vibe. Google "diner shaped like a trailer" for image ideas.

For a nautical vibe:

* Bait and Tackle Shop. I would love this! I mentioned this in an earlier post today as an example of a nautical-themed building.

* Beach Gift Shop -- Every beach has at least one of these!

* Surfboard Shop -- Surfboards for sale! Surf's up!

* Souvenir Shop -- Same idea as the Beach Gift Shop.

* Seafood Restaurant -- Nothing quite like a restaurant that serves fresh seafood right on the beach!

* Beach motel -- We have a large five-star CB hotel, but what about the smaller, more quaint beach motel? The kind from days of yore complete with a swimming pool. Google "beach motel vintage" for some image ideas.

* Key West styled housing -- for another thread.

* Marina -- almost forgot this one!

* Yacht Club -- You know you have arrived if you belong to your local yacht club!

* More lighthouses -- We have one lighthouse, but for those of us who love lighthouses or the nautical, we could introduce additional lighthouses.

These are a few of my ideas; please feel free to add your own.
    Last edited by missy.; 08-02-2019 at 01:31 AM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by missy. View Post
    Being originally from a small town, I would love to see more options for smaller, quaint community buildings that would fit in with a small-town vibe.

I would also love to see more nautical themed buildings.

So please, feel free to add your own suggestions and I will post a few of mine as well.

For a small-town vibe:

* Soda Fountain/Pharmacy (from the Soda Fountain days; that is what it used to be called. A pharmacy was a place with a counter and you could get a cream soda or an ice cream float or a cherry or vanilla coke mixed for you. Anyone remember that? ) Google "pharmacy with soda fountain" or "drug store with soda fountain" for more info and images.

* Barber shop -- The kind you see on the Andy Griffith Show. With the red and white flag pole out front.

* Corner store/ Bodega -- That place you run to when you have run out of something. A small shop with many treasures and staples.

* Green grocer -- A small store that is filled to the brim with fresh fruits and vegetables.

* Bakery -- Not a factory (we have that), but a community building that is a bakery.

* Fish market or Seafood market -- Not quite a small town staple but a neighborhood staple in boroughs like Queens back in the day.

* Butcher -- A place that sells nothing but cuts of meat, freshly cut to your liking.

* Ice Cream Parlor -- Not a factory but a CB.

* Antique store

* Book store -- It would be awesome to have a book store.

* Coffee shop - It would be awesome to

* Hardware store -- Not a big box store; you know the ones -- but an independently owned small town hardware store.

* Department store -- A small town department store.

* Five and Dime store -- Those were the days!

* Pub -- Local pub/brewery

* Diner -- Nothing beats breakfast or a burger in your local diner. Shaped like a 1950s diner -- almost like a trailer with an art deco vibe. Google "diner shaped like a trailer" for image ideas.

For a nautical vibe:

* Bait and Tackle Shop. I would love this! I mentioned this in an earlier post today as an example of a nautical-themed building.

* Seafood Restaurant -- Nothing quite like a restaurant that serves fresh seafood right on the beach!

* Beach motel -- We have a large five-star CB hotel, but what about the smaller, more quaint beach motel? The kind from days of yore complete with a swimming pool. Google "beach motel vintage" for some image ideas.

* Marina -- almost forgot this one!

* Yacht Club -- You know you have arrived if you belong to your local yacht club!

* More lighthouses -- We have one lighthouse, but for those of us who love lighthouses or the nautical, we could introduce additional lighthouses.

These are a few of my ideas; please feel free to add your own.
    Good ideas !
    Last edited by ujjwal; 08-10-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ujjwal View Post
    Good idea !
    LOL, actually there are a LOT.

too many for me, but, missy., a question anyway: why the wish for something getting doubled "as CB", additionally to having it as factory already - what would be the advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by missy. View Post

* Fish market or Seafood market -- Not quite a small town staple but a neighborhood staple in boroughs like Queens back in the da

* More lighthouses -- We have one lighthouse, but for those of us who love lighthouses or the nautical, we could introduce additional lighthouses
    All are good ideas but would love these ones!!

These are all nice ideas, but i need a clarification - would you like to have these community buildings in addition to the ones we already have, or change the look (or have the option to choose between) of some of the existing ones? Like changing the Cafe we have to a new Coffee shop?
    IMPORTANT: As a Township, Gardenscapes and Homescapes moderator, I only have power to maintain the forums.
    Township Support | Gardenscapes Support | Homescapes Support
    FORUM RULES

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    Added "s" to idea's'
    Thanks

I love many of the described building-ideas. They could really look lovely in our towns. But I would prefer to have them as decorations (like the Mill, the Eastern Bazaar or the Nobly House). As CBs we would have to build them, no matter if we want or not. According to the lack of space we all have to struggle with, that would be a real challenge. If they were implemented as decorations, everyone could pick the ones they like. That variant would be something I would really love, because I think there could be awesome designs created based on that buildings. And it would bring much more variety to towns if
    everyone could choose wheather to have them or not.

ETA: Is there a certain reason why you would like to have them as CBs missy? Would be interesting to know
    Last edited by SumSum; 08-10-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ujjwal View Post
    Good ideas !
    Quote Originally Posted by Assley Jain View Post
    All are good ideas but would love these ones!!
    Thank you both.

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post

too many for me, but, missy., a question anyway: why the wish for something getting doubled "as CB", additionally to having it as factory already - what would be the advantage?
    Hi, _DD_! Yes, there are a LOT, haha! With so many to choose from, maybe some of them might catch the developer's eye. The advantage in my view would be smaller, more quaint and charming community buildings. For me personally, there is nothing charming about the Bakery "factory." It looks like a factory and not like a small-town bakery that I would pop into with a friend to for a tasty homemade concoction, before continuing our stroll onto other shops. I want to make my town a place I would want to visit in real life, with small shops and mom and pop businesses lining the streets to pop into and say hello.

I would just love to see some smaller CBs offered, instead of some of the more glitzy, larger (and not always to my taste) options currently offered.

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
    These are all nice ideas, but i need a clarification - would you like to have these community buildings in addition to the ones we already have, or change the look (or have the option to choose between) of some of the existing ones? Like changing the Cafe we have to a new Coffee shop?
    Hi dreadnought My wish would be for these to either be (A) alternatives to CBs currently offered (so perhaps we could have a choice of CBs at every level; one person picks the large city building and another person chooses the small-town vibe building) or (B) as new CBs are added at higher levels, perhaps these CBs could be considered. I would prefer option (A) over option (B), but anything would be nice to give our towns more customization options and allow for smaller and more quaint and charming CBs.

Quote Originally Posted by SumSum View Post
    I love many of the described building-ideas. They could really look lovely in our towns. But I would prefer to have them as decorations (like the Mill, the Eastern Bazaar or the Nobly House). As CBs we would have to build them, no matter if we want or not. According to the lack of space we all have to struggle with, that would be a real challenge. If they were implemented as decorations, everyone could pick the ones they like. That variant would be something I would really love, because I think there could be awesome designs created based on that buildings. And it would bring much more variety to towns if
    everyone could choose wheather to have them or not.

ETA: Is there a certain reason why you would like to have them as CBs missy? Would be interesting to know
    Hi SumSum! The reason I would love to have them as CBs would be as (A) either alternatives to some of the ones we currently have --perhaps we could have the luxury of choosing between CBs for each level, and even tearing down one CB at a level and building another in its place if we chose-- or if not, then (B) as the devs add more levels to the game, perhaps they will give us some smaller, more charming and small-town feel CBs instead of "big city" options -- the "big city" vibe is what I view as less appealing options, many of which don't make a lot of sense for me when planning my town.

I hope for them as CBs rather than decorations so that they will serve the CB purpose of increasing our population and fields while maintaining a small-town vibe for those of us who would choose that look. It could give us a way to customize our towns or cities.

It would make the game more interesting and our cities more diverse. I personally don't care for many of the current CB options and having other choices would be nice.

My ideal city/town would be a walkable place with loads of charm. I love the idea of customization.