Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Meaning Of Your Name

"Buckeyes" are a tree grown in Ohio, USA ; the nuts are a dark, shiny brown. My dad called me that when I was tiny 'cause my eyes are so dark. My real name is Victoria, which simply means "victory" or "victorious"--and I was named after the English queen of that name!

I named my town Mayfield after the town where the Cleavers lived in Leave It To Beaver TV show from the late 1950s/ early 1960s.

I thought about Springfield (Father Knows Best) but there are several real towns with that name.

I have since friended a Mayberry in this game.

I'm still looking for a Warfield (Ozzie and Harriet).
    Last edited by Mayfield; 10-25-2019 at 11:39 PM.
    Played on and off since October 2017
    Play on iOS iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyes View Post
    "Buckeyes" are a tree grown in Ohio, USA ; the nuts are a dark, shiny brown. My dad called me that when I was tiny 'cause my eyes are so dark. ...
    hi Victoria, and welcome to the forum + thanks for the explanation! I had just seen your other post from today, and had been wondering what it could mean

Quote Originally Posted by Mayfield View Post
    I named my town Mayfield after the town where the Cleavers lived in Leave It To Beaver TV show from the late 1950s/ early 1960s.
    I thought about Springfield (Father Knows Best) but there are several real towns with that name.
    I have since friended a Mayberry in this game.
    I'm still looking for a Warfield (Ozzie and Harriet).
    LOL, Mayfield - a definite thanks for your explanation also! I don't know ANY of this, but at least got the general background now

"Harman" means: solider, army, beloved

Quote Originally Posted by Harmman420 View Post
    "Harman" means: solider, army, beloved
    Thanks, but in which language, pls, or coming from which language?
    and do you mean to use it with one or two M?

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    Thanks, but in which language, pls, or coming from which language?
    and do you mean to use it with one or two M?
    It's in hindu language, I mean to use double M, just felt like that ✅

Thanks interesting, that's quite a bandwidth in meaning.

Thanks interesting, that's quite a bandwidth in meaning.
    For _DD_, because I know you like this kind of thing , I found a website which explains the meaning of the Hindu name Harman, which is exactly as Harmman420 said (https://hamariweb.com/names/hindu/hi...-meaning_26889), but on the English language Wikipedia site it seems there is a European equivalent originating from Germany! (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harman_(surname)) And interestingly it also has connections to the army. Fascinating how two languages so far apart come to have the same name with such connections

Quote Originally Posted by JJay View Post
    For _DD_, because I know you like this kind of thing , I found a website which explains the meaning of the Hindu name Harman, which is exactly as Harmman420 said (https://hamariweb.com/names/hindu/hi...-meaning_26889), but on the English language Wikipedia site it seems there is a European equivalent originating from Germany! (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harman_(surname)) And interestingly it also has connections to the army. Fascinating how two languages so far apart come to have the same name with such connections
    wow, that's fascinating indeed, many thanks JJ! ������
    I didn't think of googling it, cos it was so foreign to me, esp. with 2 m - never thought of Her(r)mann, which is explained here* (Google translate to English):

The name is made up of the Old High German words "heri" for "army" and "man" for "man". So Hermann means something like "soldier", "warrior" or "fighter".
    and which I find a little more convincing than the English Wikipedia explanation re "Arminius", but that's just personal opinion; probably they are ALL related, lol. And there are lists of the name in tons of languages "everywhere" - almost as if it didn't have one origin.

* that's a German TV-page, usually; no idea why they have a Names Encyclopedia!

wow, that's fascinating indeed, many thanks JJ! ������
    I didn't think of googling it, cos it was so foreign to me, esp. with 2 m - never thought of Her(r)mann, which is explained here* (Google translate to English):

and which I find a little more convincing than the English Wikipedia explanation re "Arminius", but that's just personal opinion; probably they are ALL related, lol. And there are lists of the name in tons of languages "everywhere" - almost as if it didn't have one origin.
    It's amazing how words seem to have spread through the world in the days long before planes and trains were even invented isn't it? Anyway, I'm going to stop now and not change the subject of this thread lol