Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WTFIT??? The acronym thread.

Thank you very much, kitty!

lol, I think I have "seen" Bob and Sally before!
    and the 'not understanding' comes from the "right", right. *g* Always difficult with spoken language. And I don't really find an equivalent in German (when thinking how "we would say"), that doesn't help either.
    I will just live w/o using it, lol.
    And many thanks again, kitty, much clearer now!

Quote Originally Posted by kitty4715 View Post
    You are correct with your interpretation, DD. With proper punctuation, ikr stands for "I know, right?" - Basically, it's composed of a double affirmation "I know"..(pause)..."Right?"

Bob: Isn't it crazy what just happened!?
    Sally: I know, right?

It is used when you are in agreement with a previous statement. The "right?" tacked on at the end can imply different things depending on the context. Sometimes it's sarcastic, sometimes it's shock, sometimes it's bewilderment. The nuance comes across much better when the actual sentence is spoken aloud, but the gist of it is "We all agree on this, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    lol, I think I have "seen" Bob and Sally before!
    I know, right?!

Couldn't resist that lol. Yes, I can definitely see why it is confusing. The "I know" and "right" both kind of mean the same thing, but there is usually a subtle difference between them. For example: In my usage in this post, the "I know" basically expresses the idea "Yes, Bob and Sally have shown up on this forum before!" and the "right?" basically expresses the thought "Don't you agree how fun and silly that is? You have a keen memory!" It's kind of like adding a playful wink.
    Last edited by kitty4715; 08-04-2018 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitty4715 View Post
    and the "right?" basically expresses the thought "Don't you agree how fun and silly that is? You have a keen memory!" It's kind of like adding a playful wink.
    ROFL! yes, and that is exactly the reason, why a non-native can't understand it (easily); it's just heavy guessing. The question mark with the right is simply confusing, but you explained well about all the questions that can be in it. And if I am lucky, as the interpreting one, it is not meant sarcastically.
    (looks like it is a hint: use it in a discussion, if you don't want answers anymore )

"I know right?/IKR/ikr/Ikr" implies to me that you arent sure you actually know what you are talking about
    Johnalex Zarco
    Coop: United Federation
    Coop Position: Leader/Coleader
    Coop Tag: #UN28CX
    Town Name(s): Daimler-Kingston Industries.
    Playing Township Mobile since May 2016
    "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, But the Lord weighs the hearts." ~Proverbs 21:2 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by Johnalex Zarco View Post
    "I know right?/IKR/ikr/Ikr" implies to me that you arent sure you actually know what you are talking about
    ...<thinking>...That impression is possible for me, too.

AFAIC As far as I'm concerned
    AFK Away from keyboard
    BRB Be right back
    BTDT Been there, done that
    LMGTFY Let me Google that for you

I just find myself happy with the simple things. Appreciating the blessings God gave me.

FWIW, y'all suck. Look at all these thingies I gotta add on to the list... <bg>

Obviously joking, that's the whole point of this thread

I'll get on this later, and also I haven't forgotten the frequent wish list. Mr N and I are gonna get on that later and check I've got all the information understood correctly.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”So fly away on a bright new morning,
    Spread your wings and soar to the skies,
    Let softest winds take you on your journey,
    And we will know that you are home.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    FWIW, y'all suck. Look at all these thingies I gotta add on to the list... <bg>
    I'd still say, brutally, you could still just add/post some links to abbreviation collections.

ooh, so Mr N will help?! lol, you're spreading the work? well, what a nice guy (thanks to Mr N then, too!) I think that is a first cautious sign that he MIGHT deserve you.

ASAHP= As Soon As Humanly Possible
    Town Name: Falcon......
    Level: 79
    Zoo: Hate It
    Playing on Android/iOS
    Friend Code: WMUVMM
    Always Full but will be "Happy to Help"!
    Co-op: Cat Show Boating
    #CH6E5M

To me, "I know, right?" is just an informal confirmation of agreement, usually with an opinion. Shorthand for "I was just thinking the same thing".

This one isn't an acronym, but its another that only makes sense when you read it aloud and will stymie translation apps - 'amirite' for 'am I right?', which again is just a device for seeking agreement. It's another example of language as social grease, rather than information exchange.