Thread: WTFIT??? The acronym thread.

LOL = Laughing Out Loud
    ASAP = As Soon As Possible
    ROFL = Rolling On Floor Laughing
    Johnalex Zarco
    Coop: United Federation
    Coop Position: Leader/Coleader
    Coop Tag: #UN28CX
    Town Name(s): Daimler-Kingston Industries.
    Playing Township Mobile since May 2016
    "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, But the Lord weighs the hearts." ~Proverbs 21:2 NKJV

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
    OTOH - On The Other Hand (used a lot by DD, i *think* that's what it means, DD must confirm )
    LOL - yes. They are indeed common Internet (fora) abbreviations:

OOH - on one hand
    OTOH - on the other hand / = confirmed

wow, the thing is growing. I use abbreviations a lot and will try to think of posting them here, if you really want to take that on, Nevada. There are about a million collections out there (not with TS specifica, though, indeed)

pls - please
    THX - thanks, thank you
    yvw - you are (very) welcome
    ~ these, too?

as an additional note: What I see quite often here is "phonetical" writing, like "are u <doing sthg>".
    Just want to mention that this does NOT make it easy for foreigners to decipher, as we learn a language, here English, differently (f.e. with "you") and above all, cos we pronounce such letters differently, at first. Mother tongue overrides recognition, so to speak.
    so, an abbreviation is rather something that shortens several words in writing to a "pattern".
    When it shortens one word (like please etc above), it remains recognizable by using usually at least 3 letters. (pretending f.e. when you omit vowels and would speak it, it is still recognizable *g*)

'ikr' - I know right (I hate that phrase but it's everywhere! )

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post

OOH - on one hand

wow, the thing is growing. I use abbreviations a lot and will try to think of posting them here, if you really want to take that on, Nevada. There are about a million collections out there (not with TS specifica, though, indeed)

pls - please
    THX - thanks, thank you
    ~ these, too?

as an additional note: What I see quite often here is "phonetical" writing, like "are u <doing sthg>".
    Just want to mention that this does NOT make it easy for foreigners to decipher, as we learn a language, here English, differently (f.e. with "you") and above all, cos we pronounce such letters differently, at first. Mother tongue overrides recognition, so to speak.
    so, an abbreviation is rather something that shortens several words in writing to a "pattern".
    When it shortens one word (like please etc above), it remains recognizable by using usually at least 3 letters. (pretending f.e. when you omit vowels and would speak it, it is still recognizable *g*)
    Good ones!
    As an American, I dont understand 90% of the "phonetical" words and often end up Googling the abbreviation because, unlike most people my age, I know little about abbreviations.

It should also be included:
    TY means Thank-you.
    Johnalex Zarco
    Coop: United Federation
    Coop Position: Leader/Coleader
    Coop Tag: #UN28CX
    Town Name(s): Daimler-Kingston Industries.
    Playing Township Mobile since May 2016
    "Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, But the Lord weighs the hearts." ~Proverbs 21:2 NKJV

FYI - For Your Information

DD thank you for explaining this , it helps me a person who only speaks and writes one language understand how to write clearer .

OOH - on one hand

pls - please
    THX - thanks, thank you
    ~ these, too?

Mary
    Co-op Peoples Choice #PE4MV6
    Town deadend
    Level 89

Thanks for the confirmation, Johnalex (I thought it is an age thing maybe, and I am too old, but if you say it, too...lol) and Mary for "acknowledging" it (sorry, no idea for a better word right now)

Nevada:
    OS - operating system (of a device)
    SW - software
    HW - hardware

*g* or <g> - grinning
    *G* or <bg> or <vbg> - Big grin or very big grin(ning)
    Last edited by _DD_; 08-04-2018 at 05:25 AM. Reason: added another two for Nevada's list

Quote Originally Posted by Ivvie View Post
    'ikr' - I know right (I hate that phrase but it's everywhere! )

oh yes, indeed. I "hate" it also, cos I don't get it fully, cos the whole "sentence" doesn't make much sense to me - it means something like a confirmation, is that right? any other expression or sentence for it?

oh yes, indeed. I "hate" it also, cos I don't get it fully, cos the whole "sentence" doesn't make much sense to me - it means something like a confirmation, is that right? any other expression or sentence for it?
    You are correct with your interpretation, DD. With proper punctuation, ikr stands for "I know, right?" - Basically, it's composed of a double affirmation "I know"..(pause)..."Right?"

Bob: Isn't it crazy what just happened!?
    Sally: I know, right?

It is used when you are in agreement with a previous statement. The "right?" tacked on at the end can imply different things depending on the context. Sometimes it's sarcastic, sometimes it's shock, sometimes it's bewilderment. The nuance comes across much better when the actual sentence is spoken aloud, but the overall implication is just seeking an additional confirmation of what was previously said: "We all agree on this, right?"
    Last edited by kitty4715; 08-04-2018 at 05:16 AM.

FWIW. For what it's worth.

"Fwiw, I think etc etc" ..meaning, I realise this is just one opinion, so may not carry much weight. A way of softening the intention behind something you're saying, sometimes genuinely, sometimes passive-aggressively, lol.