Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.07 Creating a New Area: Making the Art

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

11.07 Creating a New Area: Making the Art

Woohoo, here’s the second article in our series about creating new areas in the game! If you missed the first one, check it out here.

Now that the storyline is ready, it’s time to create the art and animation. It’s a big job, but we have over twenty hard-working artists and animators ready for the challenge! Want to have a closer look at how it’s done? Then read on!

The recipe for garden area art
    The art of an area consists of several ingredients: landscape, decorations, characters (with sets of different emotions), pictures for the in-game social network, and interface elements. All of this takes about five or six months to create!

The first step is to draft a map of the key decorations that will drive the story and illustrate their connection to other elements and characters in the game. Then each artist gets a part of the map. Some of them sketch decorations and interface elements, while others work on creating new characters.

Concept magic
    To come up with stylish decorations, the artists need to channel their inner landscape designer. Sometimes it takes a lot of research. Even though our team wants to create the garden of your dreams, it still has to be somewhat realistic. All the decorations should match each other and the area’s theme. We want our garden to be a place where you find peace and harmony — how it looks plays an important role in creating those feelings.

Usually, it takes a lot of sketches before the artists are satisfied that they have a workable concept. But sometimes they hit the jackpot right off, and the very first sketch wins the team’s hearts. The concept for the treehouse we talked about in the previous article took a while to settle on because none of the artists had ever seen one in real life! The team gathered tons of references, made dozens of sketches and consumed a fair amount of coffee before they came up with THE ONE.

Your pup also underwent a few changes before he got to his current state of cuteness. Luckily, a lot of our artists have dogs who they used as inspiration, which is why after only a few sketches they ended up with an adorable puppy. Take a look at how he was born!

By the way, you may have noticed that the treehouse has gone through a few upgrades over time. Every now and then our devs revisit garden areas to touch up some of their elements. We even have a surprise for you coming up! Very soon you’ll get lots of new design options for the Treehouse Memories area. Here are some sneak peeks ;)

Once all the elements are ready to go there’s just one ‘little’ thing to do before passing the baton on to the animation team. And that is...to ruin everything that’s just been created! Yes, we’re talking about creating the old and abandoned look you see before you start renovating an area.

Time for animation and special effects
    Animators don’t need to channel the magic of ancient spirits to breathe life into the garden. There are lots of special software tools they use to turn static images into moving objects. But computers can’t do it all themselves — the animators need good drawing skills, an understanding of human anatomy, and knowledge of how objects move through space.

There are two main types of animation in the garden: character movements and special effects. Character animation is particularly fun! To recreate an action, the animators sometimes stand in front of a mirror and pretend to build, carve, or trim something. A trip to a construction site or watching YouTube videos are a great help as well, especially when the action involves the use of specific tools.

The character art needs to be broken down into parts so that it can be animated. That way, using software, the animators can play with characters in a way that’s a lot like playing with a doll to create the right pose and then program a sequence of movements. Unbelievably in just two or three days, the character comes alive!

Creating the special effects that imitate natural processes and liven up your gaming experience is a bit different. In a game, things don’t have to look 100% realistic — it’s okay if they seem a little magical. So besides hours of watching real-life footage and YouTube videos, animators have to fill in the blanks with their imagination. These animators do things like create dust clouds from scratch to imitate construction work or make objects shake when you tap them. By the way, have you ever noticed how plants literally appear from thin air? Yeah, that’s also their work! There’s no need to depict every little detail when our brain can complete the whole picture by itself.

All set. What’s next?
    Once all the components are drawn and animated, it’s time to put them all together. Interested in finding out how every piece of art, every animation, and every dialog appears at the right time and in the right place while you’re playing the game? Then stay tuned for our next piece! ;)
    Last edited by Dasha Mironova; 07-11-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Please, take the bombs away from game. I liked the game till now, but this stresses me and is impossible to do without boosters. I am level 2684.

why cant i play the regular level? why do i have to find keys all the time? no fun, i want to expand my garden

Quote Originally Posted by michelle tedja View Post
    why cant i play the regular level? why do i have to find keys all the time? no fun, i want to expand my garden
    That's because you reached the end of available levels! While we wait a week for more levels to be added (there are 25 new levels each week, usually on Thursdays), you have the option to play these "chest levels" to gain coins and boosters. They are not mandatory, but just a place-holder until they make new levels.

are there new levels coming this week?????im going crazy finding the keys

Quote Originally Posted by Cosygurl View Post
    are there new levels coming this week?????im going crazy finding the keys
    Usually the new levels are introduced on Thursdays. So hang in there for 1 more day
    IMPORTANT: As a Township, Gardenscapes and Homescapes moderator, I only have power to maintain the forums.
    Township Support | Gardenscapes Support | Homescapes Support
    FORUM RULES

Don't like the new update at all. What is it with the garden dollars stuff. Also on my Ipad I have a display problem. In the pup training level (which was by the way my favorite because you could get boosters AND coins), there is two layers on the podiums). And finally it seems that when I updated the game I lost the boosters I had. Not a happy player at all here.

Quote Originally Posted by clpotvin View Post
    Don't like the new update at all. What is it with the garden dollars stuff.
    The new currency is used to purchase new decoration designs, which are part of the new catalogues. They are unlocked for certain areas in the main garden. You can always revert back to your previous choices if you want.

Also on my Ipad I have a display problem. In the pup training level (which was by the way my favorite because you could get boosters AND coins), there is two layers on the podiums).
    I've noticed this on my Android device as well. You just need to close the game completely and open it again for it to display properly.

And finally it seems that when I updated the game I lost the boosters I had. Not a happy player at all here.
    For this, you'll have to submit a report from within your game (Settings > Help and Support > Loss of in-game items), and explain to them what happened.

Nor do I -why can't I use the garden dollars in the maze area? So frustrating!