Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gambling in Regatta

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lee View Post
    Sounds all good and dandy finding a co-op to join, my experience with grouped coops is like being the new kid on the block and those looking down at you. Think if you haven't got your circle of close friends to play with, don't join a strange random group.
    Check your Private messages, Adi
    Joy Fowler

I sail solo. I've been in a small co-op that grew to 30 members, found it way too time consuming and chose to try it alone. It's much less stressful. Then this week I got terribly disheartened when I watched another solo coop zoom to max points and complete their regatta in the blink of an eye. No one else stood a chance. So I sat back, tried to cheer up about it and started looking at the whole picture. Week after week my task selection, no matter how many I dump is nothing short of miserable. I seem to get only the most long winded, time consuming, difficult to plan 135 tasks possible. Working full time, I can't play for 11 hours of the day and I also need to sleep at night. I looked at my options: should I try and sneak a little game time at work? What if I was to spend $30 a week on town cash and buy my way to first place? Well I decided that's not going to happen. Some players might strike lucky with task boards, not have to go to work, spend loads of cash - or all 3. The game is totally geared towards generating money for the owners, of course it is. Much as I love playing and racing it is not the primary thing in my life. So I'm following Garvamatic's advice and playing against my own performance. I love the planning and strategy side of it. If I get dealt with a rubbish task board and am competing against people who are willing to spend their time and money then I won't win, but I will enjoy playing. Then I'll go ride my motorbike up the mountains on Sundays and forget about it. I'm cool with that.
    Last edited by Dragontia; 12-11-2016 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Talking

In my opinion, there is no point in asserting your worldview on other players. From reading these posts and, from general understanding of human nature, it is clear that a full spectrum exists--from casual to extreme.

A casual player might frown upon the seriousness with which an extreme player approaches the game, while an extreme player might scoff at the whining (imagined or real) of less involved players.

Personally, I swing back and forth along this spectrum. I think this motion is powered a combination of boredom, limitations and then updates, events and new strategies. At different times, I want to be a farmer, a city planner, an entrepreneur, a diplomat (in my position as co-op leader) and a competitor.

Thankfully, I feel that Township provides an opportunity to do all of these things in a way that keeps me coming back for more. The introduction of Co-ops and Regattas has enhanced playability, as strategizing is the most satisfying aspect of gaming, for me.

With that said, I must say that I love Garvamatic's "lecture":
    In all contests, you must first compete against yourself, measure your performance against your former performances and possible future ones. Pick a goal you CAN achieve, such as only 135 pt tasks, or more overlapped tasks, or be done by Friday or whatever. Then each week try to personally do better than before.
    I keep a massive spreadsheet, chock full of self-improving stats. I share the ideas with my co-op and, together, we arrive at workable strategies for Regattas: dibs, dumps, best tasks, waiting vs. going all-out, etc. It's just fun!

Cheers,

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitchell; 12-11-2016 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typos
    Mitchell Allen

Aw shucks. I think I blushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvamatic View Post
    Aw shucks. I think I blushed.
    Mitchell Allen

I am not in Golden League yet but I personally can do 13 tasks (Silver) in 4 days or less without spending TCash and without playing 24/7. It's all about strategy, setting up for certain tasks BEFORE you take them, having all tools for certain tasks BEFORE you hit the start button. Example: I can do a 135 point mining task in 15 minutes and a 135 point HOL task in about 3 minutes. I have 66 animals so feeding 120+ animals takes 3 hours at the most, and that is not non-stop playing. I always use the factory booster during tasks and my factories are upgraded to at least level 5, a few are at the max for time.

The harder tasks to do are the island tasks because it takes between 4 and 9 hours to send a ship and you never know what you will get back. Zoo tasks are unpredictable to time because you don't know what the hot products will be - some hot products take 14 minutes to turn over, others take 2.5 hours. Trains are also unpredictable.

This week I had a perfect race, 9 tasks at 135 points each, all done by Friday night.

I tell my co-op members to calculate realistically how long it will take them to do a task with they resources they have. It's not that difficult to pick out the tasks that you can do the fastest with the resources you have in your town and with the boosters and upgrades that you have.

That's good advice, Mariel. Planning and strategy are two of the 3 fun parts for me . However 15 minutes after the start of the regatta today one single member coop has already done 2 tasks to the tune of 270 points. The only 135 tasks I can choose from are 1. Turning all my fields over to cocoa (that's one to plan for), 2. Factory chocolate ring doughnuts (brilliant, I can be cooking the bagels while the cocoa is growing), or 3. Planes. So I'm definitely not going to get first place! The third fun part is being in a competition with other racers. I can see how this is going to go from here, so there's no point spending money on speeding things up. The race element is over for me and I am disappointed again. But it's Ok because I will still have my money in my pocket and there are lots of fun things to spend it on at this time of year

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontia View Post
    That's good advice, Mariel. Planning and strategy are two of the 3 fun parts for me ������. However 15 minutes after the start of the regatta today one single member coop has already done 2 tasks to the tune of 270 points. The only 135 tasks I can choose from are 1. Turning all my fields over to cocoa (that's one to plan for), 2. Factory chocolate ring doughnuts (brilliant, I can be cooking the bagels while the cocoa is growing), or 3. Planes. So I'm definitely not going to get first place! The third fun part is being in a competition with other racers. I can see how this is going to go from here, so there's no point spending money on speeding things up. The race element is over for me and I am disappointed again. But it's Ok because I will still have my money in my pocket and there are lots of fun things to spend it on at this time of year ���������������� �
    Sounds good! Don't you dump any tasks at all?

I dump heaps of tasks. I'm often hanging out waiting for the board to refresh and usually end up dumping most of what comes up as they are under 135 or yet more planes/ trains. By the way, as predicted 2 teams in my league have already reached maximum points possible @ 2160 and completed their extra task only 20 hours in. I've been at work.

Be careful about throwing accusations around. This is how innocent people get accused of cheating. It is very possible to do all the tasks in 2 days. Yesterday I sat down at my iPad in the morning and played all day and evening. I spent no cash and did 9 tasks. There are a lot of real cheaters around. Their stats usually don't add up and they are not difficult to identify. Check out a post called "Global cheating in the Golden League Leadeboard" for more information on this.
    Township level: 119
    Zoo level: 31
    Town: La ville de Ronnie
    Friend Code: 94437W
    IOS: iPad Pro