Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gambling in Regatta

Gambling in Regatta

Its obvious to see, when a single player manages to complete several tasks in a matter of hours, and almost finish all tasks within a day or two, there is some foulplay going on. Making us having to gamble on keeping up, never mind penalties for 'dumping' tasks from the board. As we all do it, right, having to need to for 135's, but then you have those who pay for every single thing to win first. I might use cash now and then, on a random occurrence for a dealer when stuck for items. To soar right through the race like more money than sense, come off it. For why? To make us all part with cash, all there is to win is a gold trophy.

I agree its disheartening to see someone essentially buying their trophy but I wouldnt call it foul play to spend cash in the regatta. Its within the rules and therefore totally legitimate.

I do wish that it was possible to win without spending money though. It would be nice to see how well we could do in a race where everyone worked on tasks rather than paid to complete them. It would be a more satisfying win.

Hi J-Lee.

I am not sailing right now, but when I do it is as a solo sailor. I almost always complete my tasks - 135 pt. ones - in 2-3 days. The only time I spend TCash is if I take a plane task and then I pay to bring the planes faster, so I can get them done and out of my way.

Single players have the advantage of not competing for tasks and can choose and dump them at will. There is no "foul play" - just the concentrated effort of one player. I realize that things are more complicated for multi-member coops - but that is your choice, and playing alone is my choice.

Happy sailing!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lee View Post
    Its obvious to see, when a single player manages to complete several tasks in a matter of hours, and almost finish all tasks within a day or two, there is some foulplay going on. Making us having to gamble on keeping up, never mind penalties for 'dumping' tasks from the board. As we all do it, right, having to need to for 135's, but then you have those who pay for every single thing to win first. I might use cash now and then, on a random occurrence for a dealer when stuck for items. To soar right through the race like more money than sense, come off it. For why? To make us all part with cash, all there is to win is a gold trophy.
    Sometimes they just might be lucky. I finished an amazing regatta last night, and might have been done earlier, except I decided to chill out on last task and do banana boats. I did use a little bit of Tcash, but not much. The lucky breaks were in order of importance re speed:
    I got 7 HOL for 135 and managed to play 6 of them (3 were in a row Wednesday afternoon)
    I got 3 zoo hots for 135 (these are very fast tasks for me)
    I got helicopters only once, but I can complete these usually before the task list refreshes
    I had mining for 135
    I did 4 or 5 factory tasks, with the 30% booster on and was able to work on all of them simultaneously.
    The Tcash I spent, was 36 to speed up 6 sheep and start the next task. I did not need to do this to win, nor did it make any difference, I was just being impatient.
    4 or 5 Tcash on finishing one factory task to hit start on next one (reason as above)
    And 10 Tcash on purchasing last task.

Anyway, except for the bought task, I still would have had an untouchable lead by Tuesday evening based on luck and some strategy. I also prepare for each regatta by saving up boosters, getting extra baskets in the zoo and so on, and clovers, there is no such thing as too many clovers!

In total, I spent less than 50 Tcash & dumped just over 200 tasks, which maybe sounds like a lot but is less than usual for me.

It certainly is not the case that every super fast team is just buying the regatta. They might be lucky. They might be great planners, have more time, have taken the time to stock and upgrade as much as possible.

It also does not have to be disheartening not to be in first. Until recently, I was part of a team, who due to work schedules, made it pretty impossible to ever actually win. But we never acted defeated. We tried to race for the top 3, and the when that sometimes became impossible, we tried for 4th place. Failing that, we said let's just make sure we get all the rewards and so on.

It IS getting pretty disheartening to hear everyone complain that since they can't win, the winners must be cheaters.

Lecture time:
    In all contests, you must first compete against yourself, measure your performance against your former performances and possible future ones. Pick a goal you CAN achieve, such as only 135 pt tasks, or more overlapped tasks, or be done by Friday or whatever. Then each week try to personally do better than before. You don't need to feel defeated just because you didn't win the 'other' race.

Township: Pixelsticks
    Level: 81
    Coop: Float My Boat
    Currently racing solo, because I love planning the most efficient order of tasks.

Well, I am not racing in Regatta anymore. It's fixed, or as I presumed, rich kids playing with cash.
    Since I started flying solo, I won gold in wooden, bronze, steel, silver leagues....come gold league and they had half a dozen single players whizzing through the game like nobodies business, and finishes up way before anyone else. I was only half way through my tasksmat the time. Come second race in gold league, what do you know they allowed me to keep up with them, and won third place. Forget it!

Hi J-Lee,

if you actually had fun racing, why don't you look for a medium sized coop? From what I've seen the most extreme racers are single or 30-people coops. Find yourself something inbetween. I like racing with between 10 to 15 people. The competition isn't so aggressive (unless you have really bad luck once) and getting tasks is still a lot easier than in a coop with 29 others.

~Soreya

Sounds all good and dandy finding a co-op to join, my experience with grouped coops is like being the new kid on the block and those looking down at you. Think if you haven't got your circle of close friends to play with, don't join a strange random group.

Quote Originally Posted by Nana View Post
    Hi J-Lee.

I am not sailing right now, but when I do it is as a solo sailor. I almost always complete my tasks - 135 pt. ones - in 2-3 days. The only time I spend TCash is if I take a plane task and then I pay to bring the planes faster, so I can get them done and out of my way.

Single players have the advantage of not competing for tasks and can choose and dump them at will. There is no "foul play" - just the concentrated effort of one player. I realize that things are more complicated for multi-member coops - but that is your choice, and playing alone is my choice.

Happy sailing!

I have just gone solo,this is my first solo regatta in day one I had completed all my tasks. No cheating just good honest fun with a pinch of good luck as I had pre made chocolate donuts so only had to make four to complete that task.
    All my tasks were 135 points.
    I can dump as many items as I want, I do not have to hold any tasks for anybody,I play as I wish.must say I thoughly enjoyed my game,and now I have the week free to continue building my snowman and rocket.

Going solo is my best decision ever.

I always thought you had to spend T cash to come first in the gold league. 2 weeks ago I spent a fair bit of cash to speed up my tasks and finished with the gold trophy, so since then I have just been racing without spending anything except for the extra task, and I unexpectedly finished first again! So it seems luck plays a big part.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lee View Post
    Sounds all good and dandy finding a co-op to join, my experience with grouped coops is like being the new kid on the block and those looking down at you. Think if you haven't got your circle of close friends to play with, don't join a strange random group.
    Then join a new co-op looking for members and grow with it if you are the kind of person that can be part of a group and not just about me.