Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Just A Little Advice On The Concept Of Helping Others

Haha, as a formerly semi-stingy helper, this post has encouraged me to change my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by scorekeeper View Post

The people that upset me are those that won't mark crates on their trains and planes. Why would you send away planes, without asking for help?

Sometimes the only fun in this game for high level players is to help others
    I actually honestly never thought about it this way! I always thought of asking for help as a "bother" more than a boon to other players, so I mostly tried not to ask for help too much. Since reading this thread, I make sure to flag stuff now though so thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Veganville View Post
    In my co-op we do flag all crates in the same column because that makes it worth using the dealer. I'd rather buy 9 coats and fill someone's 3x3 quickly.
    Similarly when I have to flag the whole column it is usually filled in a snap by one player.
    Ah Ha, never thought of using dealer that way, maybe because I seldom hire dealer (unless it is 60% off), and none of my teammates hire dealer regularly.

You are lucky to always have good helper-friends or teammates! We had tough time filling our airplane at lower level (I don't have many high level FB friends at that time, and barn space is always an issue), especially for large number crates like 12 pine trees each, 10 tomatoes each, etc. If my barn is full to the brim, airplane asking 65 wheat each will be sent off empty, otherwise, I will grow wheat, corn, carrots by myself and fill those big crates. I've even grow 68 or maybe 75 wheat (each crate) for my friend (filled her 3 crates at that time) right after my barn upgrade, so I had enough space to store all those wheat.

And I've seen flagged plane crates left unfilled to the last second, especially those with whole column flagged for help. So I can only say you have amazing friends and are lucky from the start, so you have not developed my kind of caution and reservation.

The way I see it is that helping others is a win-win situation. I receive coins, XP and covers for helping you so why would I choose not to? Even if you have the crops growing in your fields, your factories idle or you have never donated to me it is still in my interest to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimusXDX View Post
    actually, why? Because I request plane goods that way sometimes. My approach is: if I know that I won't be able to produce goods (or buy them) then I don't fill another crates at the same cargo hold. But I'd ask for help for the crate that has goods I can't produce/buy. Then, if anyone would help me, then I fill the rest of crates in the same cargo hold. This way I won't waste goods in unfilled cargo hold. Of course, I request for help only for cargo holds that I have the rest of the goods to fill, so goods coming from helpers are not wasted.
    Sorry for taking so long to answer. The reason I haven't helped when someone didn't fill anything in their plane is I had assumed they weren't going to fill it. If they didn't take an interest in filling their plane, then I wasn't either. But now I see there is a reason, so I will have to re-think that approach. I do recall one of my friends not filling his plane, and I was surprised as he is high level & has a good history of giving.

To return to I think Bess' point on page one, some teams make helps a priority. In my co-op we ask for a minimum of 50 helps a week. Requesting help, generally, is giving another player an opportunity for profit. It's never a "bother." I'd rather fill your train crate and ask you to fill mine, because then we both profit - I don't earn coins for my own train. I try to flag the most expensive train crate, not what's most convenient for me, to make it very worthwhile.

With planes we frequently tell the team what we'll need in five hours so we're ready. If my next plane wants peach jam, and someone's factory is idle, they can make some for me.

I like giving 65 wheat or corn, assuming I have the space, which I usually do or can make space if needed.

Anyway it's been interesting to read all these views on the subject!

I think some people may have misinterpreted my intent and meaning in much of what I opened the thread with. I’m not telling people how to play. As stated, these are suggestions for those who may wonder why they’re always having to add friends. The people the post was directed to are those that constantly ask for help filling plane crates, then they let the plane expire before it’s filled and off it goes. No rewards for them and no clover for me when that happens. And yes I see it partly as a give but partly as a take when I’m in need. It’s not just “all me all the time.”

I completely understand the barn space issue. I’ve been suffering with that as much as anyone. If I see someone asking for 63 wheat and they’re level 40 I know why they’re asking and I’ll do my best to try and fill it - if I, too, have the barn space at the moment.

I see many people on my help list that are always there. They sit for hours waiting. No one is helping them. Especially when they’re asking for three plane crates and three others have not been filled either and there is 20 minutes left on the timer. Or they’re asking for a train car to be filled and the one I filled on their other train days ago is still sitting there and they haven’t accepted it yet. My suggestions are for those.

I have many people on my list who have never helped me back, but they accept the help I sent, usually within the day (maybe not always even that fast) and they remember me occasionally when they have balloons to send out. I don’t begrudge helping anyone. I simply don’t send help after a while when I see they’re doing the things I’ve mentioned. I don’t think anyone wants to fill crates on planes that the player lets expire regularly.

I’m also not suggesting that everyone show a high level of activity. People have jobs and lives. Warm and fuzzy feelings is fine for some people who just dole out help with no regard for reciprocation. That’s one’s prerogative. And yes, it makes me feel good when I can help a new or struggling player out. But really, I reserve most of the warm and fuzzies for real life.

I think some folks were either too sensitive at my post or I was simply a poor communicator. But I hope this clarifies it a little.
    Last edited by TwoEggs; 06-03-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Just so you know when a planes time expires you will automatically get a clover sent so you wont lose out on that.
    Even so I totally relate to what you're saying and also don't like to see stuff I have given to someones plane get wasted, would much rather have given it to someone who it would really help.

Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    Just so you know when a planes time expires you will automatically get a clover sent so you wont lose out on that.
    Even so I totally relate to what you're saying and also don't like to see stuff I have given to someones plane get wasted, would much rather have given it to someone who it would really help.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoEggs View Post
    I think some people may have misinterpreted my intent and meaning in much of what I opened the thread with. I’m not telling people how to play. As stated, these are suggestions for those who may wonder why they’re always having to add friends. The people the post was directed to are those that constantly ask for help filling plane crates, then they let the plane expire before it’s filled and off it goes. No rewards for them and no clover for me when that happens. And yes I see it partly as a give but partly as a take when I’m in need. It’s not just “all me all the time.”

I think some folks were either too sensitive at my post or I was simply a poor communicator. But I hope this clarifies it a little.
    Hey TwoEggs - I think it was obvious that your OP was coming from a place of helpfulness and that the criteria you listed was personal to your own expectations on what a "good friend" should and shouldn't do. I think that some of us (though I can only speak for myself) read it and had a different perspective on some of the things you mentioned and just wanted to share our experience. For example, #3 - If I visit a town and they have 40 grown potatoes on their field, and they flagged a train crate with potatoes, I couldn't care less about the fact that they have a bunch grown. If I have a surplus of potatoes in my barn, I am thrilled to fill that train crate. I also have never checked to see if a player's factory is running or if they have helped me or other people. When I open a player's town asking for help my only thought is "Do I have what you need and do I want to part with it right now?" The only time I ever make a "value judgment" against a player is if they are asking for a valuable item (say coconut soup) and I only have one in my barn. In that scenario, I would only help a player who is a "rockstar" helper on my list that I know has been very generous with me in the past (or someone that is a member of my co-op because I'm always willing to help those amazing ladies).

As evidenced by the responses in this thread, there are many reasons why players may behave a certain way, and different strategies for asking for help and giving it work for different people. So if someone read your list and thought "Oh no, I do some of these things, I must be a bad friend!" they might stop flagging certain crates that others of us actually like filling.

It is certainly possible that there are people out there who are 100% unknowingly behaving selfishly, losing friends left and right, just cannot understand what they are doing wrong, and want to change their behavior so that others see them as a better friend. Your post would definitely give them some insight. But I have a hard time believing that a lot of people fit that criteria (just my opinion). I think most of these people know they are being selfish and are looking for "sucker" friends who will help them regardless (and thus refuse to change their behavior) OR they simply have very limited time to play the game or don't really care about the game that much, so being a "good" friend is not feasible or not a priority to them. They aren't looking to change or understand why people aren't helping them. If you come across such a person and don't like their style of playing, the easiest thing to do is unfriend them. There may be another player out there that is happy to be the "sucker" and fill all their requests.

I'm really glad this thread was started because it has given us all the chance to see people's behavior from a different perspective (like why one person might request a whole column of thing in the plane or why they might wait until their help request was filled before filling crates themselves). It is always helpful to better understand people's strategies.
    Last edited by kitty4715; 06-03-2018 at 07:36 PM.

I really found this thread interesting and learned a lot about how/why folks throw up helps. I also learned a few things regarding my approach/outlook on future helps and how I can change in a more positive manner.

Cheers!