Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Teams Added To Race At Last Minute

I only came on this morning for a small, if justified, rant. Wasn’t trying to start some big ‘thing’, lol, I didn’t even log a ticket over it. If it’s a one-off, then, meh, whatevs. It’s unfair, but it’s the least of my worries. If it keeps happening though, then the next person will know they aren’t the first person and a Playrix will know there’s an issue. That’s it.

Wow, this is really fascinating! In 1+ year I've been racing in regattas, my team has never been moved to a different group or experienced a team added late in the race to my knowledge. But we've always started either right away or within a few hours of the regatta commencing...I assume you guys delay quite a bit?

I'm wondering if this is a strange glitch/server issue where the teams get paired together from the start but a technical error essentially makes one team "invisible". So 9 teams are paired up, but only 8 of them can see each other, and the other 1 thinks they are racing all alone. The only thing in my experience that I can liken it to is the event competition groups. There have been times when the event has started, and I have been placed in my group of 30 people. Say I'm in 4th place. Suddenly I open my game, and the event tab shows I'm the only one in my competition, and I am in 1st place. This happened to me once, and it lasted for hours. Other than that one part, I had no other issues with my game (I could see regatta progress properly, I could help neighbors, I could switch between phone and ipad and my game progress transferred properly). Then mysteriously, I opened the event competition tab, and I was back with my original group of 30.

I wish I understood more of the technical back-end to know if what I'm suggesting makes sense LOL

Edit: Wanted to add that this is the first week ever that we have experienced something strange with the regatta scoring. We had very tough competition (racing against a team in the top 200 on GLB) who finished the race very quickly with a perfect score. They were sitting in first for a while, then suddenly, they dropped to fourth place and had lost 1890 points. That lasted for about 30 minutes, then they zoomed back to first with their original score. I know that's very minor compared to what you all experienced but I did think it was strange. There were several posts this week in the forum from people who were in teams that had their regatta scores calculated incorrectly (the team raced perfectly but the score didn't reflect that) OR they were competing against a team that earned more points than is possible. Seems like it has been a funky week all around for everyone.
    Last edited by kitty4715; 05-22-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Purr View Post
    This makes me curious also: Have you actually never been tossed to another team mid-/end race ever, or are you solely referring to one single new co-op entering the race at the end could never happen?
    (...)
    At one point Playrix has officially stated that some remixing of teams could occur, but if so then only within the first 24 hours after the race has started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bessville View Post
    Hi Charlie. I do cursorily check through to make sure we’re correctly matched for size, but that’s really all I do thesedays. The addition of the new teams was far more obvious than it might usually this week because we weren’t at the full complement of 15. In fact we started with 8 teams and ended with 11. So the new additions were quite glaring, once the team newly ahead of us drew my attention. They appeared initially with a score of 0 that I watched rise in seconds to the winning score. So they cannot have been there all along, regardless of which position they might have been in.
    Hi. It has been ages since we started out with less than 15 in the race, at least by the time I wake up and look at the competition. I think it's because we have 4 people in the UK and they are wide awake when the race starts and jump right in while I get 5 more hours of sleep . So Cathy, I don't think I've noticed wholesale changes to the competition once the 15 is set.

I can see that with 8+ at the start that you'd see more added over time. This whole rule about not entering until a team member starts the first task for the co-op certainly causes new teams to be added to the mix over time. It doesn't have to be a purposeful "delayed start", just to normal march of people awakening around the world. These additions have to go somewhere and this may be why Playrix once said something about the first 24 hours. Minutes before the end of the race doesn't make sense but I can see that several days might actually happen.

Not wanting to contradict some posters in these forums but I don't think Playrix has ever explained or made public how they form the competition groups, aka Regattas, other than "the same number of racing players". (If they have, please provide a link to the information, I'm darn curious as I'm sure many others are).

So, presume that some, dozens, perhaps more, teams "trickle in" over days (up to 5 hours before the end), they would need to be placed into existing regatta matches using whatever criteria Playrix is using. Maybe there's a perfect spot in a matchup that has room, maybe there's not and somebody has to be "bumped" (if that's even in the rules). Like a ripple in a pond, any newly entered co-op might cause a shakeup in more than a single regatta as racing teams bounce around to balance out the other matchups.

As a software engineer (retired) I am both curious of the algorithms and horrified at the possibility of having to implement them. And would that "ripple phenomenon" only affect matchups with less than 15 co-ops?

So, without further information (or speculation), I have nothing more to add and I await that link to the actual rules used to form regatta matchups.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    Not wanting to contradict some posters in these forums but I don't think Playrix has ever explained or made public how they form the competition groups, aka Regattas, other than "the same number of racing players". (If they have, please provide a link to the information, I'm darn curious as I'm sure many others are).
    As far as I'm aware as well, you are absolutely correct.

I don't think Playrix will ever reveal this information, sadly (It probably serves everyone better that they don't in terms of fair play, but I can understand both sides of the argument). As it currently stands, we can observe patterns and note the effects of things but never have a complete grasp of the system or a guaranteed strategy. While I personally believe there is strong evidence to suggest certain factors play some role (having observed abrupt and significant changes in the way my team was paired with others for an extended period of time), I doubt these factors will ever be officially acknowledged.
    Last edited by kitty4715; 05-22-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitty4715 View Post
    The only thing in my experience that I can liken it to is the event competition groups. There have been times when the event has started, and I have been placed in my group of 30 people. Say I'm in 4th place. Suddenly I open my game, and the event tab shows I'm the only one in my competition, and I am in 1st place. This happened to me once, and it lasted for hours. Other than that one part, I had no other issues with my game (I could see regatta progress properly, I could help neighbors, I could switch between phone and ipad and my game progress transferred properly). Then mysteriously, I opened the event competition tab, and I was back with my original group of 30.

I wish I understood more of the technical back-end to know if what I'm suggesting makes sense LOL

Edit: Wanted to add that this is the first week ever that we have experienced something strange with the regatta scoring. We had very tough competition (racing against a team in the top 200 on GLB) who finished the race very quickly with a perfect score. They were sitting in first for a while, then suddenly, they dropped to fourth place and had lost 1890 points. That lasted for about 30 minutes, then they zoomed back to first with their original score. I know that's very minor compared to what you all experienced but I did think it was strange. There were several posts this week in the forum from people who were in teams that had their regatta scores calculated incorrectly (the team raced perfectly but the score didn't reflect that) OR they were competing against a team that earned more points than is possible. Seems like it has been a funky week all around for everyone.
    Hi Kitty, I think you're on to something.

The problem of matching up event competition groups is very similar to the regatta matchups. People don't start at the same time, they have to complete the first level of the personal goals before being placed in a competition group (aka "delayed start" ) and then they are matched up to players with a similar town levels. I've always been matched up with towns around my own level. I've never paid enough attention to the event competition to see if these folks change during the event but as we near the end I do recognize that the players I'm most competitive with don't change.

Also, you're right, there have been a lot of reports about scores not adding up this week. "Team Statistics" not adding up to the "Team Total", etc. I'm wonder if "teams out of nowhere" is a different manifestation of the score issues being reported. That would not explain "new teams showing up" but it would explain "rapid advancement" of scores.

Oh well, we may never know unless Anna's request to the devs bears fruit.

It’s really odd that we remained in such a small group for so long, despite our not having a very late start. I fully expected to see more teams ‘trickle in’ during the first little while, but they just didn’t this time. Many teams will likely have woken up and begun much later than we did, so unless the entire world just happened to all set their alarms for night-time o’clock, rendering our 8 the global leftovers, there was no obvious reason we should have been in such a small group from the outset. Being so has clearly left us vulnerable to this situation.

The couple of times my team got moved mid-race before was during a big purge of cheaters, which Playrix admitted at the time meant mass reshuffling. Perhaps we fell foul of something similar here..

Hello guys,

Thank you for your patience. We are truly sorry for the inaccuracy in this Regatta’s matching. Our devs are doing their best to eliminate this issue and make sure that this situation doesn’t occur again. Unfortunately, it is not technically possible to restore your position lost during this malfunction. We sincerely apologize to all the players affected by this issue.

However, it does not determine the final score for your Co-op, since the position on the Leaderboard is calculated based on the two best weeks of the Season.

We thank you in advance for your understanding.

Have a good day!

Regards,
    Anna

I agree with what has been stated above. But Playrix crossed the line when they threw in a team at the last minute that was not even the same number of people racing. Unfair advantage, and they want us to play fair but they can do what they want. This is absurd behavior. My team fought hard to get a FAIR first place all week, one task at a time, and then WHAM a larger team blasted all the teams in the regatta by 7000 points. i am really disappointed in playrix right now. No reason for it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Petrova View Post
    Hello guys,

Thank you for your patience. We are truly sorry for the inaccuracy in this Regatta’s matching. Our devs are doing their best to eliminate this issue and make sure that this situation doesn’t occur again. Unfortunately, it is not technically possible to restore your position lost during this malfunction. We sincerely apologize to all the players affected by this issue.

However, it does not determine the final score for your Co-op, since the position on the Leaderboard is calculated based on the two best weeks of the Season.

We thank you in advance for your understanding.

Have a good day!

Regards,
    Anna
    Thank you for responding, Anna. Not being argumentative, but we lost tokens, a gold cup win taken away and once again...the principal of fair racing doesn't really mean squat!!

Thank you for the very prompt response Anna. Fwiw, I never expected our position would be restored, but I guess it’s worth you pointing it out for the benefit of those less experienced/cynical than me, lol

I guess my takeaway here is that if you get put in a group that isn’t full, you better pretend you have an invisible team in the mix doing a perfect score. Because you might have!

It also makes me realise I’m unclear on the difference in the prize haul between 1st and 2nd place. Can anyone clarify that for me, so I know how irritated I should be? <wry chuckle>