Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Tools Needed For 20 Clay Task?

To clarify, Saku left the good tasks on the board for other co-op members. He is very much a team player

Quote Originally Posted by Saku View Post
    As season is still 3 weeks on then is possible collect mining tools for 16 Clay Tasks.
    I guess worst for me is around 150-30-20, but cant figure out what is average.
    Please help me find out average amount of tools for one task.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Purr View Post
    We did a little statistics about that in our co-op.

Picks are definitely way over 100 for 20 clay. More like 140 to 170, but with 21 to 45 picks collected same time.
    Other tools seem to be more around the 15+10, with some nice returns (= TNT collected more than spent)
    Hey, folks, since it has while since these figures for the 20 clay Regatta task were discussed, I was wondering if that is still roughly the amount of mining tools needed for the 135-point 20-clay task.

If so, I will probably just delete as that is a lot of mining tools!

Anyone know? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by missy.; 08-02-2019 at 04:15 AM. Reason: spelling

My experience says that you'll need almost 200 tools before starting the 20 clay task. In fact, the 200 estimate accounts for you finding some tools in the mine as you dig so you will really use up them too.

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    My experience says that you'll need almost 200 tools before starting the 20 clay task. In fact, the 200 estimate accounts for you finding some tools in the mine as you dig so you will really use up them too.
    Hi cdosr and thank you. Do you mean I should start with 200 tools and I will use the 200 tools I start with plus I will use all of the tools I find in the mine while mining the clay? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by missy. View Post
    Hi cdosr and thank you. Do you mean I should start with 200 tools and I will use the 200 tools I start with plus I will use all of the tools I find in the mine while mining the clay? Thanks.
    Yes.

Haven't taken part in the regatta this week, but seriously, never needed more than about 100 picks and around 10 - 15 of the others to do clay in the past.

Has clay become rarer in one of the recent updates?

If 200 picks is the case it is over twice what I need for ore, so why would anyone take these tasks?

(Sorry.... rhetorical question...I know we have to take them as they are seasonal and 90% of our 135 tasks will be seasonal as always )

I need more tools for clay tasks than ore tasks. I havent counted exactly what I used but have easily used around 170 picks,so Charlies estimate of total tools sounds about right to me .

Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    I need more tools for clay tasks than ore tasks. I havent counted exactly what I used but have easily used around 170 picks,so Charlies estimate of total tools sounds about right to me .
    I kept track of 10 clay tasks about a year ago. Results are below:

Clay Mining Study.jpg

The top 2 sections are where I kept track of the "Before" and "After" the task so I knew the net change in each type of tool to mine 20 clay. The bottom section shows the results of 10 clay tasks and the net change in tools for each of them The ratio of tools needed to clay mined varied between 8 and 10, meaning you needed up to 10 times the number of tools to start the task as your target mined clay.

Since I recorded the "net change", before and after, any tools found during the mining process simply rolled into the "after" number so the number of tools actually used would be higher, that is, not only did I use up the tools I had to start with I also used up all the tools found during the mining. Since "luck" plays a hand in how many tools you will find during mining, this accounts for some of the variance in the number needed. Mine layout will also affect the number of tools since you might have to use more picks or more TNT to get around some obstacles.

Finally your own "goal" will make a difference. If you go straight for mining clay and ignore any ore you may see but have to dig further to recover, you can use less tools at the cost of leaving ore / jewels / artifacts in the mine. Clay can be easily seen and if you ignore everything else you can dig directly for the clay and ignore a lot of "exploratory digging" to uncover other things. That method would seriously reduce the number of tools needed. I did not do this and you can see in the 2nd section that I picked up quite a bit of ore while doing a clay task which I then used to make ingots.

There you go.

This is awesome, thanks.

Assuming you didn't have a mining booster on while doing these?

Have to say, looking at this clay seems even more unappealing than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashdust View Post
    This is awesome, thanks.

Assuming you didn't have a mining booster on while doing these?

Have to say, looking at this clay seems even more unappealing than I thought.
    Hi. Yes, "no booster" just normal mining gameplay. I suppose with a booster, and if the goal is to gather the ore as well, that you'd use less tools because the "exploratory mining" wouldn't be wasted uncovering empty blocks.

ETA: since the clay is always visible and so are the harder (or unbreakable) rocks, the booster wouldn't be all that useful in a clay tasks if the goal was to go straight for the clay. It would be really useful if you are going to gather ore and other stuff during the task.
    Last edited by cdosr; 04-13-2019 at 05:27 PM.