Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware ‘Suck It & See’ Co-op Members!

Beware ‘Suck It & See’ Co-op Members!

We are a small co-op of four, with just three racing this week, so we were delighted to welcome a new member about 5 hours before the regatta started, this week. We are widely dispersed (Britain, USA, Australia and New Zealand), and only the American was online when the new player joined, but she did her best to make him/her welcome. The regatta duly started, so we are in with others who have 4 players racing. Every so often our new member would be online, and one or other of us would bid them welcome, ask if they had a name they wanted to use (their town name was in English, but was very anonymous), which tasks they’d like and so on. None of us received a reply, then 24 hours into the race this player abruptly left us, and joined a different co-op. The co-op they have joined has 30 members, many of whom speak an oriental language, so maybe our new member didn’t speak English, but as we are clearly marked as being an English speaking co-op we can surely expect any new members to have at least a basic grasp of the language.

So now, through no fault of our own, we have three racing in a league where all the other teams have four. We all of us do 16/135, so may survive, but there’s got to be a strong possibility we will be demoted. I started the co-op and built it up to being golden league, and I feel really annoyed. If we had failed in tasks, or took far longer than the other co-ops, I would accept any demotion as being of our own creation, one brought about through the actions of another player is hard to accept.

It would be nice if some kind of ‘compensation’ scoring could be employed to cover those occasions when a player has left a co-op in the lurch. In the meantime we have changed the co-op status to ‘by request only’, but that’s not going to affect any results this week.

This happens to practically every coop at least once in their lifetime. It's particularly painful for a small coop, that's obvious. There's no telling what exactly went on in the player's head when they did this. Ill intent? Or just a child being a child, and now a worthless paperweight in that other 30 member coop? Or an actual honest mistake? We will never know.

Every coop has this happen to them, and most learn from it. Meaning any unresponsive new members get kicked before regatta starts. And invites go by request only. So, in hindsight you could have prevented this with a pre-emptive kick.

I hope you're not going to be demoted over this. It's absolutely an annoying lesson to learn, and it would indeed be harsh if it came at the price of demotion.
    Blue trashcan: dumping has no effect on current race, only deducts points from Global score (Global Leaderboard etc.)
    Red trashcan: DON'T USE unless you really wish to lose those points in your race!

Android Township player, township name Vuurvlinderstad
    Coop: De Oranjetompoucen, tag #DEQ8WE

Quote Originally Posted by Vuurvl View Post
    This happens to practically every coop at least once in their lifetime. It's particularly painful for a small coop, that's obvious. There's no telling what exactly went on in the player's head when they did this. Ill intent? Or just a child being a child, and now a worthless paperweight in that other 30 member coop? Or an actual honest mistake? We will never know.

Every coop has this happen to them, and most learn from it. Meaning any unresponsive new members get kicked before regatta starts. And invites go by request only. So, in hindsight you could have prevented this with a pre-emptive kick.

I hope you're not going to be demoted over this. It's absolutely an annoying lesson to learn, and it would indeed be harsh if it came at the price of demotion.
    It’s the first (and hopefully only!) time it’s happened to us, in three years of playing, but c’est la vie! We normally do assess all new members, and have kicked people before, but unfortunately timing was against us on this occasion. The player - level 73 so certainly not a newbie, but possibly a youngster, admittedly - joined at 5am my time (London), and the regatta started 4 hours later. They were not online during the 3 hours or so I was playing before the regatta started, so I had no way of assessing their activity or otherwise.

As you say, we’ll learn from this event and, if we do get demoted, we’ll make sure we get back golden in no time at all, but I hope other co-ops never have to experience such an annoying situation.

It used to happen to my old coop from time to time when we were trying to expand. I adopted a policy of only setting to open (instead of by request) during races, and where anyone who didn’t arrive and make themselves available to hear our rules & expectations well before race start would be very politely asked to leave on the end of my very polite foot, lol. Hopefully I did it early enough that they had time to find somewhere else as uncommunicative as they were, and all ended well for everyone. Worse are the astonishingly frequent ghostie ones who walk in, don’t speak, demand huge amounts of help yet offer none, and then log off til their trains come back around, all in complete silence despite cheerful halloos from the team. They were an auto-kick.

About 2 out of 3 of the new members we accept are like this: joining just hours or minutes before a race starts, silent, not helping, not working on any tasks. We have stopped accepting new members before a race, now only accepting them during a race, and if they don't respond or help soon, they are dropped.

It's disheartening every time it happens, but we try not to get discouraged by it.

I wish we could blacklist these players so they wouldn't go on to sabotage other co-ops.
    WePlayDaily co-op on Windows Phone

My advice is to check with your Leader of the Co-Op. They can monitor the chat, which means censoring certain players, certain chat, and overall make up their own problems. The problem with this is few leaders will actually own up to censoring the chat, and not be upfront about just wanting certain players out.

By the way, "oriental" is a Colonial word. The correct usage is "Asian".

One of the perils of being in a small team.

Team I am in has about average 25 players - we get newbie requests and we check their performance to accept or not.
    Some newly accepted players do nothing in game after telling us they were good players.

Near end of game they come on telling us they had problems at home and will be ok next week.

They get dumped in last hour so they do not get the bonuses...

Quote Originally Posted by SweetCakes View Post
    My advice is to check with your Leader of the Co-Op. They can monitor the chat, which means censoring certain players, certain chat, and overall make up their own problems. The problem with this is few leaders will actually own up to censoring the chat, and not be upfront about just wanting certain players out.

By the way, "oriental" is a Colonial word. The correct usage is "Asian".
    That’s a judgmental swipe, Sweetcakes. You didn’t provide the reference to the universal standard for political correctness. As far as anyone can tell, the original poster just thought that oriental counterbalances occidental. It’s a friendly board, lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by EThunderbird View Post
    That’s a judgmental swipe, Sweetcakes. You didn’t provide the reference to the universal standard for political correctness. As far as anyone can tell, the original poster just thought that oriental counterbalances occidental. It’s a friendly board, lets keep it that way.
    Sweetness did not indicate in any way that she believed the word was used with ill intent. She did not judge the poster. She simply stated what many people believe about the word and its' current usage. By the way, many people would believe that a board where words that many people believe to be outdated and or slurs are used unchallenged to not be a friendly board.
    Game Name Buffomatic
    Town Name Peaceville
    Co-op Name V
    Game Level 131
    Zoo Level 45
    Friends list is full, but I'm always happy to have people on my pending list.

This happens alot. So if I accept someone into my co op after Friday Night, they must sit out the next Regatta. To see if they truely can handle us. We chat, and we help alot. We all do 16/135. You can' stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. They usually leave if they can't stand the heat. I have less members leaving on us. I like to see if the new player is going to actually be on playing. Or I will just kick. You have to be a team player, or you are out. And Yes, I work, and so do others.