Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How Did You Design Your Town?

I wanted to post this thread under Design sub-forum but that option is currently unavailable.

I like to visit other towns and it is quite evident that every person has a unique thumbprint. Every one has a different take on how their town should look.

Following could be some of the sub-categories:
    - Players who give a lot of importance to decors and do not hesitate spending coins to make their town look aesthetically nice
    - Players who started doing up their town and then gave it up. So one section of the town looks awesome and the rest ignored (at time stacked with buildings)
    - Players who do not care much about decors or roads in the town. Fields, Co-Op building, Airport and Train station are the only buildings that matter at the moment. I assume that they are probably waiting for proper town expansion first.

I look at my Town design in a slightly different/hybrid manner. I like to split my town into sections,i.e. productive and non-productive with a little effort into cheaper/free decorations.

The most important factor for me that I should be be able to navigate between fields, farm building and factories with minimal effort. These for are the productive part of the Township and I try to keep these closer.

For e.g.
    - All the fields, barn and market are in one corner of the town.
    - Just next to them feed mills and farm buildings like cow shed, etc. It ensures that I only have to swipe once to reach these buildings after harvesting crops
    - The most used factories like bakery, dairy & sugar factory are close to each other. Factories that use rubber and rubber products are closer to each other. You get the drift.
    - I prefer to keep tall buildings at the back to not obstruct vision

These are just some of the thoughts that go through my mind while thinking about designing my town with ease of navigation between productive units being the key criterion.

I would love to hear and learn from other members of the forum about the thought process they go through while designing their towns

Cheers

I have similar plan with my town as yours, New Town.

I want to keep my town as rural or with small town feel as possible, because I love farm-like establishment. So I keep downtown area with asphalt road really small, and keep a larger rural area with dirt road. The farmland area is really difficult to plan, because it just doesn't fit! If I put all the fields in one square area, my fat finger would always hinder me from planting the right crops, or I would always harvest the wrong crops. So I put them in different plots of land and I would rearrange them according to the number of each crop I'd like to plant. My farm land looks like unfinished and would always stay that way unless I retire from regatta and become a real farmer and town designer.

My factories are in one area, with several divisions, so I can find them quite easily when I need them to produce something.

I put feed mills right next to my animal corral area (economical and low carbon footprint, lol).

Across the big river, all my housing and amusement park are located there. That area is "under construction" and unfinished, waiting for my retirement from regatta and after finishing all the CB and housing......

Even though I love my town, but I would hesitate to invite other townshippers to visit my town because it is still under construction and not finished.
    Last edited by hchl; 03-26-2018 at 01:47 PM.

I have seen many towns with dirt road around farm area and it honestly looks nice. I wish Playrix would provide some more road options. Maybe a gravel road in between dirt road and cobblestone road options.

I am also planning to utilize the area across the river primarily for housing so that this side of the river is all about regatta and other side about trying to be creative. My biggest concern is that some of the houses look very clumsy and I am not sure if I am creative enough to make them look nice. Have a few more months of town expansion left anyway :-)

I am done with all the factories so hopefully would be able to give some thought and spare some coins towards town decoration as well.

Similar here too. As much as I'd like some of the 'restaurant' factories incorporated in the urban/suburban parts of town, it would annoy me to have to hunt for them just to check how many burritos I have on the shelves.

The biggest design principle I've used is scalability. I was conscious from the beginning of how much space I'd need for cropland and factories so I was pretty good about creating a layout that wouldn't require a wholesale renovation later. Houses not so much and there are some very dense residential areas - can't be helped right now, until I commit to expansion.

I've always been a fan of realism so it was important to put some of the CBs in a proper spot: the lighthouse on the coast, the hydro plant at the base of the slope, the university and library together plus student housing, there's a civic center with government buildings.

Logical design also accounts for function - the flower shop should be near the hospital, the photo studio near the wedding chapel, automotive businesses together. I'm not perfect on this, but I'll get there.

Roads are a fairly regular grid, which again is scalable, I can extend the existing roads as I clear land. One day I'll adjust some of the road spacing.

I've had multiple designs, by my most important criteria is ease of collecting. My first town was based on Newcastle. Then I tore it apart and based it on my home town...there have been other incarnations, but now I'm designing it in the game candyland. I'm always tinkering.

I keep all of the "interactive" buildings grouped together, but arranged and spaced as realistically as possible, so the mine and foundries are against the mountains and all of my factories are in front of the mine as an industrial park (with market) and the farm (including animals, feed, crops and barn are placed to the the right of the industrial park with the waterfall as the eastern border. That way, everything I have to interact with is all in one quadrant of the overall layout. I've tried to create a downtown area by the train station with a waterfront residential area with beach. To the east of the waterfall, I have an amusement area and more upscale residences and apartment buildings surrounding a botanical garden. Behind all of that is the expansion area I'm working on, including a ultra-modern living complex back by the mountains. To the far east is my personal castle home, surrounded by parks and woodlands. Feel free to visit!
    Last edited by TNapier; 03-26-2018 at 04:41 PM.

My town for the most part is finished I still need more land to expand my apartments still have a few I had to bunch up due to the new Egyptian area. I used my western and now Egyptian area as part of my movie studio My fair grounds I am turning into a 'them park' movie studio attraction Please come visit

I've had multiple designs, by my most important criteria is ease of collecting. My first town was based on Newcastle. Then I tore it apart and based it on my home town...there have been other incarnations, but now I'm designing it in the game candyland. I'm always tinkering.

IDK why that double posted!

Quote Originally Posted by New_Town View Post
    I am also planning to utilize the area across the river primarily for housing so that this side of the river is all about regatta and other side about trying to be creative. My biggest concern is that some of the houses look very clumsy and I am not sure if I am creative enough to make them look nice.
    Did you look through the other threads with similar topics? Lorna G’s town in the coop ‘Lorna G’ was presented there. She had arranged the houses in an amazing 3D construction. Certainly worth a look.

I just noticed, if you enter "Lorna G" in the Advanced search, it will result in at least 5 of these threads (search the whole forum, not all are in the Design subforum)

Quote Originally Posted by Martinville View Post
    IDK why that double posted!
    You can also delete your own posts It's an option in Edit-mode.