Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: How Does Your Co-op Reserve Tasks?

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Burch View Post
    Can anyone in your regatta group reserve tasks, or just captains?
    In recent weeks, we allowed everyone who opted in the regatta competition the right to reserve the tasks, even the house of luck task and mine task, by promoting member to elder's position.

There's only one task (my zoo task) was ever taken by a teammate and she told me about it afterwards. After that, no one took other people's reserved task. We are old friends for many months and know each other quite well. That might be why the honor system of reservation works in my co-op. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope everything stays the same when new recruits join us in the following weeks. Or I'll have to set the rule to prevent stealing, or no reservation at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Graylady View Post
    How can they "unknowingly" take a reserve task? There is an exclamation mark on the icon and, when you click on the task, you see the picture of the player that reserved it on the right. I seem to remember the system ask you if you really want to take the task reserved by so and so.
    The problem is that the various indicators are somewhat subdued. Instead they need to be brightly colored and in your face about it.

For example, the "exclamation point" is a light tan / orangeish color and is small, in the upper right hand corner of the task. If you're not looking for it, you might not see it. There is no other distinguishing mark on the task itself. Some have suggested that there should be a brighter border around the task so it stands out better.

Yes, when you select the task, the info on the right side of the screen does show the avatar of the person who reserved it. But again, if it doesn't jump out at you, and you aren't particularly looking for it, it's easy to just concentrate on hitting the "Start" button (or the "Trashcan" if you are trying to dump it instead).

The "confirmation window" does say that you are attempting an operation on a reserved task. But it's just words in the same place it used to say "Do you want to Start" (or "Are you sure you want to Dump this task"). But you are presented with a "Green Button" to start or a "Red Button" to dump, which is exactly what you would expect if the task wasn't reserved. In other words, there is one and only one confirmation window regardless if it's a reserved task or not. So, again, if you are not paying strict attention, you could easily hit the button of the "expected color" and either "steal" or "dump" someone else's reserved task.

And even if you announce that you are reserving a task in the Chat, it still relies on the person searching for a task to do to read the chat, possibly scroll backwards thorough the old messages to see the claim on the reserved task.

All I'm saying is that I can see that things can happen "unknowingly" if you're not paying close attention to subtle differences. It does not have to be "purposeful" or "malicious" to do it.

They really need to make reserved tasks more noticeable with color changes, highlights, and a larger, brighter "!". Also, there needs to be 2 confirmation windows, first says "Do you realize you are about to do something to a task reserved by one of your teammates?" and requires a "Yes or "No" response, *then* have the confirmation about "Do you want to Start / Dump" with its own Yes / No response.

I totally agree, Charlie!

Definitely need another layer of questions/button for deleting reserved tasks. When you have been "deleting" tasks for so long, it has become a mindless habit to run through them quickly. Even worse if you are half asleep :

The reservation of tasks is causing some dramas in our coop, people keep taking them or deleting them, I liked the idea of the tasks been reserved at first but now it's seeming like a bad move.

My co-op's love the new reservations! We had been using chat to try and track them and this is so much easier. We only reserve long tasks, like ship's, crops and production tasks. Communication is key. We do an organized prep, so not more than 2 people have the same task waiting and they have priority when and if a task comes up.

That being said, we do have a hiccup once in awhile. I love the idea of a timer, an easy way for us leaders to make sure it doesn't sit too long. We have a point minimum and I automatically delete anything under that. I deleted a reserved task at least twice now. Yes, the first round when I wake up. So I try and remember to be careful when I'm half asleep

I'm a fairly new player (less than a month). My experience with task reservations has not been the best. This morning I left my co-op and started my own. In the co-op that I left, multiple higher-level players were promoted so they could reserve tasks. When I would go to the board, I would see 4 or 5 greyed out tasks because I can't do them at my level (currently level 34) plus I would see 4 or 5 tasks that I could do, but they were reserved by higher level players. I was left taking tasks that were very hard, three of which I was unable to finish before time ran out.

I have yet to see a benefit to reserving tasks. It seems to make some players capable of excelling while frustrating the others. It's no wonder more than 20 players in that co-op don't even bother to try to play in the regatta. The task reservation process took the joy out of playing the game.

In our large coop we use reserving only as a way to express an interest in a task, rather than it being a cast-iron guarantee of getting it. It helps our leaders decide which ‘over-threshold’ tasks to dump or leave. It also signals that someone has prepped a long task so we don’t duplicate effort. Works well so far. Reserves don’t seem to be appearing more than one or two at a time, and if they ever did then others could still take those tasks if need be, preventing the board getting jammed up and us grinding to a halt.

That's a good way to handle it.

We had quite an issue during the early days of task reservation since we are a 20+ member Co-Op and only 12 tasks appear on the board at a time.

So now we allow reservation on tasks that require preparation (factory based tasks and island product ones and occasionally for crops that takes some time to grow).

If there is any confusion, the Co-Leaders are expected to step in. For e.g., if a task like House of Luck is reserved I as a Co-leader would overwrite the reservation by reserving it myself and then un-reserving it. the task becomes an available one.

I quite like the flexibility of the system as it is. It allows some coops to use it as a ‘hard’ reserve, meaning don’t touch it on pain of death, or as simply an expression of interest. In my coop it functions as a request not to dump and/or an indicator that prep has been started. If people are breaking whatever rules you have decided on for it, then you deal with it as you would any other rule breach, I guess. But I’d have problems with it if we couldn’t dump or take reserved tasks at all.. sometimes it’s necessary for leaders to do that to keep the board moving for the sake of the whole team.