Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How Does Your Co-op Reserve Tasks?

Quote Originally Posted by Great Town View Post
    When one member reserve any task another can take it or dump it and it creats misunderstanding between the members. What we should do?
    Apologize. That’s what I did today! LOL! I thought that reserved tasks couldn’t be dumped and so didn’t pay attention when I went on a dumping spree. It’s a new feature so it takes a little time for habits to change.

Quote Originally Posted by JPT_LFC View Post
    Anyone who deletes a reserved task is doing it out of spite, as they are not even doing the task themselves. Anyone who does this should be kicked first time.
    Well that’s understanding and reasonable! Why on earth would you immediately decide someone deleted a task “out of spite”? It’s a little paranoid unless you are having feuds within the coop. I dumped a task last night but it was reserved. I didn’t notice it was reserved before I started dumping and this task was among them. I’m the only dumper in my coop so it’s obvious that it was me, I apologized and that’s it. It’s a new feature and it will take a short while for everyone to change their habits and look out for reserved tasks.
    Last edited by Alina Winterberry; 02-23-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scorekeeper View Post
    Seems to me like all this is doing is adding fuel to some fires that may be smoldering in some unstable co-ops....
    Exactly correct! If a coop already had agreed upon rules that everyone in the coop liked and adhered to with regards to reserving tasks then this addition of the "reserve" button will have minimal impact (probably just make the team less dependent on chat to reserve).

However, for those without rules, with poorly defined rules, previously unenforced rules, rules not everyone is happy with, etc...seeing that little yellow reservation mark is likely to cause frustration, confusion and misunderstandings, particularly if/when a reserved task disappears.

I have a hard time understanding why teams that don't like the new feature would use it. Seems like an obvious solution is go back to the way they were managing before.

Quote Originally Posted by Veganville View Post
    I have a hard time understanding why teams that don't like the new feature would use it. Seems like an obvious solution is go back to the way they were managing before.
    Or expect a period of adjustment and form new rules around the feature. I just wish they would have a colored highlight around a reserved task. I wear glasses for a reason, lol, so that itsy-bitsy attention sign is so small and so light they’re hard to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Veganville View Post
    There lies the problem....I would guess that the majority of teams that had a system in place before for managing task reservations are doing perfectly fine with the addition of this new feature on the task board....it is the teams who didn't have any sort of prior discussion or agreed upon system in place that are having the problems. And now that Pandora's box has been opened with the feature built into the task board, it is impossible to go back in time and just pretend it doesn't exist. A lot of times people don't realize how much they might like or want something until they actually get a chance to try it out. So a team member that previously would not have cared about the ability to reserve a task can now see with the click of one button they can put a claim on an easy House of Luck task (or helicopter task, etc) and they might not think twice about keeping it reserved for hours or realize the affect that action has on their teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Alina Winterberry View Post
    Or expect a period of adjustment and form new rules around the feature. I just wish they would have a colored highlight around a reserved task. I wear glasses for a reason, lol, so that itsy-bitsy attention sign is so small and so light they’re hard to notice.
    This is what we are finally realizing, we just need a little more time to adjust to this new feature. The first couple of weeks, we had everyone going "reservation crazy", thinking they should reserve their next task the second they start their current task regardless how long it would be before they could actually do it. So of course that started causing some problems, even though this is a co-op where most of us have been together since the very beginning. So certainly not an unstable co-op! We discussed different options for rules and that was met with anger by some but we seem to have at least refocused on working together as a team again and not on who is reserving what or for how long. We will set official rules regarding reservations (if we choose to use them at all) in two more weeks but in the meantime our discussion will be on how (if) we can use this feature in a positive way for the team as a whole rather than on a list of don'ts.

Thanks cdosr! That will work.😀

Quote Originally Posted by debville View Post
    This is what we are finally realizing, we just need a little more time to adjust to this new feature. The first couple of weeks, we had everyone going "reservation crazy", thinking they should reserve their next task the second they start their current task regardless how long it would be before they could actually do it. So of course that started causing some problems, even though this is a co-op where most of us have been together since the very beginning. So certainly not an unstable co-op! We discussed different options for rules and that was met with anger by some but we seem to have at least refocused on working together as a team again and not on who is reserving what or for how long. We will set official rules regarding reservations (if we choose to use them at all) in two more weeks but in the meantime our discussion will be on how (if) we can use this feature in a positive way for the team as a whole rather than on a list of don'ts.

Ah, Debville, that's good to hear. Just read this thread and tried to wrap my head around the reasons for the uproar about this new feature.
    You just summed it up very good. I'm sure after some time this new tool will be a good addition for every co-op.

Apparently the transition to reserving comes easier to co-ops that already had some reserving before.
    Having been in both sorts of co-ops for quite some time – the rather not reserving and the reserving type – I can tell that both can work equally well and smooth, and with everybody happy.

But still I'd say the new tool is something for all sorts of co-ops. Everyone can use it in the way that fits their style.

A No Reservations Co-op? Fine, use it as marker for tasks that otherwise get dumped.
    (This way a, let's say, 135 pan task hasn't to stay there all day waiting to be taken. Not marked? Gone.)

A Now Maybe Some Reservations Co-op? Great, all the tasks that take preparation can be marked.
    (Not for an infinite time of course. 2 hrs is the common limit, usually somewhat stretchable.)

An Anyway Reservations Co-op? Perfect, now even members that always could, but never did, will reserve their favorite tasks.
    (You can even reserve some fave task for anyone that cannot be around as much. Always a pleasant surprise.)

All in all I think it's just a great opportunity for any co-op to improve the fun in the race for all members.

Quote Originally Posted by Kr105 View Post
    ... how about giving coop leaders the ability to unreserve a task?
    That's already there. Leaders can unreserve a task.
    Last edited by Cathy Purr; 02-24-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitty4715 View Post
    There lies the problem....I would guess that the majority of teams that had a system in place before for managing task reservations are doing perfectly fine with the addition of this new feature on the task board....it is the teams who didn't have any sort of prior discussion or agreed upon system in place that are having the problems.
    Well summed up, thanks, and I bet you're 100 percent correct - in which case the problem is on them, not on the new feature. Teams that ran well and communicated and implemented their own rules before probably aren't struggling with it.