Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Regatta Tasks & Reservations

I'm going to start by saying that I am NOT a fan of a timer, especially considering the way the devs enabled this feature.

There's no LOCKING tasks. And I believe that is the way to go. As Kiet said in the final post, 30 racing members makes an extended "reserve" a major issue. If three members in the US were to reserve a task right before bed, those in the UK waking up and getting ready for a task would automatically be down to 9 available slots. And if that person doesn't get back on until, say lunchtime, then you may have lost 10+ hours with one task held.

A time limit hinders the smaller co-op where there may not be any issues with extended holds, but can be detrimental to a larger co-op.

Might I make a suggestion then based upon what I've seen posted. What if the devs added a "counter" that counted "up" rather than "down" (as would be the case with a timer) so that you can see how long a task has been reserved for and make the appropriate decision whether to allow the reserve to continue or be lost to another person or dumped as the case may be?
    Town: Is it supposed to stay the same?
    Co-op: Global Ninja Farmers (Tag: #GRRK3R)
    Level: 115 . . . .
    Friend Code: A8QUW3

Active Since: September 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Will9455Nikki View Post
    Might I make a suggestion then based upon what I've seen posted. What if the devs added a "counter" that counted "up" rather than "down" (as would be the case with a timer) so that you can see how long a task has been reserved for and make the appropriate decision whether to allow the reserve to continue or be lost to another person or dumped as the case may be?
    Im going to completely agree here. A timer counting how long a task has been reserved would give each co-op the chance to set their own rule/requirement. Whereas one team might say 60 minutes, another might say 5 hours and even another not have a limit at all. As long as the leader/co-leader enforced the rule across the board, and it was noted so all members were aware.

Can everyone be given the right to “reserve?”

Quote Originally Posted by Kiet Nguyen View Post
    My Co-op have been using "reserve" as a good way to done the most tasks possible for everyone, but we did it in chat. Now that the new Reserve button is released, i think it is a great update, but then there is still some controversies about the time limit you are allowed to reserve a task. I think you should add a timer on reserved task so others can't delete or take that task until the time run out and the reserve member didn't take the task. The timer can be various from 0 to 60 mins (or more), and can only be changed by co-op leader (or maybe co-leader). This way to make sure those reserved tasks won't get picked or delete by someone esle while you prepare for it and still doing the task on hand.
    My coop team members are having issues with only elders being able to reserve tasks. Non elders are requesting the ability to reserve also. This is causing some confusion in my team.

Complications with dibbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiet Nguyen View Post
    My Co-op have been using "reserve" as a good way to done the most tasks possible for everyone, but we did it in chat. Now that the new Reserve button is released, i think it is a great update, but then there is still some controversies about the time limit you are allowed to reserve a task. I think you should add a timer on reserved task so others can't delete or take that task until the time run out and the reserve member didn't take the task. The timer can be various from 0 to 60 mins (or more), and can only be changed by co-op leader (or maybe co-leader). This way to make sure those reserved tasks won't get picked or delete by someone esle while you prepare for it and still doing the task on hand.
    I like the idea of a timer. In our coop, the higher levels take the harder tasks especially island produce which can be 9 hours in advance prepping. We have problems where players can see the yellow dibbs on cream background and two tasks were dumped accidentally because of this. We also had the situation where a player dibbs a low pt task. I wanted to know who and as I clicked on their profile pic, it undibbsed the task on the player. It’s a great feature but it isn’t a perfect system yet.

This is an interesting post, and I'm surprised no one else has commented on it, because I think there's some real good suggestions here.

I definitely like this idea of choosing the reserve feature, or not, and being able to "control" it if you do.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”Met a man wearin' a t-shirt, says "Virginia is for lovers"
    Had a Bible in his left hand and a bottle in the other
    He said "all you're really given is the sunshine and your name"
    We both started laughin' when the sky started to rain”

Some very good ideas. I hope Playrix will take these into consideration. I particularly am interested in a timer since we have already had some co-op members reserving tasks for over 12 hours (tasks that someone else could have been doing easily, but felt bad about asking if they could take it from them.)

I really like all your ideas when it comes to reserving, especially the timer. Hopefully they could implement a timer for reserving just how they have timers for each task to be completed.

I also like the “hard” setting where the reservation is locked so that other members can not take it. (Would lessen the drama for sure.) In this way, members can ask the reserved party if they can unreserve the task to allow that member to take the task they requested of that reserved party. If they do not respond, then once the timer kicks in and ends, then the requesting member can take the task.

Another suggestion would be that once the task was reserved once by that player, they cannot reserve it again BUT they can choose to start the task. With this, it would allow other players a chance to reserve the task. (Definitely would cause drama if the player who first reserved the task, later comes to find out reservation timer ended, then someone else reserved it. Lol. Well, that’s why the timer is in place and by that time, they should already know that they need to start the task within the time limit.)

Also, if the leader has authority to remove a reservation during “hard setting”, that would cause drama again and that’s where the timer comes in. Then again, if there are rules set up for reserving certain tasks and that a player chose that certain task then allowing leaders to be able to remove due to their rules would be needed or they can choose to dump the task.

In addition to the reserved setting would be, maybe, a “limit” to the amount of tasks reserved since there are only 12 tasks. (Not sure if this was mentioned but if so, helps to suggest again) The reserved button would be limited to a range from 1-12. Once the limit is reached, the reserve button would be unclickable.

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    One new setting for regatta tasks:
    Minimum Task Value (or Range of values). Two values, "Low" and "High" to set the range your co-op will accept. If your team wants to set it to "Low 135, High 135" or "Low 120, High 135", so be it. While I don't see the high ever being set to anything less than 135, setting it lower might be a way for a team to exclude some seasonal tasks (the Combo Tasks seem to generate emotion on both sides, same goes for the Mystery Tasks).[/INDENT]

I know that there are some competition questions about setting a limit on the lower task value. It would certainly affect the "Dump Ratio" for GLB teams but I would think that all the truly competitive teams would use similar values anyway, bringing "skill" into the race rather than the "random luck of the draw" when it comes to desirable tasks.
    I am assuming they would select from a range as something like this:

🔲 135-135 (selected for task value of Low-High)

(I gotta post an example or else I wouldn’t understand)

If that’s the case, then all tasks would be valued at 135. If so, then all teams must be paired by this task value system AND the amount of team players for each race. Then the race would then be whoever “completed all task done” in the shortest amount of time, if the value was selected as “Low 135-High 135”. (That would be a miracle if all team members were to complete all tasks! You can count me in for this team!)

There would be less of a competition because they already know each and every task is set at 135. And the only way to beat the other team would be to have all team members do “all” tasks. So I’m not sure if you understand what I am getting at but, all in all, I still like the suggestion of having to choose what task value shows up.
    Last edited by joschuu; 02-18-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Some additional thoughts:

Instead of hard/soft, just make it so that leaders and co-leaders get a clear and useful notification for
    - One member taking someone else's reserved task
    - One member dumping someone else's reserved task
    So we can know and deal with the people that don't respect other member's reservations. It's not easy to "catch someone in the act" on this.

Instead of enabling us to set a timer, just show the duration of a reservation, so we can check how old it is.

These suggestions both don't involve adding extra options to the game, so they might be "less work" and easier to implement?
    Blue trashcan: dumping has no effect on current race, only deducts points from Global score (Global Leaderboard etc.)
    Red trashcan: DON'T USE unless you really wish to lose those points in your race!

Android Township player, township name Vuurvlinderstad
    Coop: De Oranjetompoucen, tag #DEQ8WE

Quote Originally Posted by Vuurvl View Post
    Some additional thoughts:

Instead of hard/soft, just make it so that leaders and co-leaders get a clear and useful notification for
    - One member taking someone else's reserved task
    - One member dumping someone else's reserved task
    So we can know and deal with the people that don't respect other member's reservations. It's not easy to "catch someone in the act" on this.

Instead of enabling us to set a timer, just show the duration of a reservation, so we can check how old it is.

These suggestions both don't involve adding extra options to the game, so they might be "less work" and easier to implement?
    I chose off/hard/soft as options so that a leader could chose how they want the co-op to play.

A "task activity log" as suggested in another post or a simple "task was taken by XXX" or "dumped by YYY" when waiting for a refresh might suffice. Your "notifications of asocial behavior" might be a good idea too, either in the Leader's inbox or in the main chat for all to see the infraction.

Sure, a "count down to expiration" or a "how long has it been reserved" display solves the same problem in slightly different ways. One can cancel the reservation automatically, the other allows for some discussion as to why it's been reserved so long.

I'm not worried about the "less work" on the part of the developers. In my opinion, they did a half-job on doing reservations. They called it "reservation" but it's really just "mark the task". I'd like to see them do the extra work to make it a useful feature to all the players. Currently, it's causing a lot of confusion and drama.
    Last edited by cdosr; 02-19-2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: for clarity

I like all of these ideas, but would be very happy if they would show how long a task has been reserved as a first step. That would be incredibly helpful if our co-op wants to limit how long tasks can be reserved (we are talking about 2 hours). As it is now, someone would have to try to keep track of that, which would prove to be difficult and could lead to human error. I can imagine the fallout if someone simply thought a task had been reserved for more than 2 hours and considered it "fair game" and took it, if it had in fact only been reserved for an hour and 45 minutes.