Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Regatta Tasks: Reduce Dumping

Regatta Tasks: Reduce Dumping

Dear Playrix team,

Are you open to improving the fun of participating in the regatta? Yes, that is a rhetorical question. Of course you are, you've introduced seasons with different rewards and varying seasonal tasks. You've introduced reservation of tasks, a Quality of Life feature. You are not just open to improving the fun of participating in the regatta, it's in fact a focal point!

So now that we've established that, let's take it to the next level. If you asked the players of Township ONE thing they really don't like about the regatta, I'm willing to bet that it's the need to dump so many tasks before you get one of your liking. Just to illustrate what source of frustration dumping can be: 1 day into this week's regatta race I've dumped 134 tasks and finished 3 tasks. I'm literally dumping over 40 tasks for each task I run. That, to put it mildly, is not a really satisfying experience. It could be so much better.

Or in other words: if you want to really increase the enjoyment of the regatta, find and implement ways to reduce the need of players dumping tasks! And if you reply by saying: "didn't the reservation feature do just that?", I'll say "That surely was a step in the right direction, but if you really mean to take it to the next level, there's more you need to do.".

Here's -an- idea. Odd chance that it's the idea your dev team would come up with or be willing to implement, it's mainly to demonstrate a kind of feature that would probably please a lot of regatta racers:

Give coop-leader and elder the option to set a point range for tasks for the coop. For example: 73-135 means you can get any of the available tasks for the season within that range. Or 125-135 means you'll only get tasks that reward 125-135 points as available in that season. Or 135: only maxed tasks as available in that season.

You can easily tell the demand for this option is HUGE. So many coops have "do only 125+ tasks" or "only 130+ tasks" or "only 135 point tasks" in their description!

So would it be worth it to sacrifice the income from tcash spend on speeding up new tasks for the sigh of relief from your customers? That -is- the 10-million dollar question right?

Here's what you could do: don't ask us, get the answer from your server. Just compare the number of dumped tasks with the number of speeded up tasks. If the number of dumped tasks is a very, very, very, very large number compared to the number of speeded up tasks, then that should tell you that your value proposition may not be working as well as it could.

So you could consider to change your value proposition. Increase the value of what the customer would get for speeding up a task: knowing that the task will at least be worth the number of points they are looking for. Yes, I'm telling you that you could do this and you might actually make more money. Directly from more speeded up tasks. Indirectly from players enjoying the game more and longer.

After all, this game is a business. I think I see a win win here, even if I don't have access to any of the server data you have.

For anyone that made it to the end of this post, and who read it all: thanks for your patience!
    Blue trashcan: dumping has no effect on current race, only deducts points from Global score (Global Leaderboard etc.)
    Red trashcan: DON'T USE unless you really wish to lose those points in your race!

Android Township player, township name Vuurvlinderstad
    Coop: De Oranjetompoucen, tag #DEQ8WE

I feel like I've seen ideas similar to this recently, and I feel like a responding idea was to perhaps offer a point total variety.

So instead of getting a HoL task pop up 6:135, and another pop up 5:125, you just get one HoL task show. When you click on it, it gives you the option to select whichever one you'd rather do.
    For example.

I think I've only seen those two options. Trains might be a better example. There's often multiple trains on the board; perhaps one could be a choice of 135 or 117 points, whilst the other could be 125 or 94 (or whatever the points are).

I like either option.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”I can hear you; but I won't.
    Some look for trouble while others don't.
    There's a thousand reasons I should go about my day,
    And ignore your whispers which I wish would go away, oh”

Both great ideas. The co-op I'm in is talking about sitting out the interpersonal regatta because the tasks are so bad.
    Town: Katucket
    Co-op: Flying Cloud #FYWW7J
    Playing on Kindle since August 2017

I think that if teams are constantly dumping tasks with low points and only taking high point tasks there should be some way for the system to detect this and refresh with tasks that have the same point values as the ones actually taken, NOT the ones dumped! You dump an 87 point task and a 95 point task pops is! Meanwhile only tasks with 135 are being selected. It doesn’t make sense except that it somewhat forces us to PAY to refresh the board. The Facebook groups are all over this! Really what does it take to make a change? In my humble opinion if a 135 point task is selected another 135 point task should pop up to replace it. Isn’t this a doable option?
    Dane Deluxe Co-op Leader
    CT, USA
    Way too addicted!

These are very interesting ideas. They would be great QoL improvements. Even though my co-op is a relaxed, casual one, we still don't like tasks that are less than 100 points.

Another thing, it would also be nice if the system could weed out tasks that there aren't enough time to complete at the end of the Regatta rather than us going on a dumping fest the last 2 days.
    Town: Cedar Spring
    Town Level: 116
    Co-op: Spring's Bounty - International Regatta Community
    Forum Member: December 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    I feel like I've seen ideas similar to this recently, and I feel like a responding idea was to perhaps offer a point total variety.

So instead of getting a HoL task pop up 6:135, and another pop up 5:125, you just get one HoL task show. When you click on it, it gives you the option to select whichever one you'd rather do.
    For example.

I think I've only seen those two options. Trains might be a better example. There's often multiple trains on the board; perhaps one could be a choice of 135 or 117 points, whilst the other could be 125 or 94 (or whatever the points are).

I like either option.
    That would also totally float my boat. I like this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDane View Post
    I think that if teams are constantly dumping tasks with low points and only taking high point tasks there should be some way for the system to detect this and refresh with tasks that have the same point values as the ones actually taken, NOT the ones dumped! You dump an 87 point task and a 95 point task pops is! Meanwhile only tasks with 135 are being selected. It doesn’t make sense except that it somewhat forces us to PAY to refresh the board. The Facebook groups are all over this! Really what does it take to make a change? In my humble opinion if a 135 point task is selected another 135 point task should pop up to replace it. Isn’t this a doable option?
    Everything is doable. I personally do think that your option to present new tasks based on some kind of "intuition" of what the particular coop likes best isn't the most straightforward one. And is likely to work out less optimal for coops with members that like a variety of tasks all over the point range - we're not all the "130+" type.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany Clarke View Post
    These are very interesting ideas. They would be great QoL improvements. Even though my co-op is a relaxed, casual one, we still don't like tasks that are less than 100 points.

Another thing, it would also be nice if the system could weed out tasks that there aren't enough time to complete at the end of the Regatta rather than us going on a dumping fest the last 2 days.
    Interesting thought, but how would it work out in practice? Would the task board be flooded with mining and HoL tasks the last racing day? That could make for some interesting effects surely, but I'm not sure it'd actually be more Quality of Life. More like Bloody Sunday with everyone fighting over the "abundance" of fast tasks with a stressed vengeance because it's today or never?
    Blue trashcan: dumping has no effect on current race, only deducts points from Global score (Global Leaderboard etc.)
    Red trashcan: DON'T USE unless you really wish to lose those points in your race!

This idea is needed badly, as it's too random or unfair. Someone could have completed all tasks due to luck of them popping up and someone else could be behind due to having to delete so many tasks, that they have not had the option to do all tasks.

Co Op 1 for example could start with 5 135 tasks on the board

Co Op 2 could start with 1 and not get another until after 500 tasks have been deleted.

I've seen people suggest having a platinum league, if that ever happens it has to be all 135 tasks available only.

Luck is part of most games. Luck is neither fair nor unfair, as random is random for everyone.

Luck in itself, represented as random, is a well used game design feature. And for good reasons too. Random in itself creates variation, which is good. There is however a possible issue in games in which random represents itself as "mostly bad luck".

Random with "mostly bad luck" as result is a dominantly poor experience for the gamer. Having "mostly bad luck" isn't a fun concept (sic), unless you're having a day where everything ironic that happens to you makes you giggle. You know those days, where things that would normally have you break down in tears or scream in rage just make you laugh like a crazed monkey. Right. I'm going off topic.

If the "good luck" result associated with the random is extremely good, the "mostly bad luck" is more acceptable (compare Legendary item drops in a MMO). But if the "good luck" result is as mundane as a right proper 135 point task, then the poor odds are unnecessary from a game balance design point of view - considering how a majority of players is keen on high point value tasks.

TL;DR: it's not about luck being fair or unfair, it's about making the game a more fun experience for all.

I agree with the original poster. I have opted out of the past 3 or 4 regattas because it got boring and frustrating. You don't want players dropping out of the game, do you??? Please make the regattas a little more fun by allowing teams to limit the point range on tasks. Even just one check-mark for "125 and up" would be an improvement.

Intriguing thought. But here's the dilemma.

Regarding the point range option: Personally, I would love to never have to fight with a board that seems to be almost always half empty, the high point tasks already taken by those able to get on earlier and the rest dumped to get more of those elusive high point tasks. But in reality, this is a major dynamic of change. My little town (approaching level 56) is the lowest-level player in my co-op of 30 members. Though it would seem likely that I would be able to get more tasks in a shorter time, it also means the others would be ready to pounce as well. The bigger concern though would be that most players would complete their tasks in an even shorter amount of time, changing the way the race goes. And I would fear that doing so would also mean changing the task parameters so that it required even more to complete a task as a way of compensating for the faster retrieval time.

The whole luck/random aspect (whichever way you choose to view it) would lose much of its appeal. Is it a challenge? Yes. But isn't it supposed to be a bit of a challenge?

And regarding the task board refreshing with ONLY tasks that can be completed within the allotted time frame, it might cause a new breed of racers to not start until late on Saturday with the expectation of being able to complete all these simpler tasks within a shortened time frame. Like Vuurvl said, "Bloody Sunday".

I agree that the regatta needs some sort of a "boost", but I am unsure if this is the way to go.
    Town: Is it supposed to stay the same?
    Co-op: Global Ninja Farmers (Tag: #GRRK3R)
    Level: 115 . . . .
    Friend Code: A8QUW3

Active Since: September 2016