Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Township Coming to An End?

Is Township Coming to An End?

I have received lots of emails and a few PMs these past few weeks. Many things discussed, but every single one ended on the same dour note: I (we) are just about to pack it in with the game - it seems to be stalled and going nowhere. Many long time players, some newer; some speaking for the feelings of just themselves, others speaking for their co-op members too, all sharing the same following themes:

No new houses
    No new Community Buildings
    At population max, so no way to do future expansions if there are any
    Bored with and tired of Regattas
    Only playing Regatta for new decos, not serious racing
    Nothing new in Zoo - no new animals, expansions
    Only check into the game once or twice a day - nothing much to do
    Or only come into the game for Events - if they are fun/interesting enough

I share all the above feelings of these many players from many different countries.

Is Township stalled and slowly drawing to an end?

This is a variation on the tired old MMO forum theme: Is this game dead? Sooner or later (usually sooner) MMO forums begin to become inundated with members making threads about how the game is on its last gasp and is ready to die. These are players that have become bored/disillusioned with the game and so since they're unhappy, everyone must be unhappy. Since they're about to leave the game, everyone must be about to leave the game, and so naturally it's going to die. Yet none of the MMOs where I've seen these apocalyptic predictions are dead yet. In fact, all of them have been going on for years after forum users have claimed they were nearly dead, nobody plays it anymore, it's not making any money, etc, etc.

Do I believe Township is coming to an end? No. I expect Township (barring an announcement from Playrix that they are closing the game or will no longer be adding to it) will go on for several more years. Game developers have unlimited options for breathing fresh life into their games. I've seen it happen over and over on MMOs.

Even if Playrix doesn't add more houses or community buildings (and they could at any time), they still have plenty of options for expanding the game. They added the zoo. They could add something else similar to give long-time players something new to do. They could change the reasons/rules for land expansions and make them based on something else in the future. The zoo itself could still be added to at any time. There's simply no way to predict what may be added to the game in the future. Or how the developers may change the game in order to accommodate more growth. They added the co-op and Regatta. They could easily add something else new. And so the game goes on.

Do long time and impatient players get bored now and again? Yes. Do people leave the game? Yes. I've gotten bored and taken brief breaks from the game more than once. So far, I've always come back and so do thousands of other players. New players are always joining the game. Old players are always coming back. This is the nature of gaming. I've learned by experience on many other game forums to be wary of the "Is this game dead or dying?" mentality. The answer in nearly every case is "No, this game is doing just fine." And years go by.

A better question than "Is this game dead or dying?" is "Am I bored enough with this game that it's time for me personally to move on and find a new game?" The answer to that may be "yes." Sometimes, it's just time to move on.

I'm still having fun on Township. Are there things about the game that annoy me? Sure. Would I like to see some specific changes? Yeah. But these are not enough to make me consider leaving the game. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that plenty of other people feel the same way I do. We're still playing the game, warts and all. We're still supporting the game. And we're a large enough group of consumers to keep the game running for a long time. So, it goes on. I don't see any signs that Playrix is giving up on Township or that people are leaving en masse.

Another common misconception about game longevity is that if a gamer is tired of a game, then the game is bleeding players. People like this have a whole list of players they know that have left or are threatening to leave. They equate their anecdotal evidence with proof the game is dying because it seems like to them that everyone is leaving, when in reality, the number of people leaving is relatively small. It just seems like a lot to them because they've become so sensitized to fellow gamers' dissatisfaction that they're entered an echo chamber of sorts where every player is singing the same tune.

I still have goals on Township that I'm enjoying working toward finishing. I'm working on finishing up my zoo. I'm working on upgrading my factories, trains, and ships. I'm still decorating and tweaking my town design and making room for the new decorations they are adding (would like to see more). I'm still finishing achievements. I'm still collecting artifacts and finishing collections. I'm still upgrading my decorations. I still play and have hope for new events in the future (with good rewards)!

Other people may be more bored than I am. It may be time for them to find a new game. But I don't see any real evidence that Township is dead or dying.

Boy, Nana, you are on a roll!

I still play a lot everyday, I still participate in the regatta, I still get excited over events and updates BUT I know this is only because of this forum and The Den and the WONDERFUL friends i have made!

I have to hope that Playrix is working on Something Big for us....As Zena asked, where does the road under the railroad tracks go??

Hey Score! Don’t mean to be on a roll. I was behind on email and catching up on my tardy replies - so maybe getting so many similar messages at once hit me with a pessimistic mood.

Both Graylady and I recently - on unrelated threads - hoped we were seeing vague signals like your Zena reference above.

The Forum is always a good place to get some feedback (hopefully positive) to share with friends. Might as well throw it out there and see what people say/feel. Hopefully, not all of the comments will come back the length of a novel. LOL

Well, I am always complaining about the game. I start complaining when having my morning coffee while harvesting my overnight preps and stop when I prepare everything for the next day before I go to bed. In between I play for reaching next town level, play for finishing regatta tasks, play for levelling up my zoo. What else? Ah yes, I’m complaining also in between.
    Is the game dying? No, as long as I am complaining my game is alive, like me.

Missy’s - hello! Long time no see.

I second everything you listed in your post.

My zoo is done. Animals and shops maxed out.

All achievements are done. I even have all the profile pic unlocked that Ill never use.

Town is so full I have no desire for more deco.

All I have left to do in the game is work towards a new level which is 170 something, I could care less. Im finishing off upgrades which shelves and time are complete in every factory. I have around 70-100 percent on xp and around 50 on coins.

Collections and upgradable deco are all done.

Racing has become boring to me. I dont need the rewards and find it more like a job to race than fun. Events are okay at least some. Again I dont really need the rewards.

Over the last year Ive hoped and hoped for more of what you mentioned new animals, community building, crops, anything to expand upon Township a game of farming and town building as advertised. Yet with each month gone by its the same old routine, another event and regatta changes. I feel like they should rename the game to RegattaEventVille. I just recently eclipsed the 1000 day playing in a row mark and ask myself why I continue. The only thing I can come up with is to continue to hope that something other than an event or regatta change occurs. This game has provided many many days of fun and joy but its becoming a drag getting disappointed with each and every update.

It would certainly be good if there were some new features for those that have completed the challenges as it stands. I would have thought it would be relatively straightforward to introduce a few more animals for those maxed out at the zoo for example.

Bethany seems to suggest perhaps those who have accumulated all the buildings etc should be looking for a new game but one of the enduring attractions of township are the friends that we are able to make both through the coops and by interaction with other players via facebook and this forum. I would certainly miss the very good friends I have found via township and I am prepared to suffer a little tedium in gameplay to maintain these links. I really can't see why we can't have our cake and eat it though. Why not throw a few more fish into the sea to satisfy long term players?

Quote Originally Posted by Talpa View Post
    It would certainly be good if there were some new features for those that have completed the challenges as it stands. I would have thought it would be relatively straightforward to introduce a few more animals for those maxed out at the zoo for example.

Bethany seems to suggest perhaps those who have accumulated all the buildings etc should be looking for a new game but one of the enduring attractions of township are the friends that we are able to make both through the coops and by interaction with other players via facebook and this forum. I would certainly miss the very good friends I have found via township and I am prepared to suffer a little tedium in gameplay to maintain these links. I really can't see why we can't have our cake and eat it though. Why not throw a few more fish into the sea to satisfy long term players?
    That isn't what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that if there are players who have grown bored/disillusioned with the game and actually believe that it's dead/dying should consider looking for another game rather than continuing to complain about the game they believe is dead and possibly disillusioning newer players. This is a common thing on gaming forums. It has nothing to do with how many buildings a player has. A player can become convinced a game is dead only days or weeks after beginning to play. It's about attitude and expectations.

Township shows no genuine signs of dying. Players that are bored often perceive a perfectly healthy game as being dead because of their own disillusionment. That's my position.

Very well said, Talpa. You too Regatta 135. I do think many players would like to see more TOWN-ship, in Township.

As to disallusioning new players by discussing it on these Forums, I say “Pheh” - they will get here in their own time and speed, just as we have. I mean it’s not like there is really any other place to end up once the town is built and the Zoo completed.