Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Forum Changes Would You Like To See?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    Okay, so it's clear there's a whole mess of unhappy vibes floating around at the moment, and I am wracking my poor lil brains out trying to come up with a fix-it-feel-good answer to any of it. So.

What changes do you think need to happen? What would you like to see done in the forum?

I'm not saying anything will come from this, but, if between us all we can come up with some ideas, I can pass them along. After all, we have a wish list for the game, why not one for the forum?

I would respectfully request we don't turn this into another complaints thread. By all means use a complaint as an example to propose a solution, just, no complaint-only posts, please.

Let's see if we can air some stuff out and come up with some potential solutions.
    I'm a bit late to this discussion. Concerning the gold membership, the importance of being laureled is a very personal thing. Some people couldn't care less, and for others it's very meaningful. Personally, I think laurels are fun and nice but no big thing, but I also recognize how important this is for others. The simple fact that this forum doesn't seem to use a completely objective method for this promotion is cause for trouble: some that have it will think others don't deserve it (yet), and some that don't have it yet think they deserve it. They're all neither right nor wrong, and they share that the distinction is somehow important to them, and who is everyone else to question that? My recommendation would be to use a fully objective method. And to introduce some more ranks, for further distinction.

Likes? Personally I think likes basically turn a forum where every post counts as a post into an echo chamber where some posts are valued more than others. I'm familiar with likes on a forum. I've seen the envy it created in some. I've seen people manipulate the forum to harvest likes. Okay... The argument for "likes" would be that it makes it easier for the Playrix CM's to see important posts. That is true to some extent. But when it comes to important threads, the distinction is already really easy: all the long ones. And personally I'd rather have the Playrix CM's read all (long) threads including the outlier posts, the dissident posts and not just the popular ones.

A welcome change would indeed be some more Playrix team interaction. But that's admittedly hard to pull off. It requires time (doh). And most of all there's actually very little the Playrix staff could tell us. They won't let any details out until they're actually in the game as is, and understandably so. And whatever they can tease us with, we get ingame anyway.

What would be nice if the Playrix CM's did a little "ask the devs" from time to time, maybe even regularly. Perhaps not in the form of a AMA, unless the Playrix devs are really gutsy. But we have to realize the CM's split their attention to all social media. And this forum, honestly, is but a small portion of the many players they have to interact with. We're of course very important but we're honestly not that important

Cheers!

I am a newbie and clearly don't participate much but read the pages. I have learnt almost every trick and strategy from here.

Perhaps an obvious one, but here goes- revert to the non badge system. Recognition should come from respect and comments rather than from badges. Badges , especially when symbolised by increasing value( like copper, silver, gold badges) is sure to lead to angst. With a badge system, it is going to happen that there will be a small percentage who will post/ reply/without adding any value or knowledge , just to increase count, likes, whatever. My understanding of this forum is that players assist each other. I learnt a lot about the game by reading posts here.. but yes, off late , I stopped because , and perhaps this is cultural, some posts were grating and in my point of view rude. But again, as I said , this is likely to be a cultural and linguistic thing. Stalwarts , who have been in from the outset are respected... not just for their knowledge, but their amazing ability to zero in on the problem and offer suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany Clarke View Post
    Since the negative vibes right now seem to stem from people feeling as though they either aren't being praised/appreciated enough or other people feeling that some members are being unfairly recognized, the obvious solution is to not emphasize the differences between members and to celebrate the ways in which we share commonalities. Why do we want as a forum to artificially create divisions? There is already a mechanism for recognizing forum members' longevity and contributions - the interview. Why do we need more than that?

The easiest solution to the problem is to get rid of any notion of bronze/gold/platinum members. Or, if people just have to have the badges for some reason, make the criteria for getting them extremely specific and measurable. For instance, Must have a minimum of 500 posts is a specific, measurable criteria. Must be positive and helpful is not. Define positive in a setting where often times we need to mention the negatives in order to make the game better. Helpful likewise can be applied in many different ways. We need specific criteria not nebulous ones.

My final suggestion for solutions to the problem is to make sure that no matter what "reward" system you decide to use, everyone has an equal chance of moving up the ranks to the highest level. Meaning, everyone can get a gold badge and then move up to getting a platinum badge, etc. There are no levels of recognition that people are blocked from if they want to work toward meeting the criteria. This ensures the forum is a fair and equitable place and not an environment where the "haves/elites" look down on and marginalize the "have-nots/regular/newer members.
    Well, 500 posts equals being a senior member, so then senior members have to be taken away, and that wouldn’t be good for them.

I would really like whatever software they are using to detect SPAM in posts and send them to moderation to be re-evaluated. I know months ago there was a big problem with spammers (I was not a registered member but viewed it as a guest and everyday would see all the spam posts with links to football games, etc). I completely understand wanting to flag posts for review before they make it to the board. But, I am getting really frustrated with all of my posts that are going to moderation.

I thought the problem was just that I was new, but Nevada said that shouldn't have anything to do with it. She warned me that posting links and using special formatting could make the chances higher that a post gets flagged, so I have been avoiding doing that as much as possible. Yet, it seems the majority of my posts require moderation. The mods are wonderful and my comments eventually get posted, but often many hours later and in the mean time, other people are adding to the discussion while I can only sit back and wait.

I don't use foul language. I try to be very respectful in posts. I don't understand why this keeps happening every day. If it was a rarity (less than 5-10% of the time), I'd understand. I haven't kept track exactly, but I would guess roughly half of my posts require mod approval. I'm waiting for one to show up in a co-op regatta thread right now.

I've never experienced anything like this in other forums I've participated in. It's very likely I will stop posting because of it. Is it happening to everyone or just me??
    Last edited by kitty4715; 03-11-2018 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typo

yep, just happened with my longish reply to you, kitty... went into Mod.queue. trying some workaround.

====

so, above sentence as short post posted and now edited, with adding the copy of my reply to you (below) - if I can save it in edit mode, the workaround works It never sent an edited post into the Mod.queue.
    So, this post is a good example for what I am telling you below (which was chronologically before).

I bet it is the length of a post (which you had sometimes, too, and which is NO fault!! ), apart from links and stuff.
    ====

Quote Originally Posted by kitty4715 View Post
    I've never experienced anything like this in other forums I've participated in. It's very likely I will stop posting because of it. Is it happening to everyone or just me??
    It would be very regrettable, if you stopped posting, kitty. I'd say it doesn't happen to everyone, or we would see more complaints here. But it also happened to me more often than in other fora. It could have to do with how they have set up checking here; I don't know much about it, but remember checks for "suspicious origins" (for spam, for example), be it server (IP addresses) or location. An Admin would have to check; I also remember Natalie had to do something for these strange "second group"-messages, which stopped ppl from posting.
    Anyway, some hints:
    As Nevada said, links and colours etc may be "dangerous", but you don't use that, as far as I see. Time could be a factor - and the length of your msg. I noticed it happens more often, when I need long to write down. Avoid that, if need be, write outside in a text editor.
    When you come here, refresh the page first, before hitting "send".
    Also, "Go Advanced" helped. From the GetGo or at least before sending.

And, main help, which Amoria told us:
    save your speech elsewhere (= post ) and send / save a very short reply. Like "work in progress", or just one sentence, whatever. It almost always goes through.
    Then go in Edit mode and add your whole post. If you prepared it outside, copy and paste makes it a fast edit.

And/or simply, BEFORE you hit "send/save", copy your post!!! so, when it goes into Mod.queue, you still have your text, and can publish it in steps (as described above). When the first post is "set free", come back and delete one of them.
    This has worked for me, and I hope some of it will help you.

It has also had the effect with these steps that it has become less with the Mod.queue for me. We don't know either, btw, whether there's a setting for "the more moderated posts someone has, the more the SW finds them suspicious".
    I know an Admin in a different forum hosted also by VBulletin, and she told me, there are quite good spam-restricting measures, so who knows...
    Good luck! would hate to lose you.

(copied before posting.... then Go Advanced ... use Preview, it might show warnings... then post ...JIC... *grinning* // for a long post like this I remember it meanwhile!)
    Last edited by _DD_; 03-12-2018 at 12:37 AM.

DD, thank you for the advice

I will try the "submit one sentence then edit and add longer message" method from now on and see if that helps. I did guess that length could be one of my problems, but alas, brevity has never been my strong suit.

Some of the things you mention, I am already doing (like copy/paste my longer comments so I still have the text). I have been hesitant to resubmit anything because I didn't want to clog up the thread with double posts that I'd have to delete later.

I do feel bad for whoever is having to approve all my posts LOL. One time I started a thread and it went to moderation. Nevada approved it, then I stupidly decided to edit the post to fix something and it went back to moderation for Nevada to approve again!

This new technique is going to take a little getting used to, but hopefully it will get me off the spambot's radar
    Last edited by kitty4715; 03-12-2018 at 01:02 AM.

Okay so I just woke up and it's a school day so I gotta consider waking the noises and getting them up and fed an all, but, your posts are all approved, have fun

I have spoken just a couple days ago with admin about maybe seeing if certain members can be "free'd" from the spam bot, so it is something we're aware of. I really appreciate the spam not being there because it saves me having to manually hunt down every love guide, horoscope, or sports link post, but it is annoying sometimes seeing the same names pop up in moderation, because "we" know they're fine and don't need to be there.

DD, that's a great work-around, thanks for posting that. The annoying thing is, no one should have to mess around copy/pasting posts and "testing" if they'll actually show up or not. That's no way to use a forum. I understand if you know you've written a particularly long post with several links you might wanna do all that because it's got "spam bots lunch" written all over it, but for every post? No.

I imagine this will be something along the lines of TS cheat bot, in that we won't ever actually know if vBulletin has the capacity to free people from the bot, but I'm hoping at some point people will be able to post in a more relaxed manner.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”I can hear you; but I won't.
    Some look for trouble while others don't.
    There's a thousand reasons I should go about my day,
    And ignore your whispers which I wish would go away, oh”

Thank you Nevada

Sadly, you might see one of those just-approved post back in your queue After I deleted it’s duplicate, the original also disappeared.

I remember how annoying it was as a visitor when the forum was being inundated with spam, so I’m sure it’s a nightmare for you as a mod having to track stuff down when it slips through.
    Last edited by kitty4715; 03-12-2018 at 07:58 AM.

You're not the only one Kitty. It's happened to me a couple of times recently. Both short posts - one where I was directing someone to the Wiki page about islands and ships (I was worried I'd accidentally written t rather than p!!), and the other I have absolutely no idea, only thing I can think of was that it wasn't in English, although that doesn't seem a very good reason.

Thank you Nevada

Sadly, you might see one of those just-approved post back in your queue After I deleted it’s duplicate, the original also disappeared.
    You are welcome, kitty, and just to add that this error of "everything keeps vanishing several times" did NOT ever happen to me. This spambot must have a special affinity for you. I just deleted my original post above, and the 2nd is still there.
    You mentioned this or another similar error also in the other thread, I think (where you tried to post a reply). If you want Nevada or an Admin follow up on it, I would recommend to give a more detailed description to them, maybe in PM, what happened when you did what exactly, clearer than "one of those".
    That must be very annoying; again, good luck!
    and thanks, Nevada, "as always" meanwhile

LOL, JJay, that would at least have been an understandable reason!
    (and the thing should also know the Wiki links by now! nonetheless, I always add links here only in edit mode in the 2nd go)
    Last edited by _DD_; 03-12-2018 at 12:36 PM.