Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: New Co-op League: Platinum League (Merged Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Jdelacr View Post
    I know you advocate for random but your plan involves a heavy hand from Playrix and not really that random. Isn't the system already relatively random or semi-random?
    Just wanted to add that my more complex plan ("Playrix determined random") is intended to simulate sufficently random matching. It relies upon an assortment of matching strategies that would be randomly implemented every week. Teams would be identified by their level of competitiveness (low, medium, high) and then different quantities of those kind of teams would get grouped together each race. Without access to Playrix's data I can only speculate, but my experience tells me they are already segregating teams (since we are currently ONLY getting matched every single race with other teams that do 16x135). In my plan, there is still some degree of player determination because the teams still only get added to a race when they pick up their first task. It does not pre-assign your specific competition. It simply provides a framework to help achieve a game balance that I think would better correllate race outcome and race performance.

That said, I would be perfectly happy having a completely "player determined" random where you simply get grouped with whatever teams start racing at the same time you do. The problem with this is that it can be manipulated to guarantee that your team isn't paired with another team. It was revealed a little while ago on the forum that many of the Top GLB teams were in communication with each other and would stagger their start times so that they wouldn't have to compete against each other. Ex: Team #1 picks up their first task...they get grouped with 14 other random teams. They tell Team #2 that their race is now full so it is safe for team #2 to start. People started complaining that "regular" teams shouldn't have to get paired with GLB teams and the GLB teams should start only racing against each other. Again, we can only speculate, but it was around the end of last year I think when people started seeing their racing matchups getting more and more competitive. As Dan and Andy have commented, there are now races where GLB teams are getting pitted against each other exclusively and demoted to silver. I DO think teams that want the bragging rights of the leaderboard should have to compete against each other. Which is why a separate league for them feels appropriate. It is just a shame that right now, teams with no GLB desires are getting the same crazy tough treatment as teams with GLB desires. They do their 16x135 for the competitive challenge, adrenaline rush, and sweet taste of victory. I do my 16x135 so that I can accumulate as many tokens as I can to add some decorations to my town that I can’t get any other way than racing.
    Last edited by kitty4715; 07-14-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitty4715 View Post
    Hi Jdelacr,

I hope I do not sound ungrateful with the following comments, but most of the chest rewards I receive are useless to me and many other players. Also, you say that the tasks are things I would “already [be] doing anyway,” but again, that is not in line with my experience. In fact, the strategies I need to use to optimize my regatta performance are often detrimental to the progression of my town. Most of the tasks I take are things I don’t really want to do, especially since the bulk of 135 point task we get on the board always skew very heavily to either the seasonal tasks, plane tasks, train tasks, or production tasks. For the past 24 hours, the entirety of my fields were taken over growing coffee beans because I had two combo tasks back to back that required growing them. I’ve clogged up factories making items I didn’t need, etc. I've held trains/planes that were ready to be sent off so I could have them at the ready in order to make quick progress on any plane/train task I might need to take. Don’t get me wrong – I know regattas are voluntary and I’m subjecting myself to this torture of my own free will. But it seems our team rarely ever sees any of the “fun” and easier tasks people like, such as HOL, feeding animals, zoo hot items, mining, helicopter orders. Doing tasks definitely feels like a chore most of the time.

Also, for me, my frustration really has nothing to do with the actual “perks” of Top 3 or remaining Gold. Is it nice to occasionally get a booster or some bonus Tcash for finishing 1st-3rd? Sure! But, that’s really not important. What bothers me is the principle. I just don’t understand why the 16x135 teams should have to face insane competition every week while the other teams get to have a more varied experience.

I really wish that I could speak from a point of authority, but I can only speak from my own experience, so please take this with a grain of salt…I had no idea what it was like to race in a 16x135 team until I started doing so in March. Previously, I had done 16x135 myself, but was in a different co-op that had no rules and participation ranged greatly. As I wrote above, sometime we were able to place in the Top 3. Often we placed 4th-7th. Occasionally we placed 8th-12th. The competition we faced each week did vary. You say that the races you are in can vary tremendously each week. I know of another gold league co-op with the same number of racers as us that requires 13 tasks @ 135 each week. They rarely get a perfect score, but they get relatively close. Last week, they scored 1400 points less than perfect, and they took 1stin their race. They also get a variety of competition and don’t always place in the Top 3, but I’ve been told it’s been quite a while since they felt in danger of demotion. That all sounds very reasonable to me since they are putting in more effort than most people.

Our experience (my current co-op) has been very different. There seems to be nothing we can do to avoid being grouped exclusively with teams that do 16x135 every race. We have tried starting right away, doing a very small delayed start, and attempting a longer delayed start. In all of those races, we were paired with 14 other teams that had tons of trophies, were super high ranked, and all started out doing 16x135 (and most finished with perfect scores). The only tiny benefit that the longer delayed start seemed to have was that the teams were at least taking 4-6 days to reach their perfect scores (vs the races where we started right away and 1stplace was done in 48 hours).

Playrix does not tell us how they currently match teams. Their FAQ only alludes to being matched by number of racers and entering the race when a player selects their first task. If they were simply putting teams in races based on when people started (the first 15 teams to enter with 9 racers get grouped together, then the next 15, then the next 15, etc), I’d be a happy camper. But I just can’t believe that is happening. If it is, we are having awful luck! Plus, when we have delayed, our races have taken hours to fill up with all the teams. In the most recently completed race, the 15thteam wasn’t added until 9 hours after we entered the race….are you going to tell me that within that nine hours, no other 9 member team started racing? The most logical explanation is that our competition is being “hand-picked” so to speak so that we are exclusively grouped with other teams with a track record of doing 16x135.

Let me be clear…I’m not saying we should NEVER face tough competition like that. I just think it’s unfair that is seems the 16x135 teams never get a break, while other teams that do way less work than we do get to enjoy a variety of racing competition. I want that experience too. Maybe one week, we can only get paired with 3 other teams doing 16x135, so the 4 of us battle it out for top 3. Then next race we are back to being with almost all other 16x135 teams and we place near the bottom. Then the next week we’re the only ones in the race doing 16x135. I want tough races and easy races and middling races. I want my competition to be more randomly assigned and not only 16x135 teams. Because we’ll never be able to score higher than them, only faster. And I have no desire to be a professional Township regatta racer. I do my 16x135 in order to acquire the most tokens, not land on the GLB.

As I said before, I never intended to post my idea for what I’d like to see in a new Platinum league and accompanying changes to Gold League. It was a rough draft of an idea that I had not yet had the time to scutinize, identify problems and possible solutions, etc. In another thread, I expressed the exact same sentiment you stated above…a new and equally imperfect system should not replace the current imperfect system. Any new system should offer improvements that the majority of players would benefit from/agree with. That’s a massive challenge, of course. IMO, a separate league where those with a strong, competitive drive voluntarily race against each other for leaderboard bragging rights does benefit the majority because more casual players won’t have to fear being crushed by these powerhouse teams. Then I'd want to see everyone remaining in gold league be grouped in races where the competition was more randomly assigned, so every team could experience a variety of race results: some you win, some you lose, some you just hang in there. Don’t other people want that too?
    I agree that the rewards could be improved and I have made a point before is to advocate for better rewards. I wonder what the TOP GLB team thinks about the rewards, after possible spending all that Tcash, and then getting some "nice sets of bricks." However, I'm getting a little off topic lol

I know that there plenty of what I called "crappy croppy" tasks where you have to plant a bunch of useless stuff. I personally would never take those tasks and keep hitting the dumping button until I find something to satisfy me. Kitty, you are in a relatively small Co-op so dumping tasks may be more annoying and the turnover of tasks may not be as fast as larger Co-ops, but I wouldn't settle for those crappy tasks that playrix expects us to do!

Your main source of frustration is that other Co-ops are coasting through gold so why doesn't your Co-op do what others groups might be doing? I mean like they say, if you can't beat them (in this case the regatta system), join them. Perhaps you can have to stop racing perfect, descend to silver, and come up back up to a less competitive golden league, at least for the time being. Not a perfect solution, but a solution nevertheless. I am thinking that the system assumes your Co-op wants to be on the GLB, hence the pairing you have experienced lately.

Playrix uses an algorithm to match coops and perhaps takes a few things in consideration, eg., co-op average player lv, etc. I am sorry your Coop is having such bad luck. Definitely, the pairing is not so random, like when everybody's planes and trains need strawberries. Perhaps if they revealed exactly how they do it, it would disturb game balance by coops truly being able to gain an unfair advantage.

I also think that playrix didn't intend to give players enough tokens to buy everything from the Yacht club. Pick the best stuff you like, type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    oh I understand, hchl. [............],but wish you much success
    (just don't go away, pls!)

Too cute, these emojis!
    Yes I hope you don't go away completely hchl. im new to the forum but really enjoy reading your posts and would miss them.
    Very cute emojis, lol.

I have had to repost this message, cause I accidently deleted ​my original post
    Last edited by Downton; 07-15-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Hi, guys!

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts and ideas! We'll definitely pass this interesting Regatta concept on to the dev team

Any ideas on how the rewards should differ? (except for the Global Top option, of course)

Regards,
    Anna

I’m not convinced GLB-focused racers would need further rewards to incentivise participation in an elite league, if that’s what you’re asking Anna.. as I said in my post, they wouldn’t actually be doing anything over and above what they do already. The status and current prize haul seem to be sufficient reward so far.

That said, if you felt like slipping them a booster or a little tcash for a top 3 win, that wouldn’t seem unreasonable to me. Those are the things of most value to teams like that, I would think.

Hi Anna, i agree with Bess, boosters &Tcash for top 3 in a platinum/elite league would probably be the most sought after types of rewards. The teams who would be interested in joining this kind of league are mainly driven by a desire to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Petrova View Post
    Hi, guys!

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts and ideas! We'll definitely pass this interesting Regatta concept on to the dev team

Any ideas on how the rewards should differ? (except for the Global Top option, of course)

Regards,
    Anna
    Hi Anna. Thanks for passing this thread on to the developers. If you are asking what rewards the GLB-focused platinum league might award, I said in another thread that the people aiming for the letterboard are often interested in the “bragging rights” of being the best. So I would suggest creating things that would allow these teams to “visually brag” about their Platinum status, like a “Platinum Sail” trophy for the town (new version of the Golden Sail trophy) and/or special profile avatar that can be unlocked in Platinum league, and/or special co-op badge icons/frame that could be unlocked in Platinum league. And then of course like others said, boosters and Tcash as top 3 prizes is nice (just like we already get for Top 3 in the current leagues).

I know that there plenty of what I called "crappy croppy" tasks where you have to plant a bunch of useless stuff. I personally would never take those tasks and keep hitting the dumping button until I find something to satisfy me. Kitty, you are in a relatively small Co-op so dumping tasks may be more annoying and the turnover of tasks may not be as fast as larger Co-ops, but I wouldn't settle for those crappy tasks that playrix expects us to do!
    We do dump a lot of tasks, including 135 Send 4 Planes tasks; 135 Grow Silk, Rubber, Cacao, Coffee Beans, or Peppers; certain 135 production tasks no ones usually wants or has prepped like Make 12 Donuts or Make 15 tacos. We’ve already dumped 1648 tasks this race. My coffee beans were apart of a combo task, and we will never dump a combo task. Majority of our co-op members are tokens focused, so the 20 token combos are way too valuable to be dumped, even if they require growing silk. Deciding what 135s to dump and which to keep is very tough these days when the 135s are so limited. There has to be a balance. We can’t just dump everything that doesn’t appeal to us because then the board will never have any tasks on it. During the last season when the coin task was available, it was almost the only task that would ever appear on our board. We were all totally drained from doing so many of them, and we routinely dump them when they appeared only to have another coin task refresh. Dumped that one and again, another coin task refreshed. Eventually, you just have to give up and take what you can get.

….why doesn't your Co-op do what others groups might be doing? I mean like they say, if you can't beat them (in this case the regatta system), join them. Perhaps you can have to stop racing perfect, descend to silver, and come up back up to a less competitive golden league, at least for the time being. Not a perfect solution, but a solution nevertheless.
    We may get demoted this week. If we do, I hope it provides a tiny bit of relief. But it’s scary because we have no idea if it will. When we started the co-op and had to work our way up from Wooden to Gold, we had really tough races in Steel and Silver leauge! We almost didn’t make it out of steel in one week because there were 4 teams in the race doing 16x135, so Top 3 came down to speed (luckily, we managed third). There are GLB-level teams getting demoted now because of the pairings, so if we do end up in Silver next week, I have a real fear of still being grouped with several 16x135 teams and struggling to place in Top 3 and get back to Gold. There’s also the idea of adding a couple members to our team that only do 12-13 tasks each week with the hopes that scoring near 1,000 points under perfect will get us out of the exclusively 16x135 races. But this idea is even scarier because we have no idea if it will work. How far under perfect do we aim for? We don’t see other team’s races or race history so that we could look at their scores and competition and model ourselves after them. Nor do we know if getting demoted or scoring less than perfect is actually going to do anything to change our competition. Because of our history of 16x135, for all we know we’ve been marked as a GLB team and it could take weeks or months to escape that classification when being matched in races. If I only had myself to worry about, I could make peace with bouncing between silver and gold for the next few months. But I have 9 other teammates to consider.

Anyway, thanks Jdelacr for indulging me while I shared my frustrations. This will be my last post on the topic. I’m afraid others reading this thread are starting to see me as someone who is simply whining because my team isn’t getting an easy win every week, and that is not a point of view that I ever intended to imply nor wish to continue to perpetuate.
    Last edited by kitty4715; 07-15-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downton View Post
    Hi Anna, i agree with Bess, boosters &Tcash for top 3 in a platinum/elite league would probably be the most sought after types of rewards. The teams who would be interested in joining this kind of league are mainly driven by a desire to be the best.
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Donaldson View Post
    I agree!
    Consensus is a beautiful thing

Just to point out Kittys point...

I know there's an hour or so still to go, but this is our play for this week:

9165C890-0A29-4ED6-891A-1821A061D3A8.jpg

7ECDD47A-A3F5-4AAA-9BD4-2B04C12E95D6.jpg

It is nice that those that don't want to/can't regatta 24/7 still get the opportunity to get gold league (I don't care about position, I just want my yacht club decorations), but I can definitely see/understand why this is a huge thorn in the side of the 16x135ers.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township moderator, I only have power to maintain its forum.
    - Township Support.
    - Before posting a question, please make use of:
    Township Wiki,
    • the stickies on top of each sub-forum,
    • the search function to see previous posts.

”So fly away on a bright new morning,
    Spread your wings and soar to the skies,
    Let softest winds take you on your journey,
    And we will know that you are home.”