Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Co op size disadvantages in the regattas

Co op size disadvantages in the regattas

Congrats to all those crazy amazing scores on the golden league leaderboard! I know that the forum has noted the advantages of the 1 player co op and I was hoping to expand on that a little and provide reasons why I believe this is hurting the social aspect to the game.

The obvious advantage is that getting one person to complete all their tasks week in and week out is much simpler than orchestrating 20-30 players and their schedules. The obvious answer as many successful townshippers(yep I am making up words now) have implemented is to form a co op of one. The only lost benefit is the ability to request items in chat. Yet even this could be exploited by having other members join your co op after the start of the regatta each week or having others chose not to race. I noted one high scoring single person co op recruiting members after a regatta start only to kick them and start the whole process over the following week.

The second advantage is that the single player co op is able to plan their tasks further out. 30 players choosing from 12 tasks is so much more difficult to prepare for than a single player lining up supplies for the 12 tasks set before them. Even the difference from 10-30 players lowers the number of tasks available at any given time during a race. Fewer choices means more difficulty.

So the advantages are clear. The point of a co op either in a game or otherwise is to use your numbers to make accomplishing a goal easier. In real life a housing co op is able to maintain a building by sharing tasks and splitting up keep costs. Farming and food co ops are able to share large quantities of food to save money. The advantages of going it alone are in contradiction with the definition of a cooperative.

The other lasting affect will in the end be felt by playrix. It is common for freemium game players to spend greater amounts of real money when they approach a goal. Having 200 single player co ops on the regatta leaderboard means fewer competitive players tempted to purchase t cash than having 200 30 player co ops. The studies of freemium games also show that people play more often and spend more money when there is social interaction in the game. Not only do I want to check on my town, I want to visit my friends!

I have a few solutions to these problems. Such as adding more tasks to the list the larger your co op is, not having a time delay when a task is selected only when it is dropped, and maybe only opening regattas to co ops of 5 or more players. Or maybe playrix can adjust the leaderboard point system to deal with these issues. Either way, it seems like an issue that will need to be addressed in one way or another if playrix wants to keep the attention of as many players as possible.
    Jessie

Town: Jville
    Level: 44
    Zoo Level: 6
    Co op: Smooth Sailing, 3 1st place regatta finishes

Hi Jessie

Thank you for a very interesting post.

I second your idea of a taken task should be replaced immediately. And I really like your idea of a minimum of 5 players to participate in a regata. This would imply real team work, exactly what a coop should be.
    Graylady, Forum member since may 2014 --- I am just a player, not a Playrix staff
    Playing on Android, not on Facebook
    Township level 202, Zoo 188 animals, --- Fishdom stop at 1518 --- Homescape stop at 650

Please read this important post by Playrix about Township : Wishes/requests already rejected by Playrix

Ty Graylady! Overall playrix is obviously skilled at grabbing our attention and getting us addicted lol! I am sure they will use those skills of theirs to perfect the new aspects of the game
    Jessie

What prizes do those on the top of the leaderboard get?

All that I am aware of is some serious bragging rights
    Jessie

I like all the ideas suggested here. One other idea, instead of dividing the coops total score by the number of racers participating, I would suggest dividing the total score by the number of participates plus one. Doing this would reduce a 30 member Regatta's score by 3.3%, a 25 member Regaata's score by 4%, a 20 member score by 5%, ect. Finally a 1 member Regatta's score would be reduced by 50%.
    Last edited by Dan Donaldson; 08-17-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Donaldson View Post
    I like all the ideas suggested here. One other idea, instead of dividing the coops total score by the number of racers participating, I would suggest dividing the total score by the number of participates plus one. Doing this would reduce a 30 member Regatta's score by 3.3%, a 25 member Regaata's score by 4%, a 20 member score by 5%, ect. Finally a 1 member Regatta's score would be reduced by 50%.
    I like it!
    Jessie

Jessie,

Thank you so much for your eloquent post summarizing the many issues generated by trying to race with a large coop! I have been saying the same things (ranting on and on) within my coop about how unfair it is to give a "structural" advantage to tiny coops. This cannot be overcome by any method we have tried so far. It's a logistical nightmare to get a great selection of 135 point tasks for 30 members each needing 15 or 16 tasks, and to get all that done in a 6 day period! There aren't enough quick tasks to go around. The board doesn't refresh fast enough so many many people are always waiting to pick, rather than working on their task.

It's incredibly unfair that a single person coop gets to choose from 12 tasks that will never go away, so they can plan their entire week. A person in a large coop can barely get a high point task at all, much less the one they want! It's horrible to have 8 wallpaper clogging up your factory for days on end, but never be able to grab the wallpaper task because 29 other members can grab it first!

I was angry and surprised when I saw the Golden Leader board with all the one man coops at the very top. My large team could not have worked harder!!! I had assumed we would do well, so we were very disappointed! We had issues that small coops would never have like several players that signed up to race (or more accurately were not online often enough to realize there even WAS a race) but then never logged in that week and scored no points at all for us. I call it "dragging dead bodies behind the boat". Once you realize they are dead, you can cut the line, but you can never get back those lost points that they could have earned if they were active. There is no way to reach them and no way to set their status to Not Racing. I know from experience that even if every other member in your coop buys the extra task, it is NOT enough to compensate for the points lost dragging a dead man in a very tight competition! We were unable to win first place two times because of the unsolved dead man problem!

So these are a few more examples, in my own words, of why something needs to be done to reconfigure the regatta results and scoring to even out the advantage small coops get and the HUGE scoring disadvantage of the big coops. As others have predicted, coops will disband because of the single person coop advantage in the regatta. Rather than working together, members are fighting and leaving their coops. So Playrix, your new endless event is destroying what you were trying to create due to infighting over the appropriate level of competitiveness, battles over desired tasks and task deletions, exhausted elders having to watch the board in 8 hour shifts to delete all low value tasks, members getting kicked out just because they didn't play for a week (and therefore became an unacceptable dead body burden to the others)..... I could go on..... and on!!!! We have faced, and attempted to solve, some of the above listed issues, but it has been a serious burden for a leader to deal with!!

The Regatta has become an endless source of problems rather than a fun activity of kicking back and enjoying the sea breeze! It's especially difficult and unfair that coops were originally formed based on friendship and level didn't matter and now they need to be competitive at tasks which requires completely different membership criteria! Coops who "just want to have fun" will never be competitive in the regatta and fiercely competitive coops who happen to be large, will also have a very difficult time!
    Last edited by Georgia Lundgren; 08-18-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: I have so much to say on this topic!
    Georgia Lundgren, Co-Leader of Smooth Waters
    ADD me on Facebook, easily reached via FB Messenger

Jessie, Georgia, excellent posts. You both have clearly stated the problems a lot of us are dealing with. Our co-op is has 28 members and it's becoming that "boat anchors" (our phrase for you "dead bodies") drag the team down, both competitively in the race but also in sapping the energy from the team. Quick action can help the team get back to concentrating on the race but since you are matched up against other teams of equal size, you remain at a disadvantage.

Intra-team competitiveness can be a good thing, spurring others to take on harder tasks and achieving higher scores but it can also have a downside effect when the "rabbits" sit and watch the task board waiting to pounce on the high point, quick turnover tasks.

If we can convince Playrix to fix just one thing, I would pick the refresh rate on the regatta task list. There are only 12 tasks available at any one time. When someone takes one, there is a 30 minute wait. Why, oh why does this not work like the Helicopter orders, a new task should refresh almost immediately. Or, like the recent animal relay races, the next order takes just 60 seconds to appear. Why doesn't the regatta task window work the same way?

I understand that if I cancel a helicopter order, or a animal race order, there should be a longer delay. I understand why the same would apply if we dump a task from the task list. But the way it is now, with every action of the task list requiring a 30 minute wait, you end up with exactly the situation where people sit, watching the task list, and have 10-15 all trying to hit that single 135 Point HOL task at the same time. You're going to get some frustrated and angry people.

Please reduce the refresh delay when "Starting" as task to 0 (like Helicopter orders) or 60 seconds (like animal races). 30 Minutes is killing the fun.

Charlie

In addition to better refresh rates, the number of task slots should be in proportion to the size of the team. Maybe something like a base of 5 with 1 additional slot for every 2 racers.

For instance, A team of 1 has 5 slots. A team of 30 has 20. Still gives the single man an edge over the large groups, but if it's really all about bragging rights being on the leaderboard, then there should either be separate leaderboards, or they rework their algorithm for calculating leaderboard position.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the leaderboard. I just want the prizes for winning races. I'm a material kinda gal.