Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Regatta Tasks

Oh man! Yes cap for the whole regatta and let people do multiple tasks at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Calita61 View Post
    They should set the default setting for the regatta to 'not racing'. Then if the player is active, they can change it to racing. That way, a 30 member coop with only 12 people racing would be racing against other 12 person coops (assuming they were all racing). As it is now, there are 30 member coops with all members participating against 30 member coops with only partial participating. People have real lives ...at least some do lol...so should not be expected to always play.

One of the reasons i fell in love with this game is the fact if i didnt log in for a few days, nothing is affected, ie: my animals dont starve, my plants dont die, etc.
    Very good point. I think those who don't want to play but join the regatta any way make it harder for those of us who do want to play. So I think apart from programming the solution it for those inactive members to make sure they've set the game to not participate. This is a better answer for those who play but are struggling / busy with real life, than simply kicking people out of co-ops. Very good point!
    Level: 141
    Zoo Level: completed

LOVE my pandas and tigers!

I agree that the racing default being set to racing is a lot of the problem in evening up racing teams. As long as the default is set this way, there's no real way for there to be a fair race most of the time for players. I'm guessing very few co-ops have a full 30 people racing every week. The rest of them are a percentage of people racing and people not racing, but they are possibly matched up with a group that is 30 people racing or a number racing that is more than they are, so these type groups don't really have a chance.
    Town: Cedar Spring
    Town Level: 115
    City Building Project: Computer Store
    Zoo Level: 38
    New Attraction: Visit the Walruses in our We the North exhibit!
    Forum Member: December 2015

My inner nerd says: Logistically, you have to originally set the default to "Racing" because co-ops existed before Regattas so nobody would have participated in the very first. However, now that the initial case is over, the default for joining a co-op should be "Not Participating" and new members need to explicitly enable racing. This seems reasonable because if you join a co-op while a race is in progress you cannot participate. There is only a small window (the 'day of rest') when you can join and then start the next regatta. I don't think it's too much of a burden to have to enable participation after joining.

Now what to do about members that were part of the original co-op but aren't really racing. I think it would be reasonable for the "Participate in Regattas" flag to reset each Regatta. That is if a person participating in the Regatta but scored 0 regatta points, they would have their participate flag cleared and would have to re-enable it explicitly. This would have folks who didn't really participate for whatever reasons automatically drop out.

The problem with inactive players is that there's no real way to contact them to ask them if they want to race or ask them to clear the flag. It's worse with inactive leaders since you can't even take preemptive action to remove someone from the co-op (if you are so inclined to do that). This is the case with our co-op, 23 active players, 6 inactive including the Leader and no designated Co-Leaders.

I have no idea how feasible it is to do this as "participate" is in a players settings and may need to have the app actually run to change anything. And, having the app run means the player is "online". Anyway, I regress in "implementation details" in which I'm only speculating.

Suffice it to say that I think that your previous (non-)participation in a regatta should automatically have you sit out the next one unless you take explicit action to re-enable your participation.

I soo agree with you, I am the leader of my co-op and I can't even buy any more tasks to pull ahead and we are in second place right now with several of my people still being able to play but the other two groups in first and third keep pulling ahead more and more and meanwhile I (who could keep earning more points for us) can't do a friggen thing about it but just sit by and watch and get more pi-----!
    I MEAN WT everloving F kind of competition is this stinking regatta supposed to be if you can't even buy any more tasks?????😡😤

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal SportsMom Skinner View Post
    Concerning the tasks for the new regatta edition of township, I wish that we had the option to do more than one set amount. Not every member of a co-op (mine is an example) are willing to participant, so with only allowing a set amount of task for each member with only one option to purchase one extra task, causes the co-op as a whole to be limited to racing only so far. Which then isn't fair for those members the co-op who worked hard. The same would also apply to those co-ops who have only a few members overall. My suggestion would be enable members to do an unlimited number of tasks per regatta, so that it would give co-ops away to race competitively with other co-ops, without keeping co-ops with a smaller membership or nonparticipating players a limit of racing only a small distance, having no chance to get farther along.
    I soo agree with you, I am the leader of my co-op and I can't even buy any more tasks to pull ahead and we are in second place right now with several of my people still being able to play but the other two groups in first and third keep pulling ahead more and more and meanwhile I (who could keep earning more points for us) can't do a friggen thing about it but just sit by and watch and get more pi-----!
    I MEAN WT everloving F kind of competition is this stinking regatta supposed to be if you can't even buy any more tasks?????😡😤

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany Clarke View Post
    I agree that the racing default being set to racing is a lot of the problem in evening up racing teams. As long as the default is set this way, there's no real way for there to be a fair race most of the time for players. I'm guessing very few co-ops have a full 30 people racing every week. The rest of them are a percentage of people racing and people not racing, but they are possibly matched up with a group that is 30 people racing or a number racing that is more than they are, so these type groups don't really have a chance.
    Yes, that's just it. Our co-op might have 30 members but not all racing and those of us contributing to the regatta are working hard but at the same time it doesn't seem completely fair to toss out other co-op members who aren't competing for valid reasons or who are lower level members. But it would be nice if things were fairer for those of us who are working very hard.
    Level: 141
    Zoo Level: completed

LOVE my pandas and tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Anita Horst View Post
    I MEAN WT everloving F kind of competition is this stinking regatta supposed to be if you can't even buy any more tasks?????������������
    Hi Anita,
    Is your co-op full? I've been working with the leaders of my co-op but we have 19 inactive players!! 19/30!! I am at the point where I'd like them to be kicked out as I even bought 1 more task and we are still falling into 4th. We were in 1st because of the 11 going full out but now we're all out of tasks and are watching as we slip further and further behind and can't do anything about it. So frustrating!!!
    BTW - by inactive I mean they have 0 helps and 0 Regatta points.
    So I'm thinking about leaving my co-op after this race if they haven't kicked out the deadbeats. Maybe I could join yours? I play every day or multiple times per day. I am at level 47, but am looking to increase my level. I always look to help others out when I have the materials.

I also agree that if there needs to be a cap on number of tasks, it should be on the whole team, not individuals. I also hate that after I've completed a task the other tasks are refreshed.
    I also play [another unmentioned game] with a similar competition aspect and they keep your task list so that while you are working on completing one, you can plan for the others.
    So applying this to Township, for instance: Let's say two tasks listed are harvesting 80 rubber trees and building 10 toy trucks. You can start planning ahead and select the harvesting rubber trees first, and after they've been harvested, can start being processed at the plastics factory for the components you need for the toy trucks. That way, you are already starting to process toy trucks when the rubber tree task is completed.
    This would go a long way if we weren't capped on tasks, and if tasks weren't always regenerated after you complete them!
    How do we get the devs to see this Thread and consider it?
    Also, when I bought a task for T-10 I felt so ripped off to see that it only bought me one task and that I couldn't buy more even if I could afford it!!

Excellent Points

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    My inner nerd says: Logistically, you have to originally set the default to "Racing" because co-ops existed before Regattas so nobody would have participated in the very first. However, now that the initial case is over, the default for joining a co-op should be "Not Participating" and new members need to explicitly enable racing. This seems reasonable because if you join a co-op while a race is in progress you cannot participate. There is only a small window (the 'day of rest') when you can join and then start the next regatta. I don't think it's too much of a burden to have to enable participation after joining.

Now what to do about members that were part of the original co-op but aren't really racing. I think it would be reasonable for the "Participate in Regattas" flag to reset each Regatta. That is if a person participating in the Regatta but scored 0 regatta points, they would have their participate flag cleared and would have to re-enable it explicitly. This would have folks who didn't really participate for whatever reasons automatically drop out.

The problem with inactive players is that there's no real way to contact them to ask them if they want to race or ask them to clear the flag. It's worse with inactive leaders since you can't even take preemptive action to remove someone from the co-op (if you are so inclined to do that). This is the case with our co-op, 23 active players, 6 inactive including the Leader and no designated Co-Leaders.

I have no idea how feasible it is to do this as "participate" is in a players settings and may need to have the app actually run to change anything. And, having the app run means the player is "online". Anyway, I regress in "implementation details" in which I'm only speculating.

Suffice it to say that I think that your previous (non-)participation in a regatta should automatically have you sit out the next one unless you take explicit action to re-enable your participation.
    A 0 score in regatta flipping a switch that marks that player as non-participating in next regatta is a brilliant suggestion for at least 2 reasons that I can think of:
    1. It saves co-op leaders from the awkward task of booting 0 score members and
    2. It might serve to alert inactive players that they are missing the boat so to speak.

Regattas are new, so it's not surprising that they are not on everyone's radar yet. But I have booted 1 zero score member so far and am about to boot 2 more before the upcoming regatta. Keeping them on board seems unfair to the members who are racing through their tasks, since teams are matched by number of co-op members.