Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elders & Co-Leaders

Elders & Co-Leaders

What are the roles for the elders and co leaders?

From Co-op Wiki page:

A co-op can have 30 members, each of which has one of the following ranks:

LEADER: Person who created the co-op and can change its settings. The leader can invite new members to the co-op, promote and demote them, and promote another member to the position of Co-Leader or another Leader to take over. If the leader leaves the co-op without promoting a replacement, the position will be assumed by the player with the highest rank in the co-op or has been a member of the co-op the longest.

CO-LEADER: Members that help their Leaders, as only Leaders and Co-Leaders can promote members to this position. While they can do almost everything Leaders can, Co-Leaders aren't allowed to demote or kick the Leader.

ELDER: Members that can invite other players and accept or decline requests to join the co-op. Leaders and Elders are in charge of deciding who will be in the co-op and monitoring the chat.

MEMBER: These are the rank-and-file players, and they can request and donate products and interact in the chat. Members can be promoted (they just have to ask the Leaders or Co-Leaders to do it for them).

Plus, Leaders, Co-leaders and Elders can dump regatta tasks from the board without having to start them.

Technical distinctions are explained above: non-members can dump tasks and higher ranks can kick lower ranks.
    In a good coop co-leaders and leader form the collective leadership: they have some common understanding of coop strategy, search for new members, educate newbees how to play and generally act like coop's engine. Elders are more or less just candidates for co-leaders.
    In bad coops co-leader rank is just a guarantee from one co-leader going wild and kicking everyone. Avoid coops where everyone is a co-leader.

P.S. Some of them may be good coops still.

Co-ops with multiple co-leaders

Quote Originally Posted by Stan0 View Post
    Technical distinctions are explained above: non-members can dump tasks and higher ranks can kick lower ranks.
    In a good coop co-leaders and leader form the collective leadership: they have some common understanding of coop strategy, search for new members, educate newbees how to play and generally act like coop's engine. Elders are more or less just candidates for co-leaders.
    In bad coops co-leader rank is just a guarantee from one co-leader going wild and kicking everyone. Avoid coops where everyone is a co-leader.

I've been in a co-op with multiple co-leaders, each with different thoughts about how the co-op should be run. As a mere member (elevated to 'Elder' in no time at all) I found the experience quite worrying, thinking about pleasing several co-leaders (all with differing opinions) was not good news, so I left. Therefore, I think you recommendation is worth voicing.
    Last edited by Eliza400000; 10-13-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Unfinished

Quote Originally Posted by Stan0 View Post

Errr, no. Only the leader can kick co-leaders, so if everybody is co, everybody is safe.

I avoid co-ops that are precious about giving elder and keep most of their members at "member" status. Not maximising the number of people that dump low tasks during regatta is a bad strategy (exeption would be top GLB co-op which is using some special secret dumping strategy. But there aren't many of those...)

It must be a coop in top 50, where every member is equally competent to dump tasks. In vast majority (90%) of coops there are players who should not be trusted with the dump button.

I guess these roles are different in every coop. Personally I prefer coops where these titles really don’t mean that much; as long as everyone knows the rules/strategy the points are after all equal if you’re member or leader..

I'd add one more leader requirement: the ability to say No. Hopefully pleasantly, but definitely firmly. I asked my coop for volunteers who wanted to watch and dump tasks according to coop policy (which I laid out in detail in our FB group) and co-leaders who would be willing to take over if anything happened to me (not only is my health iffy but at least twice I thought I was going to lose the game because an update wouldn't finish so I couldn't play for several days). Only a couple people volunteered for either role. Which is okay, that is enough to dump tasks and keep the coop going if I wasn't there, but even those people don't jump in when a new player wants to do something that we don't do. (Hope that didn't sound like a criticism because I didn't mean it as such, just a recognition that not everyone wants the responsibility. This is a game, after all, we can avoid the parts that aren't fun.)

I picked my coleaders by choosing people whose opinions i respect. Ultimately the decisions are mine but its nice to have others to discuss strategies with. I have 4 coleaders, all in different time zones. That way if an issue comes us, usually one if us is around. Everyone else is an elder after their first week of racing with us.

Myself and a co-leader, the rest are elders and we have a two week "feeling out" for new members before promotion. I started the co-op and set its course. My co-leader is my backup and we discuss all facets of play. My lifestyle makes it easy to play anytime i want and usually it runs itself. We all help new players and do our best to make them comfortable in our lil part of the game. Rock n roll, no worries