Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: DOWN SOUTH: The Butchering of the English Language

Y’all are making me hungry with this grits talk lol. I’m bout to go fix me some grits
    Township name: Maddieopolis
    Co-op Name: Competitive Cohorts
    Co-op Tag: # CMZCWD (lvl 50+ By Request)
    Township Level: 64
    Zoo Level: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Junction View Post
    Prefer Jiffy but fried cornbread is a close second, especially with "booger gravy".
    Rofl...I’m from the Deep South and I’ve never had the opportunity to eat booger gravy...thank goodness!! Lol
    Township name: Maddieopolis
    Co-op Name: Competitive Cohorts
    Co-op Tag: # CMZCWD (lvl 50+ By Request)
    Township Level: 64
    Zoo Level: 13

Y'all have way different accents, for sure.

However. I lay down the challenge for any one of y'all to come over here, and listen to a conversation between a Cockney (true London-born) and a Geordie (Newcastle area), and follow along (Brits, amirite?).
    That right there's some true English butchery 😂
    For anyone confused... Geordies are impossible to understand for anyone outside Geordie-land, and Cockneys are the "apples and pears is the real name for stairs" gang.

Of course, us English think you Americans can't speak English anyways (pants are for wearing UNDER YOUR TROUSERS, and and for goodness sake stop hiding our "u"s!!!), so there's that...

The southern drawl makes me giggle, and the right up almost-Canadian north make me laugh. The only American accent I've come across that I really don't like is the whole Boston-area, sounds-like-a-snot-filled-nose, sorta sound... like, how do you guys even manage to fit a w into "coffee"? Cworfee... cuppa cawfee... what?

(Disclaimer: my fiancé is American, and our little girl has dual citizenship, so I'm allowed to judge, lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    Of course, us English think you Americans can't speak English anyways (pants are for wearing UNDER YOUR TROUSERS, and and for goodness sake stop hiding our "u"s!!!), so there's that... (Disclaimer: my fiancé is American, and our little girl has dual citizenship, so I'm allowed to judge, lol).
    LOL Nevada, yea... I will give you another good one. In the South, Shagging is a very popular dance, not only at our beaches, but there are also many clubs (dancing establishments) (my 82 year old mom is a great shagger ). Your guys definition of "shagging" is something entirely different, if y'all had "clubs" using that word, I would have to forbid my mom from going (lol) . You guys let me know when you are ready for another story.
    Last edited by Sweetness123; 01-02-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    Town: RYAN'S HOPE / Level: 161
    Co-Op: SOS: SAILING ON SOLO / Tag: #SSYJYK / Friend's Code: HT9EQS (Full, but will keep you on Pending List)
    Platform: IOS / Playing April 2016 / Former Member of the Spending Suckers Club, Current Member in Bonkers Club
    Fishdom: 1,533 / Gardenscapes: 1,769

Uh... yeah, don't be shagging in our clubs, that'll get you at best thrown out, and at worst a stint in a prison cell right quick, lol

On the other hand, over here, to "spark up a fag" means to light a cigarette.

I believe that's not-so-much the case across the pond (although the word "fag" can be used for the same tasteless derogatory name calling).

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
    On the other hand, over here, to "spark up a fag" means to light a cigarette.

I believe that's not-so-much the case across the pond (although the word "fag" can be used for the same tasteless derogatory name calling).
    Across the pond (lol)... Y'all call us "yanks too" right? We use that term for anyone who lives up North. My mom was from Detroit, MI, so she was considered a Yankee, and us Southerns are rumored to marry our cousins, after all, the blood starts thinning around a 3rd cousin . Smoking is almost a crime now (it's ridiculous), as long as smoke is not blown in my face, I say to each its own, but we refer to it as, "got to go burn one..." Anyway, too funny. I find overall we are all much a like in the end, we are people trying to make their way in this life , take care, great New Year to all you "Brits," tell the queen I said hello, would love to visit. My son is a huge Harry Kane fan and he is saving up to catch a game across the pond.
    Town: RYAN'S HOPE / Level: 161
    Co-Op: SOS: SAILING ON SOLO / Tag: #SSYJYK / Friend's Code: HT9EQS (Full, but will keep you on Pending List)
    Platform: IOS / Playing April 2016 / Former Member of the Spending Suckers Club, Current Member in Bonkers Club
    Fishdom: 1,533 / Gardenscapes: 1,769