Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DOWN SOUTH: The Butchering of the English Language

DOWN SOUTH: The Butchering of the English Language

Down South we have came up with our on version of the English Language. No, it's not a new language, it's just proper English "gone bad" by our Southern drawl, lack of saying the entire word, or just the overall butchering of the original word. This is perplexing right? As we are known for our "laid back ways," and most people view us lounging around our above ground pools, drinking beer, and talking about things like, "whatever happened to that Honey Boo Boo kid" (Honey Boo Boo is definitely an inside Southern joke). But apparently, with all this extra time we have on our hands, we still can't find the time to speak correct English or use full sentences.

An example of what I am talking about, would be like using the sentence, "you know, it's over there beside the refrigerator." Down South, you will hear that sentence spoken this way, "Y'all know its over yonder by that frigi-der." Now one of the first things you learn growing up down South is how to decipher what people are trying to say, so when my dad would ask me to get him the "Vang-a-der," I went and got him the vinegar (down South we use this to rub our arthritic parts, believe it or not, it actually works if you can take the smell). When he asked me about my trip to "Caro-veils," I told him all about "Carowinds Amusement Park in North Carolina." One time, on my way to the store, I asked him if he needed anything, he said, "yea, bring me back some "scal-po." So I picked him up some Scalpicin.

I have an aunt I call every Saturday, who informs me that "Cotton-Tail" toilet paper was on sale again this week at The Food Lion Grocery Store (Definition of Cotton-Tail: Cottenelle Bath Tissue), and apparently there will be a "shortage" one day, because she buys it every week and stuffs it under her guest bed. If I ever run out, I know who to go visit.

Well, I am going to tell "y'all" (Definition: You all) the truth now. We really do know how to speak. You should hear us during a job interview, introducing ourselves to the new neighbors (after all, they could be from up North right?), speaking like we all have a Masters in English. Really it's just our way to confuse everyone else, kind of like us "eating grits," which has seemed to bewilder the North, West, Upper East Coast, and the rest of the world for years...
    Town: RYAN'S HOPE / Level: 161
    Co-Op: SOS: SAILING ON SOLO / Tag: #SSYJYK / Friend's Code: HT9EQS (Full, but will keep you on Pending List)
    Platform: IOS / Playing April 2016 / Former Member of the Spending Suckers Club, Current Member in Bonkers Club
    Fishdom: 1,533 / Gardenscapes: 1,769

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness123 View Post
    You should hear us during a job interview, introducing ourselves to the new neighbors ...
    ... or posting on a forum, after someone mentioned that our version of the english language is hard to understand...
    ...speaking like we all have a Masters in English.
    I must say, i'm glad i can understand you now
    I love when people start speaking gibberish to eachother, and the other people know exactly what was said. But this works better in spoken language than writing.

Now can you clarify something, for the non-US readers, what exactly does "down south" and "up north" means? Is it specific to a state (Texas?), or a wider geographical region?
    Don't know why, but when i hear "down south" i imagine people dressed like cowboys saying "i reckon" a lot :-))

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
    ... or posting on a forum, after someone mentioned that our version of the english language is hard to understand...

I must say, i'm glad i can understand you now
    I love when people start speaking gibberish to eachother, and the other people know exactly what was said. But this works better in spoken language than writing.

Now can you clarify something, for the non-US readers, what exactly does "down south" and "up north" means? Is it specific to a state (Texas?), or a wider geographical region?
    Don't know why, but when i hear "down south" i imagine people dressed like cowboys saying "i reckon" a lot :-))
    Here in the USA, you are either from up North (upper part of the USA), like my mom is from Detroit, Michigan - that's way up north, or down South (bottom parts of the USA). Though there are some cowboys here, most of them live in the mid-west areas. In Texas too of course. However, we do use the phrase "I reckon" a lot here too. I do have some cowboy boots, but no horse (lol). I appreciate you guys correcting me, because I think it is very important to remember that people from all over the world play this game. The good news is though, we get so used to posting to each other, it's like everyone is all in one place together, right in our own back yard, so you can't beat that thought, and the wonderful way Township has brought us all together.

PS: But the further you go west (lower part of USA), you will not find any "grits" -- they serve rice or potatoes, even in Texas or at least that was my experience there. I also love Denver, Colorado (which would be Upper North West Coast). They got a "kick" (Definition: Found me Funny) out of me, cause of my Southern accent.
    Last edited by Sweetness123; 10-13-2017 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Added PS
    Co-Op: SOS: SAILING ON SOLO / Tag: #SSYJYK / Friend's Code: HT9EQS (Full, but will keep you on Pending List)
    Platform: IOS / Playing April 2016 / Former Member of the Spending Suckers Club, Current Member in Bonkers Club

....Don't know why, but when i hear "down south" i imagine people dressed like cowboys saying "i reckon" a lot :-))
    That would be "Out West" And "Down East" is something entirely different

Quote Originally Posted by cdosr View Post
    Ah, the elusive "out" direction.. I wonder what a compass looks like there with all the extra dimensions.

Ah, the elusive "out" direction.. I wonder what a compass looks like there with all the extra dimensions.
    Confusing. That's why we drink a lot and wonder around lost most of the time (lol)

... I also love Denver, Colorado (which would be Upper North West Coast). ....
    Not that I want to correct you but to avoid confusing our non-US folks, Denver has 2 mountain ranges separating it from the ocean, it's not really near the coast (either one). Upper Northwest Coast would be Seattle, Washington area, includes Northern California and Oregon.

... you will not find any "grits"...
    Grits are hard to find anywhere outside of Dixie. Every time I'm in Virginia, I need my "Grit Fix", every meal, to tide me over until my next trip

Not that I want to correct you but to avoid confusing our non-US folks, Denver has 2 mountain ranges separating it from the ocean, it's not really near the coast (either one). Upper Northwest Coast would be Seattle, Washington area, includes Northern California and Oregon.

Grits are hard to find anywhere outside of Dixie. Every time I'm in Virginia, I need my "Grit Fix", every meal, to tide me over until my next trip
    Cdosor. You are correct of course. Guess I need to be careful about being too "general" in my description of how we are "layed out" on the map.

Now I had to look up grits, find it in both German and US Wikipedia, and it seems to me the relation to Southern US, the "kitchen" (meals?), the background and development are almost more emphasized and explained in the German page, lol. Fascinating, in any case. A "local" specialty. :-)

cdosr;

I am a Southerner, but actually prefer hash browns to grits.

When I order them it is like this "Hash browns, extra crispy, scattered"

In this way I can avoid the white uncooked portion of them as much as possible.
    Town - DALISCAPE
    Coop - seul en mer(#SEU82G)
    Be kind.