Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Update prevents access to friends who updated app & no co-op tab anymore

Mary_Rose

Latest Update prevents access to friends who updated app & no co-op tab anymore

Latest Township 3.7.1 update caused me to lose access to half my friends since they must of downloaded the app from the Google & Apple app store to play. Please fix issue or at least update the Township app to the current version 3.7.1 from 3.7.0 in the Amazon App Store.

Yes I agree I cannot update my app to newer version to play with my other players in my Township game, this is very distressing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Hileman View Post
    Yes I agree I cannot update my app to newer version to play with my other players in my Township game, this is very distressing!!!
    Hi,

The update will become available for all platforms during the next few days. Until then, you will not be able to visit/help players who already got the update.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township, Gardenscapes and Homescapes moderator, I only have power to maintain the forums.
    Township Support | Gardenscapes Support | Homescapes Support
    FORUM RULES

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
    Hi,

The update will become available for all platforms during the next few days. Until then, you will not be able to visit/help players who already got the update.
    Hiya dread, this stopped being an issue with the implementation of the co-ops, and has only surfaced again recently. Is this some kind of coding error, or is this how the devs intend us to continue from now on? Do you have any info?
    Forever living in hope lol

Forum member since June 2015 - Fed up with the Regatta 'rewards'!!

Level 147 - Android Friend code RNDXDC. I'm full but happy to stay on your pending tabs.

Imp: - Level 130 - Android 4CP9XT

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Hiya dread, this stopped being an issue with the implementation of the co-ops, and has only surfaced again recently. Is this some kind of coding error, or is this how the devs intend us to continue from now on? Do you have any info?
    Hiya back! All i know is that they are aware that this is happening, not sure if they consider this to be an error or the new normal, but i will try to find out more.
    IMPORTANT: As a Township, Gardenscapes and Homescapes moderator, I only have power to maintain the forums.
    FORUM RULES

Hiya back! All i know is that they are aware that this is happening, not sure if they consider this to be an error or the new normal, but i will try to find out more.
    Thanks!

Level 147 - Android Friend code RNDXDC. I'm full but happy to stay on your pending tabs.

Quickie Software Nerd explanation. I used to have to deal with this problem all the time when providing an update to some software. Generally, when you have a new version of a program, you code in "Backwards Compatibility", meaning that the new version has the ability to communicate to an older version by understanding an older protocol (pretends to be the older version) or to be able to read the data produced by the older version.

The key word in there is "backwards". It is always possible for a newer version to understand the older version but not the other way around, there is no "forwards compatibility", that is, a program could not possible be coded to understand a "future version" of itself.

That is what is happening here. Some change was major enough to cause a data incompatibility (aka, the new zoo) so the old versions are not allowed to look at the data from the new version because it is so different that the old version would probably blow up trying to make sense or render it. To prevent this programmers usually add in some "version compatibility matrix" check and simply prohibit an old version from looking at a future version.

Since the rollout for the various platforms is not completely synched, Google Play, Amazon Store, and the Apple Store all have some measure of when their respective platforms get a new update, you will see this behavior.

Generally, it's not a problem if the changes from release to release are not so major that it invalidates the data necessary to visit another town. This time it did. So, not a "programming problem" but actually good engineering practices to avoid some other unknown (read: bad) thing from happening.
    Last edited by cdosr; 01-11-2019 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Minor typo

I got the short version of what cdosr said - that while the two (old and new) versions are not compatible, they can't visit each other. And i guess this time the versions are wildly incompatible, with the new zoo change and all.
    From the answer i got, i understand (was not that clear, lol) that it won't necessarily happen with all updates in the future, but it can happen, and it's ok (i.e., not a bug).
    FORUM RULES

I got the short version of what cdosr said - that while the two (old and new) versions are not compatible, they can't visit each other. And i guess this time the versions are wildly incompatible, with the new zoo change and all.
    From the answer i got, i understand (was not that clear, lol) that it won't necessarily happen with all updates in the future, but it can happen, and it's ok (i.e., not a bug).
    Thanks dread and Charlie, very helpful

Diff Platform Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Mary_Rose View Post
    Latest Township 3.7.1 update caused me to lose access to half my friends since they must of downloaded the app from the Google & Apple app store to play. Please fix issue or at least update the Township app to the current version 3.7.1 from 3.7.0 in the Amazon App Store.
    I understand that 2 diff versions may not be able to communicate with each other and that is what is happening today, Thursday January 10, 2018.

However, this is the second time in 2 months that this has happened to Android users, where the Apple update came out many days before the Android version. This is very unprofessional because it gives the impression that Playrix cares more for Apple users and Android users are 2nd class users. This is especially irksome when competing in the Regattas and those of us using Android cannot help our Apple users who are in our same co-op.

In the future new versions of the game that could cause this problem should be held from going into Production until all updates are complete (Android, Apple, Windows, etc...).

This makes it fair to all users.