Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Best Town Of The Year Award By Playrix?

  1. #1

    Best Town Of The Year Award By Playrix?

    Have they ever done anything like that?

    It's a safe bet mine wouldn't win, but just think of the possibilities here.

    Players submit nominations by deadline. You could nominate your own town or another player's town.

    Once all of the nominations are made, Playrix picks the top ten or something, I don't know.

    The judging could be juried or by vote from the Township community.
    Playrix would make a feature where you could tour all of the candidate's towns.

    There are some really nice towns out there, and everyone would have an opportunity to see them.

    You could have categories to win (I.E. "Best Use of Color", "Best Arranged Town", etc.) and you could divide the field into higher level and lower level players.

    I would hope they would give the winners something really worthwhile.

    Brain Jazz on a Saturday Afternoon

  2. #2
    Ralph0989
    Guest
    This has been suggested before... Well, as you can see, Playrix has decided not to implement it; at least, so far...

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph0989 View Post
    This has been suggested before... Well, as you can see, Playrix has decided not to implement it; at least, so far...
    Thanks Ralph

  4. #4
    Tassie
    Guest
    One potential issue with this is that it could be (and only saying could be) that players who have already spent money have nicer towns due to being able to buy more decorations etc so have a greater chance of winning. And they get the free prize.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie View Post
    One potential issue with this is that it could be (and only saying could be) that players who have already spent money have nicer towns due to being able to buy more decorations etc so have a greater chance of winning. And they get the free prize.
    I got it. Uneven playing field. Yes

  6. #6
    Cobalt: I think (purely guessing here) that Playrix may have decided it could be a "lose, lose" situation for them - beauty is so often in the eye of the beholder.

    Maybe they could have a short story contest - you describe and explain your Town - it's history, it's growth, the way it is today and how that came to be and why it is the way it is. The short story could be augmented by screen shots, perhaps. As a person with some writing talent and skill, that might be right up your alley.

    Also, by having clearly cut parameters, players choose to enter such a contest - and it could be offered for different levels (based on population, perhaps) so that low, mid, and high level players aren't competing in the same pool. A nice award (even some honorable mentions) could be shown in winners' town halls.

    Now that I have written all this, I wonder if Playrix staff has the time to devote to such a contest - it could be pretty overwhelming.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie View Post
    One potential issue with this is that it could be (and only saying could be) that players who have already spent money have nicer towns due to being able to buy more decorations etc so have a greater chance of winning. And they get the free prize.
    I was eating out when I got your reply, and didn't give it the attention it warranted. You bring up a good point, and after thinking about it, I see that issue and many others. For my full response, see my reply to Nana's post.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Nana View Post
    Cobalt: I think (purely guessing here) that Playrix may have decided it could be a "lose, lose" situation for them - beauty is so often in the eye of the beholder.

    Maybe they could have a short story contest - you describe and explain your Town - it's history, it's growth, the way it is today and how that came to be and why it is the way it is. The short story could be augmented by screen shots, perhaps. As a person with some writing talent and skill, that might be right up your alley.

    Also, by having clearly cut parameters, players choose to enter such a contest - and it could be offered for different levels (based on population, perhaps) so that low, mid, and high level players aren't competing in the same pool. A nice award (even some honorable mentions) could be shown in winners' town halls.

    Now that I have written all this, I wonder if Playrix staff has the time to devote to such a contest - it could be pretty overwhelming.
    Nana,

    After reading your nicely wordsmithed reply to my idealistic desire for a “beauty contest” with our towns, I see you have hit on the main problem. Yes, it would be fun no doubt to see all those pretty towns. But it would not be fun for whoever pulls this together and runs it.

    I agree, Playrix would want no part of it. The best to hope for is that they would donate the prizes and someone else organizes and coordinates the event, and then judges the entries. The Playrix Forum Senior Leadership then? Again, the answer would be no I’m sure. It’s enough to keep up with all the issues with the game and newbie questions and problems.

    The “lose, lose” aspect you mentioned is spot on as well. Even if it happened, it would probably create a lot of sniping and murmuring among the members. "Did you see Betty Lou’s town?! And she won 2nd place!"

    What was I thinking?!

    Thank you for the complement. You have a mercurial wit and get to the crux of matters.

    One thing that would be nice is to be able to see anyone’s town that we desire. What if someone wanted to see what you did with the Florist House for example? Like me. They can’t unless they have your code. And even then it is a little clumsy to do. I would settle for this enhancement.

  9. #9
    Rick McEntire
    Guest
    My town is definitely the best. No doubt about it.

    That's what I thought, until I started seeing other towns. What, mine the best? Please...

    Actually, many of our towns look very similar, because we all have the same buildings, the same roads, decorations, etc. We all start out on the same spot of land. Still, some have done a much better job of layout than others.

    I agree, my layout is, ... not so good. But layout is all we have, and aside from a few criteria (Can I drive from any part of the city to any other part? Is there a tall building at the end of the runway?) there's not much else to judge. Still, if Playrix were up to it, I wouldn't mind seeing screenshots of Town of the Week, or of something otherwise unique.

  10. #10
    Arlene James
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McEntire View Post
    My town is definitely the best. No doubt about it.

    That's what I thought, until I started seeing other towns. What, mine the best? Please...

    Actually, many of our towns look very similar, because we all have the same buildings, the same roads, decorations, etc. We all start out on the same spot of land. Still, some have done a much better job of layout than others.

    I agree, my layout is, ... not so good. But layout is all we have, and aside from a few criteria (Can I drive from any part of the city to any other part? Is there a tall building at the end of the runway?) there's not much else to judge. Still, if Playrix were up to it, I wouldn't mind seeing screenshots of Town of the Week, or of something otherwise unique.
    My child/grandchild is the most beautiful in all the world. You hit the nail on the head Rick. We all love our towns.... even though we are all working with the same bit of clay, we all put a little (or a lot) of our own personality into out towns. I love looking at my friends towns..... some of them I find myself wandering through for a very long time and admiring what they have done with their clay. But I still love my town. I am making into the place where I would Be happy to live.

    Some players play the game "to beat it or win"..... get to the end. Most of us here on the forum (lurkers included) play to create. With our bit of clay. Because it is fun to create something from your imagination with what you have to work with.

    Anyway, that's just the way I see it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •