Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping A Co-op Together Long-Term

I started my own co op after the previous one got nasty (one bad apple plus one easily led leader), so feel a little better exercising my power, so to speak. I don’t mind those who are long term and who don’t race..as long as I know why they’re out. Not, like, mega details, but some clue is good. The non-racers don’t harm us sitting there unless we’re getting near 30, which we aren’t. It’s those who’d like to just dabble a bit when everyone else is going for it but won’t sit out the race that end up on the heavy end of my foot. I’m not a dictator, though if there’s ever a line needs drawing, I end up doing it. Some people are a bit diffident about giving firm answers when asked what they think, lol, which makes trying to give them what they want trickier than it should be. But nobody else wants to be leader.
    Last edited by Bessville; 10-17-2017 at 04:38 AM.

LOL. Ask 10+ people a question and you shall receive 10 different answers. I think it's smart to set your coop rules as simple and clear as you can. And fitting towards the kind of coop you wish to lead.

Setting your coop rule: 16 x 135s is very ambitious. It's also high maintenance. Players will stress out. But if it fits your ambition with your coop, go for it, good luck and god speed. I do think when you raise the bar this high, you will -have- to stick every single one of your members to it. No remorse, no mercy, no excuses. You're asking a lot and no one lets the team down in this one. That's not dictatorship. That's keeping your team healthy at the top notch level of gameplay. Casuals beware.

I'm currently in a coop with 5 task/400 point minimum. It's a lot more relaxed and suitable for more casual gameplay. Still solid golden competition participation. You even can get to top 3 in golden competition if you're a bit lucky with your competition. Trophies not so much though. I'm typically at 2100+ points/16 tasks by Friday, but I'm fine in this coop. Because our leader kicks those that don't meet the modest goal every Monday before regatta end. She has the team's back.

I'd dump the "help requirement" rule asap. Adds unneeded complication. Because helping is rewarded so strongly in this game people are promoted to help anyway. Giving others opportunities to help and earn clovers is just as important as well. So if people meet the regatta goal, that should do.
    Blue trashcan: dumping has no effect on current race, only deducts points from Global score (Global Leaderboard etc.)
    Red trashcan: DON'T USE unless you really wish to lose those points in your race!

Android Township player, township name Vuurvlinderstad
    Coop: De Oranjetompoucen, tag #DEQ8WE

I started my co-op when they were first introduced, and we have a core group who have been together pretty much since the start. We have a minimum task/points level and can opt out for any length of time, some never or rarely race, others race solidly every week. We've had our fair share of leeches, but that was more so in the early days. Normally we have 10-15 race each week, the smallest group was 8 and we found the opposition quite tough then, coming across teams with perfect scores.

We're a pretty easygoing lot, sometimes chatty and sometimes not. We've had to remove people from the co-op who've disappeared while opted in, or, who's stats started to dwindle, but still wouldn't opt out. For a lot, the co-op is about the camaraderie, so as long as those who race meet the minimum task level, everyone can pretty much play as they please.
    Forever living in hope lol

Forum member since June 2015 -
    Little Wonders #UPN7VG ~ now recruiting ~ Level 64+
    Level 155 - Android Friend code RNDXDC. I'm full but happy to stay on your pending tabs.

Imp: - Level 137 - Android 4CP9XT

Oh, I didn’t mean to imply I actually ask for 16 x 135, only that if people wanted trophies then that was what they’d need to do to get them. So many people don’t have a clue about scores etc so I wanted to make sure they weren’t gonna be disappointed when their casual 14 tasks at 125 or whatever didn’t get them the win, lol. Our task minimum is actually set at 12, though we almost always do more. The help requirement came in when we brought in new players, so they’d know what we wanted, and because we had a couple of old ones who were slipping in that regard. It was starting to be noticed that they were taking and awful lot more than they were giving, week after week, which was getting people annoyed, so I needed to be able to say this much and no less, if you see what I mean. Like the task number, it was set pretty low compared to what most people were actually doing to enable people to hit the target, rather than to try to catch them out not hitting it..

Quote Originally Posted by Bessville View Post
    I think that’s part of the problem.. my team are supposed to opt out unless hitting a minimum along the same lines as yours, but a few seem reluctant to do so. They’d rather still race but do fewer tasks, which wasn’t the aim we initially set out. If it continues, I guess I need to either go along with it and change my attitude to racing to stay with my friends or find/build a more competitive team.. soon time to decide on my priorities I guess.

I think this is spot on. To me it sounds like your vision for the kind of co-op you'd like to lead doesn't quite match with the players you have.
    There are a lot of strong, stable co-ops out there, but it needs to be the right fit of players.
    I started off in a relaxed co-op with the most lovely people. Their playstyle wasn't for me, but they are still going strong, winning the very occasional gold trophy and still enjoying the game. So I don't think the fact that your co-op is slowing down means it is falling apart, but it might not be the right place for you.

Thanks so much all, this has helped me clarify my thoughts, I really appreciate the help

Really interesting reading all your comments. I've been in co-ops where everyone bitched about everyone if they didn't pull weight and put so much pressure on members it was stressful and not fun. So I started my own. I agree its important to set out clear rules. We ask members to complete some tasks each week or opt out. We have some members do every task and some only do about 5 but we are all happy, helpful and loving the dynamic of the group. We had one member join who wouldn't abide by the rules, they got a warning and then I kicked them out. So far been the only one. We are never going to be on the podium but we spend most of the time in gold league and we are all enjoying playing. Hope you can all get yourself in a happy unified group cos its brill when you do!

Smile

The fist co-op I was in was fun .. and we had a great time with the Regatta and everybody was friendly and helpful and the chat was awesome. Then it started to get real serious with the Regatta and people 'calling' tasks .. and come to find that task sat out there for 12 hours or more ... and it was difficult to keep track and read all the chat messages so I left. They changed their motto from 'have fun' to 'we are active in the Regatta." What was so fun in the beginning turned out to be a headache and irksome at the end ... I keep tabs on the co-op and there is only one member left from the original clan.

However there are two members that friended me and are still friends. One invited me to another co-op and this one is a BLAST. The only requirements are a minimum of 6 tasks or 45 helps. And, even though we are in the Golden League, we dump tasks regularly. Our record is 11 1st, 9 second and 4 third. We help each other out ... and my friend that invited me ... when they are close to not making the minimum helps because they didn't do too many tasks (they are in school ) ... I will flag a train or plane, or request on the chat board, so they can make their minimum to stay in the coop. There are no rules as to the minimum point amount, but most choose the larger amounts and the smaller-point tasks are dumped on a regular basis. While I am an Elder, I leave the dumping to the Co-Leaders. while we HATE the Plane and Train crate tasks during this Season, we really stepped up the game .. I will hold a plane or train if I am not doing that task and when someone needs to fill crates, I let them know what I need and when they have the items, I flag it so they get the credit.

They also remind members before a Regatta starts to mark themselves as Not Racing if they need a break or off that week.

We use the Helper (I like the word Helper better than Dealer) to assist others with items they need, and also if someone needs to fill someone else's crate for the Crate Task, they can request in the chat to get the items to fill the other's crate(s) and when the items are received the other co-op member then flags the plane/train so that it isn't filled by either other co-op peeps or friends.

We DO have a good core of excited and passionate Regatta racers so that helps greatly.

I guess in my (humble) opinion is to build on camaraderie, not have the bar set too high or too many rules (we don't request or hold tasks but if there is a task that you want kept we say 'please don't dump the ______ task' before a CL clears the board). And if mistakes are made (like falling asleep at night before harvesting .. or whatever) and the time runs out, our Leader said not to worry but there is something that is mandatory ... that is to go have some ice cream...

Quote Originally Posted by Bessville View Post
    Oh, I didn’t mean to imply I actually ask for 16 x 135, only that if people wanted trophies then that was what they’d need to do to get them. So many people don’t have a clue about scores etc so I wanted to make sure they weren’t gonna be disappointed when their casual 14 tasks at 125 or whatever didn’t get them the win, lol. Our task minimum is actually set at 12, though we almost always do more. The help requirement came in when we brought in new players, so they’d know what we wanted, and because we had a couple of old ones who were slipping in that regard. It was starting to be noticed that they were taking and awful lot more than they were giving, week after week, which was getting people annoyed, so I needed to be able to say this much and no less, if you see what I mean. Like the task number, it was set pretty low compared to what most people were actually doing to enable people to hit the target, rather than to try to catch them out not hitting it..
    Sounds like some of your team members don't get the concept of this game, as in how helping is actually equally rewarding if not more rewarding than receiving help. Gold and XP rewards are sweet for helping and the clovers really add up on so many levels. Personally, I cherish those that seem to never cease to ask for help. I love my "takers".
    Blue trashcan: dumping has no effect on current race, only deducts points from Global score (Global Leaderboard etc.)
    Red trashcan: DON'T USE unless you really wish to lose those points in your race!

Android Township player, township name Vuurvlinderstad
    Coop: De Oranjetompoucen, tag #DEQ8WE

I find it frustrating when somebody takes way more than they give. The vast majority of us will give our very last item if asked, without even thinking other than for a plane, but we do so in the expectation that if we then find ourselves caught short somebody will have our back and repay the favour. That breaks down with shy givers, meaning we all have to question whether we can afford to help out. In the long periods where we all donate without hesitation we find we all get through our tasks faster and have a general sense of strength and closeness in the team. As soon as one person starts to get reluctant, we lose all of that. For me, clovers and xp etc are just the cherry on top, not the cake itself.

Edit: for the record, nobody in my coop now is a ‘shy’ giver, we share our barns equally. Anyone who doesn’t pitch in doesn’t last.
    Last edited by Bessville; 10-17-2017 at 04:34 AM.