Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Exactly Are Regatta Groups Created?

Quote Originally Posted by Bessville View Post
    I agree Dreadnought, one solution won’t ever fit us all. That’s why I think the platinum league idea is a good one. Current rules and leagues for us ‘normal’ folk, uber league with different rules and requirements for the GLB super-set. And make that league both very tough to get into and very tough to fall out of.
    Amen, Bessville. Last week worked in our favour, we won our gold trophy so we are really happy about that. This week we are doing abysmally, much worse than usual, so it looks like we are back to normal every day Gold League competing against super teams.

Ok it just feels to me that we are a team of 8 racing players. We are matched with a 12 person team with 8 racing players. Do those other 4 nonracers get to help their 8 racing team mates win? If so then that is rough on us! Best of luck keeping co-ops interested if that is so.
    #DXDG76 we are B Ski Buds.... Thank you for reviewing my post😎

Quote Originally Posted by Bessville View Post
    I agree Dreadnought, one solution won’t ever fit us all. That’s why I think the platinum league idea is a good one. Current rules and leagues for us ‘normal’ folk, uber league with different rules and requirements for the GLB super-set. And make that league both very tough to get into and very tough to fall out of.
    I love this idea too! That would, hopefully, give the global teams that edge they have been looking for.

We too have grown frustrated with regatta. Our team consists of players about level 80 to 90 and we have been pitted against players at levels anywhere from 120+ to 170+...big advantage with barn space and levels of trains & islands. We have barely held on to the top 12.

To the OP: it has been the number of active players. If your team consists of 15 and only four of you are racing then you will be put up against other teams with four active racers. As to those players levels...that will make the difference in the race.
    "If I am found vague, listless or agitated, Administer Chocolate Immediately." Sandra Boynton

Unhappy

i believe it is pretty unfair as a single member co-op at level 66 yet i am pitted against co-ops that are double my level. definite struggle to get anywhere near level 3

I play on the Mac platform and have the reverse problem. We almost NEVER have any competition. Maybe one team will pop up after a day or so, and will complete maybe one or two tasks out of the 400+ possible.
    We are global leaders and race with 26-29 players and would LOVE some competition!
    iPad - Lyndie's town level 137. Zoo level 41
    Mac - Lyndie's town 2 level 181. Zoo level 45

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Bookworm View Post

We too have grown frustrated with regatta. Our team consists of players about level 80 to 90 and we have been pitted against players at levels anywhere from 120+ to 170+...big advantage with barn space and levels of trains & islands. We have barely held on to the top 12.

It's not necessarily a level thing:

Skill and organisation can and does play a part, and a lower level can beat higher levels.

I've spent a fair bit of time experimenting, honing techniques etc. I happen to have a level 60+ newer town and a level 200+ town, so have tried from quite a few angles with and without Tcash. I've also raced both at the same time which can be interesting from a task choice perspective

With my level 60+ town I've won races against much higher levels, having spent little or no cash. There was one race where I was the lowest level racer, and all bar 1 were over level 100. I managed to finish 1st - fairly, and squarely with very little Tcash. This race stuck out as I was so much lower than everyone else. Usually there were a few teams around my level. I can't always win, but I can and often finish top 3 - though not always - in normal competition.
    That's because my level 60+ town has the experience and skill of a level 200+ player who's been around and by nature likes to optimise things

With my level 200+ town it is admittedly easier to win than my level 60+ and I can usually win most races, or at least top 3. it's rare to finish outside top 3.

So skill and experience can trump level.

There's a massive BUT though:

In a race where a level 70 team is frantically spending Tcash, they can and have beat my level 200+ town. If I don't spend Tcash against such teams which are frantically spending, it simply isn't mathematically possible to beat them. They continually refresh, whereas I wait 30 mins etc. They call planes rather than wait etc etc. It's obvious when they are spending Tcash and not.

Bottom line: Skill and experience can beat level. But Tcash trumps all LOL

So If your level 80 to 90's can't beat the level 120 to 170's it could well be skill and experience rather than just simply they are higher level than you. If you see they are spending Tcash though, that's the reason. Skill, experience and level can't come close to a frantic Tcash spender. That's the most likely reason
    Last edited by L&P Star 2; 04-01-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    Level: 222 L&P Star 2 / Level 67 L&P Star 3
    Coops: Star town-owners / New Star-town-owners
    Coop tags: #S88Y93 / #NEWYK9
    Mininum 10 tasks in regatta / 16@135 .

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Bookworm View Post
    ... Our team consists of players about level 80 to 90 and we have been pitted against players at levels anywhere from 120+ to 170+...big advantage with barn space and levels of trains & islands. We have barely held on to the top 12.

That you think it may be down to factors such as levels of trains and islands providing a big advantage sort of highlights your lack of skill and experience. Apologies if that comes across as rude saying that, it's not my intention, but it's a key point, and not sure how else to say it LOL

If you want to win and be 1st, then avoid taking most island tasks.
    They take too long, even with a 50% upgrade. If you are racing for speed, you really don't want to be doing the 1st order fruits: peach, grape, banana or fish tasks. They all require 13 or more fruits to finish. So you have to wait for your ships to come back. Takes too long.
    You should take only the 2nd order fruits: prawn, coconut, olive. These require 12 or less so can be done in 1 go. You should also take them only when your ships are already and waiting in the port with enough goods to finish the task in seconds after taking it. Otherwise you have to send them out again. Takes too long and you lose
    So it really doesn't matter whether your town is level 80 or level 170:
    If they are sat waiting they will take seconds to complete the second order island tasks. If they are not waiting, you have to send, and wait. If you wait, you likely won't win the race, regardless of level, if you're up against people skilled and experienced enough to know that
    Islands are also the worst and most costly if you want to speed up. So hard core racers even spending Tcash wil be reluctant to take them

Similarly avoiding train tasks is a key to winning. Unless you're prepared to spend Tcash. They take too long. You wait and you lose. Whether you wait 2.5 hours as a high level with all upgrades or 4 hours+ on a lower level. You likely lose. You might get lucky and play against racers who aren't that good, but in all likelihood you are significantly decreasing your chances

Skilled/ experienced players who win week in and week out don't take train tasks - regardless of their level - unless they spend Tcash to speed up.
    Some skilled/ experienced racers go as far as to "block" train tasks = have 3 on the board so no more can come up

If you take an 11 train 135 task, even with 50% upgrades and starting with 3, you will send 3 trains 3 times so ball park 7 hours plus. I can probably have finished half my tasks with a level 60 town on a good day, in the time it takes you to do 1 train task. Assuming neither spends any Tcash

If racing to win, I will rarely take any task that takes longer than 2 hours max once my preparation is finished. That's a max 2 hours, some are done in seconds/minutes.

These are the type of things that skilled/ experienced players know and are doing. Again without trying to be rude, the fact you think they are contributing to you not winning, shows you've some way to go

Hard core Tcash spenders are less bothered
    Last edited by L&P Star 2; 03-31-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    Level: 222 L&P Star 2 / Level 67 L&P Star 3
    Coops: Star town-owners / New Star-town-owners
    Coop tags: #S88Y93 / #NEWYK9
    Mininum 10 tasks in regatta / 16@135 .

Quote Originally Posted by Skiville View Post
    Ok it just feels to me that we are a team of 8 racing players. We are matched with a 12 person team with 8 racing players. Do those other 4 nonracers get to help their 8 racing team mates win? If so then that is rough on us! Best of luck keeping co-ops interested if that is so.
    #DXDG76 we are B Ski Buds.... Thank you for reviewing my post😎
    Wow, dredging up an old thread. Glad to see someone posting to a related thread rather than just starting a new one.

Yes, if you were in a 30-person co-op and only 1 person was racing, you would still have 29 other players that were able to help. But from my experience, most of the players that are not racing do so because they are not going to be around as much (if at all) during the week. Can they help? Sure. But do they tend to help as much? Not even close.

I have beaten teams with several not racing as well as lost to them as well. But I haven't found that they tend to be much more able to win.

Quote Originally Posted by L&P Star 2 View Post

Skill and organisation can and does play a part, and a lower level can beat higher levels.

So skill and experience can trump level.

There's a massive BUT though:

In a race where a level 70 team is frantically spending Tcash, they can and have beat my level 200+ town. If I don't spend Tcash against such teams which are frantically spending, it simply isn't mathematically possible to beat them. They continually refresh, whereas I wait 30 mins etc. They call planes rather than wait etc etc. It's obvious when they are spending Tcash and not.

Bottom line: Skill and experience can beat level. But Tcash trumps all LOL
    Well put L&P. Don't let level discourage you. Lower levels CAN have easier tasks (dependent upon how low the level) and experience and dedication (and I think you mentioned "skill" ) all help. But tcash is a variable that you cannot truly account for.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before in another thread - I think I did - but I would love to see the GLB formulas take into account tcash. For every "x" spent on speeding up tasks, deduct "xx" points. For every "y" spent on speeding up items related to the task at hand, deduct "yy" points. (I know that the "y" option isn't realistic as many would speed up as much as they could prior to taking the task.) But I'm sure you get the idea. Now find a way for this to happen so that what I will call the "true racers" benefit, and I'm all in.
    Town: Is it supposed to stay the same?
    Co-op: Global Ninja Farmers (Tag: #GRRK3R)
    Level: 115 . . . .
    Friend Code: A8QUW3

Active Since: September 2016

They need an algorithm change

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
    I've read few threads about the pairing issue, and what i can tell so far is that super competitive players are not happy to race with other co-ops with the same level of competitive-ness, because if they lose when having the same score, but were slower, seems unfair. If not so competitive co-ops are paired with super competitive ones, they feel like they didn't stand a chance to begin with, also unfair.

Out of millions of players (~4), let's say there are half a million co-ops, i don't see a way that would satisfy the needs of all of them simultaneously..
    My co-op has an average member level of 45, every other team we were paired against had an average level of 120. I think it would be fair if we were paired against co-ops of the same level. Levels over 100 have more upgraded features, such as factories, islands, trains… That does not make for a fair race in my humble opinion.

Skill and organisation can and does play a part, and a lower level can beat higher levels. Skill, experience and level can't come close to a frantic Tcash spender.
    That you think it may be down to factors such as levels of trains and islands providing a big advantage sort of highlights your lack of skill and experience....
    Quote Originally Posted by Will9455Nikki View Post
    Well put L&P. Don't let level discourage you. Lower levels CAN have easier tasks (dependent upon how low the level) and experience and dedication (and I think you mentioned "skill" ) all help. But tcash is a variable that you cannot truly account for

I am so sorry...I never saw these responses! Thank-you for your insights and the tips you all have provided.

Yes, skill definitely comes in to play...none of which I have...even months later...sad but true. No, not offended at all...any suggestions welcome. I wish I was a regatta master! Then I could better help my team.

Tcash...yep...it's king...lol

"If I am found vague, listless or agitated, Administer Chocolate Immediately." Sandra Boynton