Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying To Like Game (Or, Austin, You Are SOO Grounded!)

Trying To Like Game (Or, Austin, You Are SOO Grounded!)

I downloaded earlier today, and have played through day 2, working on day 3 (front hall).

There are a lot of things I like about the game. (New powerups available by matching, etc.) The music is wonderful. Graphics are good.

Austin seems to get younger and better looking with every game (in the first Gardenscapes, hidden object game on the computer, he looks almost decrepit).

But where is the dog? A bird that we don't even get to name isn't the same. We've had that same dog with every iteration of Gardenscapes, and I'll be sad not to have him.

And far worse than that, is the way Austin treats his parents. They are not senile, they don't need him to be making decisions for them. Against their will, even. After they told him not to. That's their house, he's just a visitor. Even if he succeeds in convincing them not to sell, he'll go home, and they'll be stuck with this house that's far too big and hard to take care of. In much better shape than when he arrived, but still. If he were working with them, rather than against in fixing up their house, it would be entirely different, but I'm rather surprised they haven't dis-invited him at this point.

Austin seems to get younger and better looking with every game (in the first Gardenscapes, hidden object game on the computer, he looks almost decrepit).
    LOL, true! but still the same clothes...?

The (missing!?!) dog was my first thought as well, when he walked towards the house. I hoped he'd come later, but so far we've only heard of a parrot... which he agreed to put in the luggage room?? (I thought quite often they are 'open'?)

Haven't met the selling situation yet, but was amazed they wanted to put him in a guest room while his room was still available.
    Like the M3 so far, but at the beginning, they are always easy :-)
    And I would like being able to turn off the tutorial, at least on 2nd time.
    Most annoying is a typo in their German translation, though, as it is in the end-of-level window and so appears EACH time!

Haven't had a chance to play this yet, but it will be the first thing i do next week when i get home. Sad to hear the dog won't be there, from the picture/trailer i assumed that this game will feature a cat as a pet? It's a parrot now? Can't wait to try it out, you all are making me super curious!

I was quite amazed at the parrot as well. From the story, I wouldn't be surprised if the cat arrived INSTEAD!
    (Austin is waiting for it to be brought from the airport, as it travelled as luggage, he tells us)

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    (Austin is waiting for it to be brought from the airport, as it travelled as luggage, he tells us)
    Shall we add animal cruelty to the "why i hate Austin" list? :-))

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
    Shall we add animal cruelty to the "why i hate Austin" list? :-))
    LOL! definitely!

and from what Jasini said, towards parents, too! (hm, or old ppl in general, since he himself seems to get younger?)

I think after the feedback Palyrix received from the Gardenscapes thread (from what i read, the majority hates Austin), they stopped even trying to make him pleasant, they embraced the dark side, and made Austin to be how people perceived him.

Disclaimer: this is based on the very few opinions i read here about how Austin behaves, treats his parents, etc. More informed opinion after i start playing and see for myself

OK, will be interesting to see what you say after playing the new game.

Read my impression afterwards only, after seeing yourself, ok - no biggie, just don't want to influence you:

begin spoiler, highlight to read

I thought almost immediately that they tried on the contrary to make him look friendlier. It was his smile and his clapping hands when you end a level - winning; dunno yet how it is with losing. No raised eyebrow and such.
    These were the things I paid attention to, as I had read them in the Gardenscapes-Austin-thread. Kept them in mind, cos I didn't see them before as so "bad".

end spoiler :-)

I like GS sugesstions are brought here but i liked the dog and the parrot, idea with cat is not mine so i would rather have a choice, for now i am atm where Austin is forced to fed Katerinas cat...

Yes, I got the cat now.

Though the Newsfeed is presumptive. It keeps telling us things that we haven't actually decided/done yet, like adopt the cat, and hire whatisname to fix the statues.