Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Differences

Time Differences

Time differences put other co-op's at a disadvantage! Need to have races for each time zone!

If you'll search these forums, you'll find several discussions about why the common "world wide start time" is less of an issue than you think it is. I don't have a link to help you with that right now.

Re: Races in each time zone.... My team has 3 in GB (UTC+0), 1 in Poland (UTC+1), 1 in India (UTC+5.5), 3 in the USA (with 4 timezones) - which one would you propose we race in? Really, with global teams getting a single start time when everybody's awake is almost impossible.

PS: add or subtract 1 hour from the UTC offsets depending on Daylight Saving Time or not is observed in the appropriate country / state / municipality.

What we have found is, having players from all over the globe helps to keep us right up with all the others. The trick is to find what type of race works for you. Check out how other teams are playing. Lots of info in the forum. Just look at the Co-Ops looking to find new players that are advertising on the forums. Try this link https://forum.playrix.com/forumdispl...ta-Discussions
    Good luck and Happy Gaming!

I don't really understand why the start time matters.

Everyone has the same amount of time to complete tasks. If you start at 9am, and others start at midnight, you could argue you get to start before them because you can be on for the start of the race, whereas midnight people have to wait 6/7/8 hours after to start.

But then, at midnight on the last day when you've gone to bed, it's only their 3pm and they've now got the whole evening to finish their tasks.

Then we have the people that play at midnight because that's when they get on after work. To change every time zones start time to 9am would suck for them cause that's when they're asleep.

Then how does it work with international co-ops? I have people from GMT-9 to GMT+12.
    So if we all start at "our" 9am, we're still all starting and finishing at different times, because the +12s are 21 hours ahead of the -9s.
    Then the +12s have to wait until tomorrow for the race to end and get their prizes, even though they finished yesterday...

I just struggle to see the positive in starting at different times...?

I suspect it matters a lot for small but highly competitive coops. They can have a tie in the race. And the tie can be broken by either, who got max score first (coops in the later timezone suffer) or by who got the maximum score in shorter time, since coop can start race later then the starting time (in this case, distributed coops suffer).

Ah, now that's a fair point I hadn't considered... Two co-ops scoring 30x16x135 (for example, I know co-op members/racers may be less) will be placed in 1st/2nd depending on who went from start of 1st task to end of last task the quickest, thereby putting the sleeping/working/unable to game players at a disadvantage.

I think the only way to make that fair then, would be to total the time taken for start of first task to end of last task PER PLAYER, then create a total co-op time based on that.

I don't know.
    There will never be a start time that works for everyone.

All have the same amount of time overall, and that is why it is as fair as can get.
    When there is a tie break - same points, and only then it matters - the team with the shortest overall time wins, i.e. from taking first task (NOT regatta start) to finishing last task. It is NOT the first team to reach these pts that wins! That is something that many ppl don't know, forget or overlook, and that is why these time(zone) ideas come up often.

edit: Stan, in case of a tie break, your first alternative is not valid, only the 2nd. So there is no disadvantage to a later regatta start per se.

And thus, Nevada: I don't think so.You said the procedure right, but not the consequences. The sleeping racers will naturally sleep, not race, so they can still become first with starting later and finishing faster *overall*.
    Why do y'all think there are so often complaints about having been in first till the last hours?
    Because the latecomers have prepared longer.

And believe me, members of a competitive Coop know that they shouldn't start the race as first member taking a task before going to sleep, unless all racers are well-prepared. There have been some who didn't sleep, yes, lol.
    Last edited by _DD_; 09-20-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Paula, if you're not interested in global, but placing in the top three, your co-op could start a whole day later. The teams are usually less competitive...
    Just make sure everyone is on board with the idea and they don't select a task until the following day.

Quote Originally Posted by _DD_ View Post
    All have the same amount of time overall, and that is why it is as fair as can get.
    When there is a tie break - same points, and only then it matters - the team with the shortest overall time wins, i.e. from taking first task (NOT regatta start) to finishing last task. It is NOT the first team to reach these pts that wins! That is something that many ppl don't know, forget or overlook, and that is why these time(zone) ideas come up often.

edit: Stan, in case of a tie break, your first alternative is not valid, only the 2nd. So there is no disadvantage to a later regatta start per se.

And thus, Nevada: I don't think so.You said the procedure right, but not the consequences. The sleeping racers will naturally sleep, not race, so they can still become first with starting later and finishing faster *overall*.
    Why do y'all think there are so often complaints about having been in first till the last hours?
    Because the latecomers have prepared longer.

And believe me, members of a competitive Coop know that they shouldn't start the race as first member taking a task before going to sleep, unless all racers are well-prepared. There have been some who didn't sleep, yes, lol.
    Our team has received mixed info on tiebreaker rules. We have heard the explanation you outline above, but have also heard that tiebreakers are won by the team with the fastest task time. In other words a team that completed tasks in less than a hour on average, but took 5 days to complete the race would beat a team that completed tasks in 4 hours average but finished the race in 3 days. Confusing I know.

Just checking for confirmation. We don't want to be wrong on this. Thank you.

I too heard both version of the explanation, and i am not sure which one is the correct one, and i would very much like to find out.

For simplicity, i made a short example:
    Let's say there's a 3 day regatta with 2 coops. There are 6 tasks in total (red, green, purple, blue, orange, blue-er), that both co-ops complete and receive the same amount of points at the end of the race.
    Each 'X' represents one hour in which tasks are completed. E.g.: Co-op A completes task purple in 2h, Co-op B in 3h.

Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Total Time
    Co-op A -x----x------xx-----x----- ------------------xxx--- -----x------- 9h
    Co-op B ----xx--xx--xxx--xx----- ------x---xxxx--------- ------------- 14h

According to one explanation, Co-op B would win because all tasks were completed by Day 2, even though it took 14h total.
    The other explanation says that Co-op A would be the winner because it took only 9h to complete, even if it spread across 3 Days.

So in this case, who would be the winner: Co-op A, or Co-op B?

And regardless of the answer, i'd also like to know which version do you think it's most fair (and why)?