Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Is A Moderator Exactly?

What Is A Moderator Exactly?

Hello everyone and welcome to all the newcomers

With Playrix looking for new moderators, I think some clarifications are needed. As a former moderator for Township, I decided to chime in.

What it is not

A moderator is not an in-game function or title.

A moderator is not a paid job.

A moderator is not a Playrix employee.

What is it then?

A moderator is a voluntary job strictly exercise on the forums.

Do I need to be a moderator to help other players?

Not at all. Just get involve in the forums. Answer any questions from newcomers. This is the kind of help done on forums.

So, what do a moderator do?

Up front, a moderator help players find the answer they are looking for. It can be just a question about the game. It may be they are facing a technical problem. A moderator make sure everyone is taken care of and get an answer. If a problem seem quite frequent, mainly after an update, a moderator will pass the information to a Playrix employee to alert them.

Behind the scene, a moderator keep putting order in the hundreds of posts on the forums. This means moving, merging, deleting posts regularly. It means creating reference posts/threads that every visitor can consult easily.

A moderator has to ban spammers and trouble makers. It involves reminding peoples of the forums rules and calming heared spirits.
    Graylady, Forum member since may 2014 --- I am just a player, not a Playrix staff
    Playing on Android, not on Facebook
    Township level 200, Zoo 188 animals, --- Fishdom stop at 1518 --- Homescape stop at 650

Please read this important post by Playrix about Township : Wishes/requests already rejected by Playrix

A glutton for punishment, perhaps?
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.” ― Norman Maclean

Hi Graylady,

I´worked as a forum moderator for a lot of years so I think you forgoted something: answering same question once and again, houndred or thousand of times, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacquev View Post
    Hi Graylady,

I´worked as a forum moderator for a lot of years so I think you forgoted something: answering same question once and again, houndred or thousand of times, lol.
    Hi Jacquev

You are so right! Forgot that big one LOL I intended to put it as a first item but got sidetracked.
    Graylady, Forum member since may 2014 --- I am just a player, not a Playrix staff
    Township level 200, Zoo 188 animals, --- Fishdom stop at 1518 --- Homescape stop at 650

Please read this important post by Playrix about Township : Wishes/requests already rejected by Playrix

LOL! All very true.

Thanks for the primer, GL. I'm sure new applicants will find it useful.
    Town: Amoria (Level 90)
    Platform: iOS (WVMX6K) + Facebook
    Always looking for friends who are kind, helpful, & design their towns to look like real ones.

Thank you Graylady!
    At first i thought i misunderstood something in the original announcement when i saw over a hundred new members without any activity on the forum suddenly wanting to moderate it... Many of them seem to believe this is a paid job within the playrix staff team..
    It might be useful to add all this information in the "News" section, so they see it before applying.

Hi Dreadnought

Many newcomers seem to think it is something special IN the game. That is why I felt compelled to clarify.

I can only agree with everything that you have posted Greylady. However it can be a very rewarding role, but not for the fainthearted lol

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
    Thank you Graylady!
    At first i thought i misunderstood something in the original announcement when i saw over a hundred new members without any activity on the forum suddenly wanting to moderate it... Many of them seem to believe this is a paid job within the playrix staff team..
    It might be useful to add all this information in the "News" section, so they see it before applying.
    100 % agree, lol. That or they think it's ingame, as Graylady said, or they think it is for the FB page as forum? Many nice ppl, although many are obviously not aware of the foreigners here, so would need some understandable English and writing at least, and I haven't read all 17 pages, but from what I saw... uhm, about 2 to 3 to consider (only one where I hope P. is clever enough to admit/take her!) - IF some of these would start to write here more finally?! lol

speaking of proper information:
    What I find really annoying is that Playrix doesn't reveal, why new ones? and whether they want to add to or replace the existing Mods? If f.e. Amoria stops Mod'ding, I'd be pouting. No need to scare me so! Had enough to do with surviving Graylady's and Tassie's and hyacinth's retirement (and the frequent changes in the (mostly silent) Admins).
    In this context: Thanks so much, Graylady, for all you do here!!
    Last edited by _DD_; 08-29-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graylady View Post
    Hello everyone and welcome to all the newcomers

With Playrix looking for new moderators, I think some clarifications are needed. As a former moderator for Township, I decided to chime in.

[B]What it is not[/B

A moderator is not an in-game function or title.

A moderator is not a paid job.

A moderator is not a Playrix employee.

What is it then?

A moderator is a voluntary job strictly exercise on the forums.

Do I need to be a moderator to help other players?

Not at all. Just get involve in the forums. Answer any questions from newcomers. This is the kind of help done on forums.

So, what do a moderator do?

Up front, a moderator help players find the answer they are looking for. It can be just a question about the game. It may be they are facing a technical problem. A moderator make sure everyone is taken care of and get an answer. If a problem seem quite frequent, mainly after an update, a moderator will pass the information to a Playrix employee to alert them.

Behind the scene, a moderator keep putting order in the hundreds of posts on the forums. This means moving, merging, deleting posts regularly. It means creating reference posts/threads that every visitor can consult easily.

A moderator has to ban spammers and trouble makers. It involves reminding peoples of the forums rules and calming heared spirits.
    I may be cynical but is this not a cost cutting move on behalf of playrix, I remember when the administrators were far more active on the forum. The moderators do a great job in dealing with the repetition of moans and groans and organising posts but at the end of the day they seem have no real enablement to solve existing problems. I would welcome a more active presence of those in a position to enact real change and share information about the games. For example I would really appreciate some news of the next iMac update. It has been several months now.
    Talpa

iMac exchange coop

Codes EUY2BH Mac OS (level 223) A877VE iOS (level 82)