Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 23.08. Austin's Interview with Lead Programmer Andrey Andreev

23.08. Austin's Interview with Lead Programmer Andrey Andreev

Hi guys!

Austin the Journalist is back with a new interview! This time he asked our Lead programmer Andrey Andreev some of the most popular and interesting questions you posted on our forum and Facebook pages. Check out the secrets he's shared with us!

Hey Andrey! I'm so happy we finally met, I've heard so much about you.

Hey Austin! I'm glad to meet you too. You’re looking sharp!

Oh thanks! Let’s start with the questions then. The first one has become a tradition by this point: what inspired you to become a programmer?

I know it may sound cliche, but I've been into computers since I was a kid. My father was a radio lover and one of the first things I remember is sitting on his lap trying to type on a keyboard. I also loved circus and tricks because they make you believe magic still exists. So I thought I could become a programmer to create whole fantasy worlds with the help of computers to make people happy. And that’s what I’m doing now.

Wow, sounds like a dream come true! Do you play the game yourself?

You bet! I’m your biggest fan! (laughs) I don’t have much free time, but love playing, just reached level 230 yesterday. If you ever meet a player called Andrey during the Fireworks Festival it might be me!

Can you tell us how many people were involved in Gardenscapes development and what programming language did you use?

Well, I can easily answer the second question: we're using C++. It’s one of the best ones for mobile devices because Its functionality allows us to produce the highest possible quality in terms of graphics and overall game performance. As for the amount of people, let’s see… In the beginning there were only 3 of us, programmers, and roughly the same number of artists and designers. But now we have a team of almost 100 and it just keeps growing.

What challenges did you face in the process?

Oh, there’s enough material for a book! But the biggest challenge was to find a balance in managing limited resources in a short period of time to make a great game in the long run. That was a tough one.

How did you handle it?

Well, that's our job. It's about being creative, being able to work in a team, to compromise and listen to each other. A piece of wisdom: always start small. Baby steps. Like with your garden — you don’t restore it overnight, but with every little step you see it growing. The same works for the game too: you can’t create your dream game in one go, you need to build it gradually, combining small pieces together like a puzzle.

Speaking about puzzles: how long does it take to program one level?

We don’t actually “program” them. We created a set of tools which make it possible for level designers to put levels together. But the challenge here is different. It's not about the technical side itself, it's about being creative and thinking outside the box — it's art! Sometimes it takes a week to create a level that you’ll forget the second after you beat it. We have a large team working on that task and after careful selection and thorough testing only one of 5 levels ends up in the game.

Some of our players were wondering if there’s an algorithm that makes it easier to beat the level after being stuck on it for some time? Or is it all random?

Ah, the conspiracy theories, now we’re talking! (laughs) Sorry to disappoint, but it’s all random. Winning is a combination of trying different strategies and luck, of course. When these pieces come together the tough level surrenders.

And another thing that’s been bothering me for some time...did you notice that in the game I speak only in text? I’d love to exercise my voice, especially while singing in the garden…

I’m sure you would, and I’d be happy to hear that! But unfortunately there are limits to what we can do, and right now it’s not on our list.

Oh well...what about visiting other players’ gardens?

That’s a popular request too and we keep it in mind. Right now I can’t tell you if we’ll add this feature any time soon, but don’t lose hope! Maybe one day you’ll be able to drop by your friend’s garden to see what they’ve done with the place.

I sure hope so! And the last thing: I’m not sure it’s you that I need to ask this question, but I’ve been thinking of renewing my wardrobe lately...

Say no more! We know it must be tiresome to wear the same outfit 24/7 and we’re trying to provide at least some variety during the events and holidays. We’ll see how it can be improved.

Glad to hear that! That’s all my questions actually, thank you for answering them for me!

Always a pleasure, Austin. Take care!

Don’t forget the wardrobe!

I won’t!
    Last edited by Nataly Kuzmina; 08-23-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Haha! This was really cute and the images to echo the interview were a great addition. Favorite part:

Some of our players were wondering if there’s an algorithm that makes it easier to beat the level after being stuck on it for some time? Or is it all random?

Ah, the conspiracy theories, now we’re talking! (laughs) Sorry to disappoint, but it’s all random. Winning is a combination of trying different strategies and luck, of course. When these pieces come together the tough level surrenders.

You forgot to ask programmer why we can't keep the 2h / 6h free play we win it by beating some challenges.
    It's ours, isn't it?

Hello Austin & Andrey ,
    Could you please ask y we can't get the 2 or 6 hours free play. By winit challenges like we used to do. U used to do it then all of a sudden it quit. And can you also asked her / him how long it takes them to figure out how to get off the lower levels. I love playing this game but I get so fussraided . I know I missed spelled.sorry.. but can they give me any pointers I could use.i would appreciate it. But I would like to thank you all for this game.and God most of all

Привет, Остин и Андрей!
    Интервью интересное😊
    Теперь по игре,можно как-то прохождение уровней сделать проше либо жизни сделать влегкой доступности? Игра очень нравится один минус с жизнями 😥

And coins are to expensive. It makes me think of quit the game,,

Hey Austin you don't give enough time to bet the leave can you help me

Hey why you make the leave so hard but I love this game can't put it down but I don't have but five live

Excelente entrevista

Friendly Mod Note!

Welcome to all of our new viewers, registered and not! <3

So we can keep this place organized, and so your posts have a better chance of being seen, here's a reminder:

Please keep all posts in this thread (and every thread) on topic, that is, directly relating to the interview or the programming aspects of the game.*
    I will be moving posts that don't fit this thread.

If you have comments not related to this interview, you have a better chance of them being seen if you put them in an appropriate subforum. Please use the search function before posting to see if your questions have already been answered.

Thank you and Happy Gardening!

*I don't know if Andrey will answer more questions in the particular interview, but it's worth a shot!
    Last edited by Honor; 08-27-2017 at 03:35 AM.